How come Apple hasn't sold SSD's yet? or charge for an "upgrade"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Closingracer, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Closingracer macrumors 68000

I was thinking Apple could make decent money if they sold their SSD's for their MacBooks or at the very least charge people to bring it into an Apple store and charge them to upgrade it for them. It's not like it's soldered onto the logic board like how the RAM is ... Just that its a proprietary and as such you can't just go to Newegg and buy a SSD on their. Apple would make a killing charging or just selling SSD's at their premium price points. I for one would consider a 512GB upgrade down the line perhaps.

2. David58117 macrumors 65816

You can already buy them from third party websites..

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because they don't want you to upgrade the computer but buy a new one.

Not for current MBPs, you can only get SSDs on ebay as people pull them from existing MBPs. For what ever reason you cannot upgrade SSDs on any MBPs beyond 2012 (maybe 2013)..

4. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

It's in Apple's best interest to upsell you at the point of purchase.

For Timmy boy, profit=king.

5. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

The SSDs in those links

1. aren't the same size as Apple's drives

2. aren't the highest quality like Apple's drives

Just buy the biggest SSD at the register. Problem solved.

edit: lol both posts above me deleted their 3rd party ssd links

6. 8692574 Suspended

I deleted cause true they are not the right size but i would not say OW drives are not high quality drives......

EDIT:
    Hi, our teardown of the 2015 15″ MacBook Pro with Retina display revealed a replaceable PCIe SSD. OWC is hard at work on bringing SSD upgrades to your model. Be sure to bookmark the Rocket Yard for future official announcements.

7. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68000

There is one problem with that though.... Who knows what your use will be in say 3 years from now or perhaps you could only afford 128GB at the moment of purchase and needed it now? Apple would make a good amount of easy money if they offered an upgrade or selling imo.

8. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

I said highest quality.

They may be high quality (who knows), but they're not Apple quality.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2016 ---
    Buy an SD card drive?

Or simply save up more money and stop buying Starbucks for a month.

It's like people who buy 16GB iPhones. I don't feel sorry for them when they run outta space the next day.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Honestly with cheap 128GB flash drives around it's easier to just offload non-essential documents and media and only keep current projects on your laptop. (Still fine w/ my original 256GB in my 2012 MBP).

10. 8692574 Suspended

Apple uses a mix of Toshiba and Samsung wich are hight quality and on par with OW ...not higher.

11. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68000

SD cards are A) slower and B) might not dock from sleep? Apple didn't solder on the ssd so in theory if they wanted to offer to sell them they could.....

12. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

There's still a quality delta among drives... ever heard of binned parts?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2016 ---
    Well, that's your only option if you choose to buy the pitiful 128GB drive.

13. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

i would imagine because they have enough trouble keeping up with genuine repairs they just don't have the technician capacity to offer this sort of service.

14. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68000

I didn't buy a 128GB Drive? But you act like spending $1,299 on a laptop is just easy money to do for everybody.

15. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No one thinks that is true but if you can't afford a macbook with the specs you want there are multitude of cheaper alternatives.... I would love to drive a brand new mercedes S class but i can't aford it so i buy a second hand BMW 1 series

16. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68000

He insinuated it.... Go buy bigger? If i had the money I would gladly buy the 1TB SSD. I love my new macbook and would gladly buy it all over again but i still think its absurd that Apple basically prevents you to upgrade your storage.

17. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

That is their perogative though just as it's yours to vote with your money and buy something else..

18. Closingracer thread starter macrumors 68000

They don't want more money? As I said easy money to sell SSD's to fit the Macbook Air/ Pro.

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Not really they are not a parts company, they would just be reselling samsung parts after all, it's not worth their time or effort, just as providing premises and wages and pensions etc etc for all the technicians they would require is also not worth it for them.

In short their is not enough of a market (very few people ever upgrade their computers and apple only sell 5 million a year accross their whole range) and they could not justify the mark up they would have to charge to provide this service.

The fact that you bought one anyway even though that wasn't what you wanted is also a factor as long as people do that they have no reason to change.

20. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

This really. Wasn't happy with the change but...tbh apple threw a bone here and made memory and drives cheaper. When I did the 3rd party upgrade on my late 11 it was done because drive pricing was god awful imo. It was done since pricing imo made it damn near necessary. Drive pricing these days not that bad for apples larger sizes, at least when I got my mid 15.

Well that tbh if creeping up to the need for 1tb that indicates a data need that will get larger in time. this where externals start to come into play imo. But that may be me....I don't like "bloat" on my system. Data not actively used or even viewed for a good while gets a final copy to external (NAS in my case), and wiped off local. Like in my case of photo and video....I have the export of that video/pics from my son's event 1.5 years ago. I have not touched its project in say FCP since then. Move/archive that project to an external archive, FCP is now cleaner. Why have the FCP project source and the export when only 1 needed. haven't gone back to it in over a year...that not likely to change. If so, just bring it back off of the NAS.

21. David58117 macrumors 65816

I deleted because someone posted a link, but apparently they linked something different.

So here's the correct one:

http://store.mcetech.com/mm/merchan...&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=512GBPCIESSD-L13M14

I believe this actually is the drive Apple uses, so neither of your points are true.

At $679 though it would be cheaper to buy it at the time of purchase...but then you get the dGPU which some people don't want (unless you can do a custom order, I suppose).

22. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Thats more expensive than buying it at the time and it is only 2 lane PCIe (found in the late 2013 and 2014 models) so it is not even half as fast as the 4 lane PCIe SSD's found in the current lineup.

23. David58117 macrumors 65816

The 1TB drive is 4 lanes.

Price is besides the point, since the argument was they couldn't be purchased afterwards.

24. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes the 1TB in the 2013 /2014 models was 4 lane however all of the 2015 machines use 4 lanes whatever the capacity.

Of course price is important why wouldn't you save a bit longer and buy up front for cheaper rather than pay more down the line for a worse part??

25. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Do Toshiba offer an upgrade service? Do Acer, or Samsung? Does ANY laptop maker offer an upgrade service? No. You buy a product specced as you want and can pay for, and that's it.