Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Being asian myself, I don't see where this comes from? I always hear jokes about it and I'm like *question mark pops up*. Are asians known to be bad drivers? Everyone in my family are good drivers. My dad is probably one of the best I know. So enlighten me.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
I have no idea how it started. Where I went to college, there was a large portion of the campus that was foreign. It was always "those foreign drivers are horrible!", and not specific to a certain group. I've been to Europe and South America and driving styles vary greatly. I think Americans in particular have a "set" way of thinking about driving.

It was kind of scary driving with people who lived in the Caribbean their whole life in snow :). Gotta learn somehow though right?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i don't think it's asians overall. rather, i think it's older asian women. still, i don't know how the stereotype came about.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I've never heard that stereotype about asians...others, but nothing about being bad drivers. :confused:

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
i don't think it's asians overall. rather, i think it's older asian women. still, i don't know how the stereotype came about.

every single time I go shopping in ktown, older korean women are always the ones blocking other cars in parking lots for 10 minutes waiting for a car that's not leaving while there's a perfectly good spot 10 feet over...not necessarily in regards to driving, but some of them have the worst attitude ever about it.

next on the list, older korean women who cross the street when the left-turn-light is green, preventing cars from making left turns at crowded intersections that are bad enough if cars could turn left, but because they can't cause there's some idiot crossing the street..some of them have the nerve to give you the finger or curse at you...jeez.

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
Quite frequently when I see a car (usually a Japanese car) driving slow in the left lanes, it is an older Asian woman and I find that often they never look in their mirrors or to the side, so it as if they are driving in a tunnel and oblivious to those around them. So when I hear the joke, it kind of makes sense to me sadly.

adrianblaine

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2006
Pasadena, CA
From the US version of The Office (Season One: Episode 2)

Pam: [during a role-playing exercise] Okay, if I have to do this, based on stereotypes that are totally untrue, that I do not agree with, you would maybe..not be a very good driver.
Dwight Schrute: [role playing as an Asian] Aw, man! I'm a woman?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The stereotype is true, but only for asians who immigrate to North America or any other "western" country that isn't very crowded.

However, the stereotype doesn't really differentiate between immigrants and "native" asians. I drive well. I know I do. However, there are some asian people who appear to drive poorly because their driving style is so different. In many asian countries, it's so busy that you really need to push and shove a bit to survive. You're an ant in a really crowded place, so you need to "fight" a bit to get where you need to go. Same with on the road. Their driving laws matter less. Even when there's only a small space to sneak in between, or a small parking spot, you need to take it.

When they move to North America, they seem completely wreckless, but I don't even think they realise that they appear to be a danger.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
... in parking lots...
:p See, I swear, I think Asian women are horrific in parking lots. But on the road, driving? 'Round these parts? I swear, Caucasian women are worse on the road. Just what I've noticed.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
:p See, I swear, I think Asian women are horrific in parking lots. But on the road, driving? 'Round these parts? I swear, Caucasian women are worse on the road. Just what I've noticed.

I think people not paying attention, talking on their cellphones or otherwise distracted are worst. But yeah...parking lots...god I hate that so much. It's the only time I ever honk or scream lots of profanity at people.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC

I think people not paying attention, talking on their cellphones or otherwise distracted are worst. But yeah...parking lots...god I hate that so much. It's the only time I ever honk or scream lots of profanity at people.

White women + cellphones + large SUVs = worst.combo.ever.

I once got stuck behind a (white) woman in a monstrous SUV who started to take a right turn from a left-turn-only lane, cut in front of me, decided to go straight instead, then stopped immediately in front of me (at a green light) to talk on her cell phone. I couldn't merge right because traffic was flowing, so I sat there, watching her chit chat. I honked, she looked at me disapprovingly. 2 green lights later she got off the phone and drove through the intersection when it was red. :mad:

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC

a car in front of me was driving erratically today, swerving unpredictably, going fast and then going slow, all sorts of bad driving. it looked a lot like drunk driving, but it was too early in the day for that. it turned out to be an asian girl, somewhat young, talking on her cell phone. it pissed me off to no end. ugh! :mad:

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Asian (at least, Japanese) culture is based on 'the group'. You're either in or out. My theory is that this extends to the car. Everyone else on the road is in a different group. This can plainly be seen where Asians pull out in moving traffic as soon as they see a gap. Once they have their place the cars behind no longer exist. While westerners would be reading the traffic speed and flooring the pedal to reach the traffic speed and not disturb the flow, your average Asian has their place and that's as far as the thought process goes. Meanwhile everyone behind has to slam on their brakes. The problem is compounded because everyone behind (at least on Asian roads) is too polite to toot their horn and teach the errant driver a lesson. Road rage serves a purpose: it keeps us in check.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Does not help my view of the stereotype when 90% of the street racers we have here that get into serious accidents are asian.

I have been hit by a car twice in my life, both times it was a caucasian female - actually it was the same person, year apart, in the same car on the same intersection...

so there goes that part of the stereotype...

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Does not help my view of the stereotype when 90% of the street racers we have here that get into serious accidents are asian.

I have been hit by a car twice in my life, both times it was a caucasian female - actually it was the same person, year apart, in the same car on the same intersection...

so there goes that part of the stereotype...

maybe destiny is trying to tell you something there. ;)

"hey, nice to see you. do this again next year?" :)

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
The stereotype is true, but only for asians who immigrate to North America or any other "western" country that isn't very crowded.

However, the stereotype doesn't really differentiate between immigrants and "native" asians. I drive well. I know I do. However, there are some asian people who appear to drive poorly because their driving style is so different. In many asian countries, it's so busy that you really need to push and shove a bit to survive. You're an ant in a really crowded place, so you need to "fight" a bit to get where you need to go. Same with on the road. Their driving laws matter less. Even when there's only a small space to sneak in between, or a small parking spot, you need to take it.

When they move to North America, they seem completely wreckless, but I don't even think they realise that they appear to be a danger.

I live in Shanghai. I can vouch for this. I'm quite used to it now though. But whenever I'm in a taxi there's always some close calls. And if you just observe traffic from afar, you'll see a lot of things that you would never see in America. If someone is turning out onto the road, they'll do so regardless of how fast or dangerous oncoming traffic is. It's up to the other cars to slow down and swerve slightly, or speed up and bolt right past the guy trying to turn out. You have to have a VERY close call for people to disapprove of it, and even then, it doesn't happen that often.

Plenty of Europeans drive here, though, with international licenses. Don't know of any North Americans who do, however. Probably because the streets of Europe are more similar to the streets of Asia than those of NA. Americans and Canadians shiver at the thought of taking a drive on the streets of Shanghai, and instead opt for a seemingly safer but just as dangerous activity, bike-riding/scooter-driving.

XNine

macrumors 68040
I've never heard the "asians are bad drivers" sterotyping, where I live it's the "mexicans are bad drivers" that you'll hear a lot.

I just hate asians because they can wake up, shake their head and their hair looks awesome. They don't even have to brush it. It just looks great. All the time. And it pisses me off that my german ancestors couldn't have born with hair like the asian cultures have. :( Stupid stupid kraut genes! :p

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
IN MY EXPERIENCE the only drivers I've found to be worse than old people happen to have been Asians... (and that's only because old people are so damn slow) Been nearly killed several times and saw the culprits, FTR most were women. Might just be rotten luck but somehow I think Asians have me on their targets for destruction list or something. :eek: (but)

Bad drivers come in all colours, shapes and ages though. </disclaimer>

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
and I thought I was bad enough cause I was a teenage asian female, stereotypes galore :rolleyes: :p
Oh noes!
panic.gif

:p

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
Well, where I live there are constantly Asians coming down from Vancouver and Richmond to shop. So here they have a bad reputation and for good reason, but at the same time... most of us here, when we see someone driving crazy, we look to see if it has BC (British Columbia) license plates. Please stop turning rigth from the left turn lane! :D

Edit: In all fairness though, its not just the Asians that come down ;)

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
I just hate asians because they can wake up, shake their head and their hair looks awesome. They don't even have to brush it. It just looks great. All the time. And it pisses me off that my german ancestors couldn't have born with hair like the asian cultures have. :( Stupid stupid kraut genes! :p

Since when? I have really stiff hair that doesn't listen to me. When I wake up I look like Einstein. Takes quite a bit to tame my hair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.