iPad how come the iPad Air is so buggy?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yth, Nov 3, 2013.

1. yth, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

yth macrumors member

So I finally convinced my work to buy me an iPad Air. It's pretty cool, but browsing the internet is soooo buggy. It's really frustrating. I tried using it in bed, but I gave up and switched to my laptop :(

For instance, when I try to watch videos, nothing freaking works. When I hit play, there is a 25% chance it plays. Most often, it doesn't even register that I hit the play button. If I rotate the iPad Air, it has to reload the entire video. And if I pause, rewind, or fast-forward? The video just breaks. Every single time. And I have to reload the entire page, losing whatever progress I've made in downloading it to begin with. One time I paused it and the sound stopped working. I mean, come on... you can't even write an internet browser that works in the year 2014??? I had an iMac that was less buggy than this...

This made me realize - Apple used to release great software (OSX anyone?), but they've fallen off in the last few years. iOS7 is buggy and not ready for primetime. The iPhone is using Apple Maps (a complete disaster), Yahoo as a default browser (huh?), and their crummy Mail App. Meanwhile, Google Now is absolutely killing Siri. For some reason, Apple thinks they can compete with Google in big data applications (mapping and voice) - they don't have a clue. Meanwhile, they're releasing half-assed software updates and crippling their ecosystem with inferior products.

It's a little disappointing. The iPad Air has really nice hardware, but the software is difficult to use. They don't seem to care about the user experience anymore (for instance, who uses Apple Maps?). I wish they'd get their act together and start releasing quality products (hardware + software) again.

2. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Do you have examples of websites exhibiting this behaviour, so others can check?

I have been using the Air for a day and a half and iPads / iPhones since their release and do not see this on any sites I view videos on.

3. JGWolven macrumors regular

Interesting. One of my primary uses is video watching on my Air. I haven't really had any issues browsing videos yet. What are some examples? I'm curious to test them out.

4. syd430 Guest

If you're referring to youtube (browser), then yes, it's been largely unreliable since iOS 7. I found the following to work when videos don't load: scroll the video buffer a bit forward and it should start playing.

Also, OS X (Mavericks) is still reliable.

5. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

It sound like you are having an awful experience if you switched to a laptop!

I have the Air and it's been absolutely superb so far, I am over the moon with it. Maybe you have a broken one.

6. Mrrikki macrumors regular

No issues with my browsing experience and used it fit about 5 hours each day over the last two days.

Loving it so far!

7. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

I also found this and started using Jasmine a YouTube player on the App Store after a friend recommended it. I just got the free version and it is much better than the YouTube app.

8. jjp007 macrumors regular

jjp007

So far I've only has issues w the Facebook Ap playing videos. Doesn't work at all but. I blame the ap not the iPad. It's been a crappy ap since the start.

9. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I'm using the YouTube app heavily and it's belting along :confused:

10. monk fish macrumors member

11. Phony-ID macrumors newbie

No issues here. Get yours swapped out if something.

12. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Same here.

13. leenak macrumors 68020

Agreed

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You're holding it wrong.

Just kidding.

15. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

The Air is designed so you dont have to hold it with your hands. Lol!

16. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

It seems more and more unhappy trolls on mac forums these days...

17. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

Replace (the) with (my) it will make more sense as it's YOU that is having problems with YOUR iPad Air.

If it were me I would head over to the Apple Store

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Sounds like you need to give that iPad Air back. But I have to wonder if most of your complaints are based on what you've read rather than what you experienced. Have you *tried* the current Apple Maps? While the launch was botched, that was over a year ago, and much has changed since.

Yahoo as a browser? Yahoo doesn't *make* a browser. So i'm not sure what you're seeing there. And videos have been loading fine for me long before the iPad Air.

I'm wondering if your work (which bought you the iPad) installed a configuration profile that might be restricting things like video playback and what search engine you can use.

19. tl01 macrumors 65816

I set up my air as new and it isn't buggy at all. I'm enjoying it more than my other iPads.

20. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

my only complaint about the air is iOS 7. I was out of the iOS ecosystem for about 8 months, and I find 7 to be a little uh.... bright? Loud? Either way, I'm really happy with the improvements they made. Just the actual colors and icons are throwing me off a bit.

There are a few minor bugs here and there as well, but I'm sure that's more an iOS 7 thing than an iPad thing. I'm really happy with my air, and so far I haven't encountered any issues with videos. I used it a lot yesterday and watched several videos without any problems.

21. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Everything is buggy because Steve Jobs is not around anymore. Apple is not going to success. :apple:

22. Skika macrumors 68030

This is normal because the Air has less available RAM than iPad 3 or iPad 4, because of the 64 bit CPU apps need 20-30% more RAM to run.

23. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

24. bobright macrumors 601

It's not for me mine flys, even installed some HUGE apps and heavy resource games with no lag.

25. bridgesldn macrumors newbie

No such problems with my air, can you give some examples?

Not true, that is not normal. The Air performs exceptionally.