Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
. . . . n o t e v e r y o n e w i l l g e t t h i s . . .

Like a fly trapped in a bottle of shadows.

The blackness! The end! Where are we sleeping tonight, Mother? In Father's Grave!

They tap at my window with tiny paws

. . . . n o t e v e r y o n e w i l l g e t t h i s . . .

Illumiiinati

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2015
Perfectly black. I made my home screen wallpaper a photo of Jupiter with space at the top, and it is impossible to see the notch. It just blends together. This is true in daylight and in a perfectly dark room.
Wallpaper link please

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Wallpaper link please

link to full-size

I rotated and cropped this before making it my background.

The OLED display is a GREAT way to enjoy the amazing shots coming out of our space program these days...

Thumb

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
even when watching something in the dark? :D . movies in bed on a phone is my nightly pastime

They are completely black and devoid of light. As I mentioned elsewhere, I was watching Netflix a few nights ago on my phone in complete darkness. It was a night scene with a lamp light moving into and out of the frame (episode 1 of Godless, if anyone cares). Every time the scene was completely dark, I was in pitch black and couldn’t see even my hands. And when the light came into view, that HDR screen really made it feel like fire was lit in front of me.

Also, whenever there is some true black on the screen, you can’t find where the screen ends and the black bezel begins.

Of course, this is not surprising for anyone who knows how OLEDs work. Blacks are basically parts of the screen that is turned off.

It looks beautiful.

Reactions: redman042

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
link to full-size

I rotated and cropped this before making it my background.

The OLED display is a GREAT way to enjoy the amazing shots coming out of our space program these days...

Thumb

Quite possibly one of the most evocative images I've ever seen, but I have to confess, from the first time I saw it earlier this year, it gave me an irrational sense of unease that I cannot account for and do not understand.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
I'm a Android user as well, I've used both an iPhone and an Android phone for many many years now..lol since the early HTC days.

What I can say is this having owned just about every Galaxy s and note as well as all the iPhones...The blacks are black on the X, oled black, not LCD black like previous iPhones.

If that's your only concern and you like iOS, you will really like the iPhone X!

However the screen is not as colorful and saturated as the Samsung phones, but most are cool with that. I for one prefer the new Notes screen as a whole, but the iPhone X suites all my needs and is pretty much apples nicest screen yet.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
The OLED display on the iPhone X is better than the OLED display on any phone, including Samsung. Blacks emit no light.

That being said I think the screen could be coated differently for darker blacks as the Apple Watch blacks look inkier but that’s an effect of the deep black color of the Watch glass.

Disagree...the notes screen is nicer and the S8 is pretty much right up there as well.

A better argument is that this is Apples best iPhone screen, but saying it's the nicest ever and beats a recent Samsung Galaxy S or notes screen is pretty much not accurate.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I would say they are both terrific displays and it comes down to personal taste. Though I think it is indisputable that the iPhone X display is more accurate. And it is certainly capable of of bright, saturated colors if you play an HDR video on it. It just doesn't default to that on the home screen or apps.

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
Nope...I trust my own eyes...lol
Ive owned both phones...They are about equal with a slight edge going to the S8 which I feel is a bit cooler compared to the warmer IPhone X.

Note is in a league of its own IMO.

Suggest you check out DisplayMate. The X scores better than the S8 and even edges out your vaulted Note 8. :p

Can’t really argue with the depth of testing that they do. Anyway both phones have great displays.

Russell L

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
San Francisco
If you have an iPhone X, try playing this 4K HDR video on it. Fast forward to the night scenes of the City in the last third of the video. Play it in a dark room with the screen brightness cranked up to at least 3/4 brightness. You will see very quickly what makes OLED displays special.

Thanks so much for this! It’s exactly what I’ve been looking for to demo the quality of the X’s screen. It looks amazingly vivid and sharp, with the images having that extra ‘pop’ that HDR provides.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.