How did Apple mess up the headphone skip?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by johnseattle, Aug 2, 2013.

1. johnseattle macrumors member

Man I use that all the time. I don't get how they missed that huge bug

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Um..this is not the final release, these things happen in betas as they are changing lots of code. It will be fixed by the final release. Downgrade if you can't deal with it. Otherwise wait a week and see if they've fixed it by the next beta.

3. pottyvick macrumors regular

Probably cause it was beta and they didnt look for that... i hardly use the earphones so i could see how they missed it...

4. carlos mara macrumors newbie

Try to do a clean upgrade! From 6.1.x to iOS 7 b4 not via OTA. I do like this and no problem.

5. pmontanarella macrumors 6502

They didn't miss it. It's called beta for a reason. It has bugs, even bugs that are known to Apple. Unlike public releases; Apple prioritizes following a release schedule for betas rather than waiting until they've got all the bugs worked out. There's a reason why you're not supposed to use it on your daily driver.

As for the issue, it is only affecting the music.app as far as I know therefore if you download a 3rd party music player you should be able to use it without issues, however, I can't guarantee that.

Pietro

6. johnseattle thread starter macrumors member

Yes I get its beta but at some point they should be moving forward with fixes not backwards. Let's not always give apple the beta free pass for everything.

7. Jab00 macrumors regular

No I completely agree! How about we cut it down the middle and give them the beta excuse for things that are in beta?:eek:

8. pottyvick macrumors regular

You would give them that pass when the software is in BETA... now if it was the public release then i would agree...

You are about to get the good ol' "This is for Developers only, not meant as a daily driver"...

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iOS betas are not designed to be used as an everyday OS. They are designed for one thing and one thing only, for developers to update their iOS apps for the new iOS version. If you're having problems with it, use it only on your development device or wait for the public release.

10. batting1000 macrumors 604

In a perfect world, developers will use the betas only on development devices and I think Apple knows full well that most don't. It wouldn't surprise me if people at Apple use it on their main device.

11. pottyvick macrumors regular

While that may be true, you can't expect for everything to work well in a BETA. Works both ways...

12. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yep, I know, just sayin'.

13. shenfrey macrumors 68000

EDIT

ignore this message, I cannot be bothered with hassle you get from people.

14. pottyvick macrumors regular

Here's the get out of jail free card... Developers only. It's not like they are stuck in beta software, go back to 6.1.4 and you will be ok...

15. iBreatheApple, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

The moral superiority during beta seasons in this forum... [​IMG]

In defense of the OP, if people didn't use them on their daily drivers there would be so much more that went unnoticed.

16. batting1000 macrumors 604

Exactly. I don't understand how Apple expects to get the most feedback out of a beta period when they tell developers to only use the beta on dedicated dev devices. Yes, I know it's not stable and it's supposed to help devs test their apps, and this, and that, but if people are solely using this to test apps, most of the bugs would go unnoticed.

17. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Why do we need yet another thread about this??

Sometimes features get broken in betas and fixed in the next. Thats what happens. And I wouldn't call it a HUGE bug. A HUGE bug would be not being able to receive calls etc.

18. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

Oh thought my headphones were messed up. Good to know its only a software issue then.

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple has their retail store employees use iOS betas for general bug detection. Those employees are also covered under the NDA and not allowed to talk about iOS betas. Having a closely watched army of employees search for bugs makes having the general public use the beta rather pointless as the general public doesn't report beta bugs or isn't able to.

20. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

This is still such a minuscule number of testers compared to the general public that downloads the betas. I know people that are clueless when it comes to technology but still have iOS 7 on their devices. People love the new features. Anyway, getting slightly off track, there's a lot of good that comes from all this beta testing; there is really no downside for Apple.

21. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

So TC is complaining about a software that is not meant for him yet? I can't even compare that to anything, man people nowadays

22. newtestleper macrumors 6502

Love how everyone drops the "daily driver" line now.

23. appleisking macrumors 6502a

24. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

What is this bug OP is talking about? I haven't heard anything about it.

25. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Ok, that statement tells me you're not a developer. I don't mean this in a snarky way at all I'm just simply explaining:

In development, critical bugs are always first to get fixed. When they get fixed you will get new bugs, there is no way around it. Critical bugs are anything that is crash related, security related, or keeps the program from functioning at all.

Something like headphones are not considered showstopping by any means and the bug is likely caused by some type of rewrite of core functionality. Once that core functionality is working correctly anything it affected will be fixed.

As for not giving apple the free beta pass, you have to. There's no other option. Its a beta not a release which means they are building the final version, ironing out all of the bugs and getting the release version ready for the public.

Getting mad at Apple for a beta bug is kind of silly because the final product is still being built.