Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Norco

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2007
Uh, its illegal to use someone elses WiFi signal without their permission, and if you wanted a communications device, you should have bought the iPhone...

That all depends on your state...I have heard cases where judges rule that if you don't enable the encryption/security on your device then you are making the statement that you are freely allowing other people to use your wireless internet.

quicklook2

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2007
lakewood, ohio
Well in NY they're rolling out the starbucks wifi thing soon. and theres starbucks everywhere.

you have to pay to use wifi at starbucks.

Umm...this is kinda weird, something I discovered on my macbook while in my car. I picked up a signal from a google network near a mall, and all I needed to do to use it was log using my google account.

I really have no idea what it was, I didn't realize google was giving out free wifi in some places (maybe it wasn't and I just got my account information, but I believe it was legit)

Hopefully in the future free wifi will be available everywhere

it has to do with the credit card wireless system in malls.

they had it on the news a while ago.

duve

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2007
wifi away from home

there is an excellent web app that you can find in Apple's web apps called jtwire wi-fi finder. From home start the web app, enter city, state or zip code and it will give you a list of free wifi spots in that area.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
imbored said:
Umm...this is kinda weird, something I discovered on my macbook while in my car. I picked up a signal from a google network near a mall, and all I needed to do to use it was log using my google account.

I really have no idea what it was, I didn't realize google was giving out free wifi in some places (maybe it wasn't and I just got my account information, but I believe it was legit)

Hopefully in the future free wifi will be available everywhere

It's widely documented: http://www.google.com/tisp/

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
you have to pay to use wifi at starbucks.
Just out of curiosity (I've never used WiFi at a Starbucks - it's free at all their competitors around my area) does the Apple deal with Starbucks change this for iPhone/touch users? I know you can access the iTMS free at the locations in this program, but can you use the web?

I can't believe Starbucks charges for WiFi access. I can see requiring people to buy something if they want to sit around and use WiFi, but with the kind of money they charge for coffee I always assumed it was just a bonus for their customers.

Like I said, all the other coffee shops in my area give it away... and so does McDonald's (at least 2 locations), 3 or 4 bars, a couple other restaurants, and a few other locations. I believe a few of them are secured with the password printed on your receipt changing daily or something, but it's free for customers at the minimum.

delude

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2007
UK
there is an excellent web app that you can find in Apple's web apps called jtwire wi-fi finder. From home start the web app, enter city, state or zip code and it will give you a list of free wifi spots in that area.

Thats great, if you look beforehand. If you want to go into a city and look for them all then you're screwed unless you find one.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
because its really not hard to get a Wi-Fi signal outside your home. It's actually very easy, depending on where you live.

I think that's the key.

It's not too bad here (Ottawa). I have my own WiFi hotspots in my own house and my parents' house, and I recently got permission to install one at my church (ssssh! Don't tell anyone I'm checking my email during the sermon!), and that covers off 90% of the time I need WiFi on the iPod touch. There are also key places I know I can go to get signals (the restaurant I frequent for breakfast, every Best Buy, etc., and sometimes I'll get a random signal while driving or wherever else I happen to be.

In fact it's become almost a pattern for me to settle down somewhere, pull out the touch, go "is there WiFi here? ... hmm, nope, oh well", and put it away again. :)

quicklook2

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2007
lakewood, ohio
Just out of curiosity (I've never used WiFi at a Starbucks - it's free at all their competitors around my area) does the Apple deal with Starbucks change this for iPhone/touch users? I know you can access the iTMS free at the locations in this program, but can you use the web?

I can't believe Starbucks charges for WiFi access. I can see requiring people to buy something if they want to sit around and use WiFi, but with the kind of money they charge for coffee I always assumed it was just a bonus for their customers.

Like I said, all the other coffee shops in my area give it away... and so does McDonald's (at least 2 locations), 3 or 4 bars, a couple other restaurants, and a few other locations. I believe a few of them are secured with the password printed on your receipt changing daily or something, but it's free for customers at the minimum.

you have to pay for tmobile wifi if you are in a starbucks.:eek:

does not matter if you bought coffee or whatever, it costs.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.