How cynical we've become.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Phenotype, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Phenotype macrumors newbie

Reading the responses to today's event on here is depressing.

"Apple blew it"

"This was a major **** up on their part"

"Hello Samsung!"

We've become so cynical haven't we? We want it new, we want it all, and we want it NOW.

I don't expect them to completely redesign their products every year, nor would I ever want them to. Can you imagine how much it would reduce the value, monetarily and mentally, of their products if they did? Let's have a little appreciation for the iPhone 4.

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Mostly testosterone built up preteen nerds with nothing better to do.

3. brazil5376 macrumors member

couldn't agree with you more

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Amen. This always happens after every media event, nobody is happy. In a few days, everyone will calm down and once preorders start everyone will be giddy again.

5. cinger0439 macrumors regular

cinger0439

Thank you, finally someone with some sense.

What is it with our culture? We root for the underdogs, we build them up and then we can't wait to rip them apart when we are "disappointed."

Something is very wrong with this picture.

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Yup. Same thing with the i4 even, or the 3GS. Lots of cry babies, ect. - and then the 3GS went on to vastly outsell the 3G.

This product will sell like hot cakes.

7. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Well said! the design of the 4 was a masterpiece. There is not another phone that come close to the fit and finish. I don't hear people complaining about the imac or macbook not getting redesigned every year. Just enjoy these nice phones and be proud that you have the phone that every other company wished they could produce.

8. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Agreed! I think people want an iPhone that is designed specifically to their individual needs. Forget about the other iPhone users, I want it my way and I want it right now! You can't please them all is a cliche most fit to describe that group of people. Everybody wants a personal experience with everything. And if they can't have it their way, they respond with insensitive behavior.

9. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

I don't know if it's disappointment but really a bit of shock that mighty Apple can't come up with a new phone after 16 months while Samsung, HTC, and others come up with newer hardware designs every three months in various sizes. Not comparing phones but how some companies with fewer resources are able to bring new technology (LTE, screen size, etc.) out so quickly.

10. iMacC2D, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  11. oneofthesedaves macrumors regular

If Apple had changed the case, everybody would be blown away right now. I'm pretty excited about it. I have been really enjoying iOS5 beta for the last week and can't wait to get the iPhone 4S. That's a huge spec bump. My only complaint is that Tim is a crappy and boring presenter. He needs to find somebody better to handle that. Somebody who can bring excitement.

12. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

How's that working out for them? None of them have a cult following like Apple and they all wish they were Apple. You'd think with so many redesigns they would have hit a home run by now, yet the iPhone is still the most desired phone with the highest satisfaction ratings.

And every few months the next iPhone killer is hyped up and then fades away. Same with the tablet wars. The TouchPad, the Playbook, and the Xoom were all supposed to be iPad killers. Where are they know? The Playbook is discounted 40% of its original price, The TouchPad is dead, and the Xoom leads a quiet life far away from any spotlight.

13. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Agreed. We didn't see Sprint shelling out 20 billion over four years for millions of Android phones, did we? Spring knows what will sell through the most.

14. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

So it's OK for Apple to rest on it's laurels because they own the market? Isn't that the height of arrogance and is what opens the door to an eventual fall? I know many people who are not impressed with the IP4 and who will switch. You wouldn't have heard this a year ago. Android has come a long way in the last year and their continued momentum will eventually hurt Apple.

15. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

As much as people are going to tell me off for this, it's partly Apples fault. They set the bar for themselves by telling people year after year how magical and revolutionary their products are, you can't blame people for expecting revolutionary stuff the next time around.

If you went to a restaurant 3 times in a row and the food was amazing, and the fourth time it was average, nothing like you had the previous times, wouldn't you be disappointed?

16. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

What a bunch of apologists. Companies don't tell consumers what they want, consumers tell companies what they want. Clearly, consumers -- who are being asked to pay $299 or $399 for a handset -- are telling Apple:

1. Get with the times on screen size (3.5" ain't cutting it)

2. Release a real 4G phone

3. Make the phone thinner / lighter

4. Make the phone more durable (no glass back!)

I refuse to apologize for asking for features that exist in the market right now on other products and should be on a phone that had 16 months to incubate.

17. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Where has this information come from? How many of your customers have asked repeatedly for these 4 things?

18. cward0715 macrumors regular

One thing you're forgetting is that we're consumers and those who wanted a change have every right to be upset. It's not our job to marvel at everything Apple puts out, just because its Apple.

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

I agree with both the OP and this post.

People don't realize how impatient, spoiled, shallow, selfish, self-centered, cynical, and materialistic they have become.

As Carrie Fisher once said, "Self-gratification takes too long."

But I also agree with the quote above. People aren't appreciating those other companies who not only have to be suppliers, but have limited sources than Apple. Samsung is in different markets too and just can't focus at one thing all the time. You see them churning out phones and coming out with different ideas and form factors for many different people and platforms. Apple only has to worry about ONE phone, ONE OS, and work on the software and exterior design while they don't exactly manufacture them and let the Asians do all the dirty work.

What I'm really trying to say is give them all a break. They all work their asses off. The global economy is not in great shape right now. More important things than wasting our money on a new phone every single year. And even at a fast rate, people will still complain and have buyer's remorse because they got the previous model just recently. If tech moves slower, they still complain.

You can't please everyone.

20. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I know "consumers" pretty well because I used to work retail and I talk to a lot of people even today. Most people don't know what the hell 4G is (other than it being a buzzword, so they are aware something called 4G exists but as to how its relevant to their lives, 90% wouldn't be able to tell you).

To 99% of people 4G, LTE, and all that are just buzz words or noise. They want a phone that works, is reliable, takes good photos, and is easy to use (won't require them to seek help or come up with prompts that they will need to ask advice on how to handle).

I have never heard anyone but maybe one person who is a Droid geek clamor for a larger phone.

I don't think anyone thinks the iPhone is currently too heavy or thick for a phone. We have come a long way since 1998, and almost any phone today easily fits in a pocket and is pretty comfortable to hold.

The iPhone happens to be the thinnest smart phone on the market (or definitely one of the thinnest), and its also pretty light. Like I said, I have never heard of anyone picking up the iPhone and saying "damn, I wish it was a bit thinner" or "damn, thats just too heavy"

The phone is also plenty durable. I have dropped mine a few times and its just fine, not a scratch. If you are a big klutz get a good case. It is unlikely that any phone with a glass front would be significantly more durable in real world usage than an iPhone. If you drop a phone that has a giant glass screen, you are bound to ruin it (and if the fall is bad enough to damage the back, it is probably big enough to damage the front too).

Anyway, my point was going to be that Yes, Apple announced something magical and revolutionary before, but damn, how often can you have a revolution? Just because they announced a revolutionary product once doesn't mean that EVERY product is going to scrap all previous products and start from scratch too until the end of time.

21. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

It was never Apples intention of a redesign this time. To say they CAN'T come up with a new phone after 16 months is crazy. They can do whatever they want, they could do a new phone every month if they wanted to, but they don't. The rumor mill did this, not Apple. It was pretty clear looking at the 3G/3GS. Same thing here. As for your statement about companies with fewer resources- one of the reasons Apple has the resources it has is because they maximize ROI, and just because the outside isn't new does not mean they didn't spend a s***load on money on the inside.

It's pretty clear now that Apple will use a 2 year cycle for form factor changes. So... next year we will see a new design. So take note, the phone that comes out in 2013 will look just like the phone that comes out in 2012.

22. D4F Guest

D4F

That is the problem or blessing Apple don't see. They are milking same cow and you are all cheering for more.
    Case design? bigger screen? 2 models? A issue with $80B cash on account?
    Thay are simply using that fan base to get more for absolute minimum.
    A5 how long is in iPad2?
    3G+ how long is in the market?
    Voice commands how long in android phones working awesome?

Will it sell. Of course it will but that's only cause so many follow apple like sheeps. Yo don't expect the best from them. All you need is a logo.

That is why other companies not only caught with apple (which seemed impossible) so quick but in just a few days they will surpass it and we have what another 12months + for another iPhone?

People really need to start look more objectively at things like technology.
    If you praise it - fine with me just don't try to prove others are worse cause you simply look retarded while trying so hard. Facts are given. You can't change them :)

23. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

24. K4LK macrumors 6502

K4LK

Well said! All the accessories for iPhone 4 will work with iPhone 4S. I'm sure all the 3rd party suppliers are thrilled about that (except the leaked tapered cases from China). I'm thrilled. I can't understand why people are disappointed. It's completely redesigned inside. Because it looks like an iPhone 4 it's not new? :confused: