How come Apple doesn't lower price?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sukai, Jul 27, 2012.

1. sukai macrumors regular

How come Apple doesn't lower price on the 2011 iMacs? Just like a lot of us agree buying the current iMac at full price is a ripoff am sure Apple does too..yet they still keep the price.

Has there ever been a time when Apple has actually lowered them on occasions like this?

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

only when they announce new models and offer EOL pricing on the outgoing models.

3. sukai thread starter macrumors regular

That makes sense but that means waiting for a new model which im about to cave in soon and get the 2011 one.
    If only they had lowered prices I would have most likely gotten the current model by now.

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Apple is making the maximum profit right now on the current iMac because they're likely buying components are the cheapest pricing. The incentive for them is to keep the price the same.

5. bf2008 macrumors member

This is their standard marketing decision. I guess perhaps they don't want to lower the price of their products to show they are still premium and worth the money. But yeah, that's the reason for a rumor site like this, and all this crazy speculation about new products.

From my perspective, I think it'd be much better if they lowered prices at a rate of let's say 20% per year. That way the bottom range iMac would cost here in the UK I think £800 instead of £1000. They don't need to do this through the apple store, but could be through online retailers such as amazon.

My opinion is that this would attract more buyers and would smooth out their sales. At the moment, when they release something they sell like crazy, but after a few months very few people buy. And this situation will get even worse with the popularity of sites like this growing.

To be fair, it is pretty annoying that once you buy an apple product you're pretty much locked into this waiting game. I would never upgrade my current macbook for an old model, I'd always wait until something new comes out. The same with all their other products. In a way it's like very bad customer service. If you have a pc you can upgrade any day you want, there's always something new, and most brands update their models or reduce prices often.

6. sukai thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah they seem to be strict on staying with the price. Sadly I cannot wait any longer and I think i'll be going with the current one.

I don't want to make another thread but a quick question to everyone:
    SSD or 32ram? I never experienced ssd before and also i don't think i would mind not having it specially with the :apple: price. I will be needing the extra ram, but i want to know you guys' opinion.

7. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

That's why the most value / best bang for the buck is to buy a new mac when it's just launched. you could buy from apple reseller for discounts though.

ssd or 32 ram ? i'm guessing you want a BTO imac with ssd+1tb HD, choose the ssd. when the memory page outs, it will access the ssd which is alot faster than the spinnin hard drive. and you can easily upgrade the ram yourself when you have the funds.

8. chekuri75 macrumors member

i think in another year or so apple will have to start lower prices on their few month old systems in order to compete in this market..

9. sukai thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah ahaha I wasn't so clear on that. I went with the 1TB. SSD was just too expensive and I think I can live without it. If anything I'll get it installed in the future but for now it will be the ram which i'll get it after the 14days just in case:D

10. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

folks have been saying that since 1985

11. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

If they weren't selling any, they'd drop the price.

As long as people pay a premium for Apple's products, they will continue to price them that way.

----------

For what it's worth... there may be a little to it on the phone side now though. It looks like Apple is going to have 2 consecutive quarters of sluggish-ish phone sales because people are holding out for a new release.

12. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

they have lowered prices on the ram. If you max out ram now you save quite a lot compared to the price before wwdc - of course the machine is still overly priced for todays standards. And of course ram is always more expensive at apple than buying them yourself and replacing them on your own.

but apple has never been about discounts and lowered prices. Take Black Friday for instance, Apples only discount day. The discounts are ridiculous, you save like a 100 bucks on a machine that cost 1500, maximum.

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

That would answer your original question then. And since you are buying it, you agree that it is worth the money and therefore not a rip-off.

14. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Why should they?

Because you and so few others think a new iMac bought today is a year old?

That's frigging hilarious!!!!!

----------

Otherwise he would not buy one.

----------

you guys crack me up, you really do!

[​IMG]

15. RustyMacVet macrumors member

If they lowered the price of their computers, everyone would think new models are coming out very soon and thus ruining their secret launches.

16. leman macrumors 604

Are you sure about that? I always thought that Apple pre-buyed large quantities of of components at a fixed price, so the price of the last gen is not really cheaper for them. Is Intel even still manufacturing the old gen? If anything, the old gen should be actually more expensive to manufacture right now, as its more profitable to Intel just to switch all production facilities to IB. I am very doubtful that Intel actually reserves a production facility for old gen CPUs just for Apple AND makes a discount for it at the same time.

17. IPlayFair macrumors member

All that I can say to you guys complaining about the price and the age of a Mac is you do have options. Order a PC configured to your liking and you will be set to go. :)

18. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Have you looked through Apple's refurbished store?

I bought a mid-2011 27" iMac with the 3.4GHz Core i7 and SSD and saved about $500 over new. They also sent me a model with 8GB of RAM instead of 4GB and 2GB of video memory instead of 1GB, so in the end I saved $700 over a new model with the same specs.

I also bought a refursb mid-2011 MacBook Air and saved $200.

19. sukai thread starter macrumors regular

So your saying its not one year old? You are saying that $500 dollars for ssd is not a rip off at this point? Yes I am getting the 2011 model and i do feel it should drop in price, nonetheless it still a great computer and at the moment am in need of one. I would gladly wait a little longer if I could, but I cannot. Just my opinion.

20. sukai thread starter macrumors regular

Wow nice savings there. am guessing it comes only with the ssd for memory? Do you plan on installing HHD or using thunderbolt if you need more?

I have looked at the refurbs in fact i remember one or two similar to yours. I should of grabbed too back then. Am interested in the 2gb VM for my current use but also future proofing it a bit.

21. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I use two Western Digital MyBook Studio 4TB FW800 drives for music and video (each is RAID0 and then I mirror them using Carbon Copy Cloner). Once external Thunderbolt drives become cost-effective, I'll switch, but FW800 is plenty fast to stream music and videos.

22. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I think both rumors are true. Where it makes sense to prevent volatile pricing from causing issue Apple is likely to buy large quantities.

On items like displays and other technology that tends to have a predictable decline in pricing i'm sure they leverage just in time pricing.

I think both methods potentially work well

23. harcosparky macrumors 68020

That's right. I'd be willing to bet you could not go into an Apple Store look through their inventory and find one that was manufactured in July 2011. it would have to have been made in July 2011 or before to be one year old.

I think SSD's are overrated and even at todays 3rd party prices are overpriced. When a 4TB SSD's sell for $650 or less ( about 2x cost of HDD ) they might be a viable option. That's just my opinion, I work with large quantities of large sized image files and for me the SSD's of today are a joke.

Enjoy your new iMac, I have on 2011 27" with the 3.4 Ghz i7 and I love it. I have two other older ones, but they still work well for us and not looking to replace wither one of them for at least another year.

24. Mackan macrumors 65816

Doesn't work well for us, the consumers, since we pay the same price, regardless... Imagine if more companies went with this tactic.

25. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

Well if you calculate the costs of each part in the computer they manufacter and the High res 27" monitor which is about $800 the iMac for instance is actually not bad bang for your buck.

I mean sure it seams pretty expensive but Apple have to MAKE some money for each sale too.
    Sure you can build a PC with far far better specs and buy an $800 high res 27" monitor for about the same price.

Apple also have been known to lower the cost of previous generation computers by $100 when a new iteration is released, but even at the lowered price the outdated technology may not always be worth the money.

Therefore I built my own PC, but I still have 2 iMacs.