How dark should I tint the windows on my car?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MoodyMedStudent, Mar 2, 2011.

1. MoodyMedStudent macrumors member

I have a white '11 VW Golf and was wondering how dark I should tint my car. Is 35% a popular choice?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have 35% on my windshield, limo on the front two windows and 20% over the smoked rear windows and glass of my truck. My truck is white and the dark windows make it look really sharp.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Might want to check your local statutes concerning the gradation of tinting allowed.

4. MoodyMedStudent thread starter macrumors member

So I got a quote from several car-tint companies in the city and they're all charging $220-250. However my VW car dealership wants to charge me $380... is it worth it to go with the dealership and shell out the extra $150?

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The dealership probably doesn't do the tinting itself but contracts it out to a 3rd part (probably one of the other places you got a quote from).

6. MoodyMedStudent thread starter macrumors member

That's what I remember being told by the dealer previously as well... so the extra cash is just profit for the dealer?

Does tinting the window void the warranty of a car?

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Doubtful since it can be removed if needed.

Also, Ontario tinting laws are very vague, unlike most US states which quote actually percentages, Ontario just says something about cabin visibility.

Also remember, if you drive to another province or US state your car may be in violation of their tinting laws.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

no it does not.
    If Canada car warrenty laws are like the US they can only void warranty that is direct effected by modifications. For if you different shocks on your car they can not void the warranty on the engine as that modification does not effect the engine.

As for tinting no it should not. The only think it MIGHT void is your rear defroster and that is only if you remove the tinting because of how tinting gets removed the wires on the rear defroster might get damaged.

For me personally I will go legal limit but then again I live in Texas so dark tinting is really helpful in the summer.

9. Xeperu macrumors 6502

0. Unless you want to look like a douche.

Stock cars are the only way not to look like one.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you are not in one of those southern states are you.
    Here in Texas most people tint their windows not because it looks good but because it makes the inside of the car a hell of a look cooler in the summer.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Agreed. Some states have regulations so that you can't tint your windows so dark that law enforcement can't see inside when they are approaching your vehicle.

12. snakelda macrumors 6502

In Arizona,it is 35% in the front windows and the back windows can be whatever you want. When I bought my car,it had 14% tint and the tint was pretty dark until I got stopped by a sheriff and told me to take it off. Sucks because it gets pretty hot in Az.

13. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

My wife and I moved one of our vehicles to Phoenix, and I had the windows tinted pretty aggressively (I don't remember the percentages) because it'd spend a lot of time sitting in a hot parking lot. It's great for the summer, but it does make the car harder to drive at night - the tint really lowers the overall visibility, especially out the rear window. I wish we had gone one shade lighter.

14. MacVixen macrumors 6502

14% or 41%?
    I only ask because based on your statement, seems as though 14% should have been perfectly legal and the cop wouldn't be able to tell you to take it off.

15. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Dark enough so you cannot see out of them. This has the added benefit of you not being able to drive, ergo you save the planet a little :)

16. Xeperu macrumors 6502

Alright alright, touché.

17. snakelda macrumors 6502

I thought it was the lower the percentage, the darker the film is? Cop said that 35% was the lowest tint I can go.

18. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's a toss-up between Kidnapper Black™ and Sexual-Assault-in-the-Backseat-Of-A-Car Black™.

20. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

*laugh*
    Exactly what I was going to write, but I see you beat me to the ™.
    :D

21. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Why don't you fit a remote starter on your car to run the AC for a couple minutes before you get in?
    :D

I couldn't do the tint! It's already dark enough at night for me (my vision at night isn't as good as in the day at all) and .. I wouldn't want it darker

22. MoodyMedStudent thread starter macrumors member

"Ontario - For the driver’s compartment, right and left, no film can be installed that would substantially obscure visibility from the exterior. Behind the driver’s compartment, any film can be installed."

Not helpful...

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

How dark should I tint the windows on my car?

How ugly are you? :eek:

You seem to be doing quite well, for a med student. ;)

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Let's apply this logic elsewhere:

A new MBP is $1199 from Apple. It's $949 at Amazon. Where do you buy it?

Kinda silly to pay more for something if you don't get more to go along with it.

Nope.

Like Rodimus Prime says, it can get hot as blazes here in the summer. Even at full blast, it can take the A/C upwards of half an hour to cool the inside down, even with window tint. Darkening the windows makes an enormous difference.

I have no tint on the windshield, about 25% on the front windows, and about 50% on the rear and back windows - that's what was on the truck when I bought it new. I'd like to go up to 0/35/65. Texas allows up to 75%.