Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2009
For years I was an iPhone guy, then for the last two years I’ve been using the Samsung galaxy S7 Edge and now the S8 mostly. Now that the iPhone X is out, it really looks awesome and its very tempting to me so I went back to my iPhone 7 for the last two weeks to just see if I could adjust and use the iOS ecosystem again long term with a new iPhone and so far I love it so I am getting closer to deciding to get the X.

The ONLY thing I have really missed these past two weeks is the display of the Galaxy phone. Everything is so vibrant, super bright, and contrast is amazing due to dark blacks with super AMOLED. Pumping up brightness on my iPhone 7 and watching a movie looks franky horrible to me now, all the darker colors have a super pronounced bluish glow to it like you would have with any LCD. I know that the iPhone 7 isn’t OLED but this just made me realize how much good OLED performance would matter to me in daily use if I got the iPhone X

To anyone who has been around a lot of other OLED screens or have come from the Galaxy S7 or S8, how does the iPhone x OLED display compare? How BLACK are the blacks? Do different OLED screens differ in how dark the blacks can get or is all OLED created equal?

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2009
I look at the blacks on the iPhone X and think, how much more black could they be? The answer is none. None ... more ... black.
even when watching something in the dark? :D . movies in bed on a phone is my nightly pastime

Reactions: Jetcat3

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Considering that blacks on OLED screens means that no pixel is actually lit up means that they can’t get any darker.
so your'e saying that all OLED displays are the same in terms of how black they get? im not very educated in this

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
so your'e saying that all OLED displays are the same in terms of how black they get? im not very educated in this
They should be since none of them will light any pixels to display black. The difference is how saturated the bright colors are.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
OLED is lit in each individual pixel. So if it should be black, it’s completely turned off... So it’s as black as it can be.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

As others have said, the individual pixels for OLED can be turned off, as where LCD displays is backlit, when the blacks are not as true.

Reactions: KONVICTED

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Perfectly black. I made my home screen wallpaper a photo of Jupiter with space at the top, and it is impossible to see the notch. It just blends together. This is true in daylight and in a perfectly dark room.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
If you had a perfectly black picture on your screen, and turned the brightness all the way up on the iPhone, and turned off the lights in a perfectly pitch black room, you would gaze upon your iPhone and see... nothing.

Reactions: Ntombi

twisted_mind

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2015
The blacks are perfect blacks alright. However since the OP mentions the S7/S8 as a comparison, I would still say the S8 makes colours pop more. I’m not an expert in colour accuracy but from what I read the X supposedly has natural and accurate colour reproduction. Blacks are on par with the S7/S8. Colors in my opinion are a little toned down. This coming from someone who’s always has the Galaxy S series on Amoled Basic setting so its not like I’m a sucker for the oversaturated pop-out displays.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
The OLED display on the iPhone X is better than the OLED display on any phone, including Samsung. Blacks emit no light.

That being said I think the screen could be coated differently for darker blacks as the Apple Watch blacks look inkier but that’s an effect of the deep black color of the Watch glass.

KONVICTED

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Black looks pure dark on OLED compared to LCD. I can completely see the difference on both display's side by side.

Reactions: Ntombi

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Black looks pure dark on OLED compared to LCD. I can completely see the difference on both display's side by side.

Good point. And that makes a huge difference, is if you have them side-by-side, you really can see the differences versus looking at displays separately.

Reactions: KONVICTED

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
If you have an iPhone X, try playing this 4K HDR video on it. Fast forward to the night scenes of the City in the last third of the video. Play it in a dark room with the screen brightness cranked up to at least 3/4 brightness. You will see very quickly what makes OLED displays special.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
OLED tv's are pure magic for this reason :D

and phones, but to a lesser extent imo

no longer staring down a backlight

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.