How Did No One Notice...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carebearsx3, Jun 13, 2010.

1. carebearsx3 macrumors regular

When Steve Jobs announced that the steel band going around the phone would double as an antenna, everyone was surprised. This begs the question, in the tear-downs by Gizmodo and Vietnam, how did no one notice that the antennas were missing from the device?

2. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Which makes me ask the question... if there were no antenna's... How was this "lost phone" being used by the "loser"... Can we say controlled leak?? :D I think they wanted everyone to get used to the new look before launch... I mean, we were all still surprised at the keynote right? Apple knew EXACTLY what they were doing... leaking the final version didn't leak too much at all...

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm not sure how they work. But my guess is the the other iPhones have an antenna integrated onto the main logic board and along with the other traces they look like nothing special.

4. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

Gizmodo isn't a bunch of engineers. They're gadget bloggers. Somebody like iSupply would have to have done the teardown to know about the antennas.

5. Cambot macrumors regular

I thought it was a plant to distract us and thought the outward appearance would be drastically different (being the same as the current iPhones). But I was wrong! Still seems sweet though :D

6. carebearsx3 thread starter macrumors regular

But even they might have seen it, I mean it was the freaking news! But no one said anything. Weird, huh?

7. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

The two black bands along the edge isolate the two antennas from eachother.

8. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

Not really.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I was talking about the iPhone 2G, 3G, and 3Gs. I know what the bands do.

10. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

It was a controlled leak to prepare us for the new look:D:eek:

11. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

You guys are giving Apple way too much credit.

12. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Because if you recall the Gizmodo article and images of the breakdown, 90% of the inside was covered by metal housing. They dared not remove in fear of damaging the phone.

Can't see past a metal plate.

13. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

According to Steve, iPhone 4 has two metal bands that serve as antennas: (1) Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS and (2) UMTS, GSM.

My question is: why three seams then? Three seams would divide the band into three parts. Why the extra seam? Please, someone, clarify this for me. Ta.

14. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

Symmetry. It's actually only two parts. One seam is false.

15. supremeMilo macrumors member

I almost failed my antenna design class, but they could be elements that aren't actually attached to the phone electrically like in a Yagi antenna.

16. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Only for the sake of symmetry??? Really???

17. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

Yeah. Look closely in the keynote when El Jobso talks about the antenna system. When it splits to show the two pieces, you can tell the lower-right seam is false.

18. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

I'd side with those that have said Gizmodo didn't know what they were looking for during their teardown. Antennas in mobile phones look pretty similar to the flat cables common in mobile electronics.

Unless you were an engineer, you wouldn't know what you were looking for. And the shots from Gizmodo don't give you enough of an idea that anything is really all that different. They totally ignore any connections to the casing itself. Looks like the connections to the antennas aren't even soldered, perhaps.

19. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Apple has an eye for design up to the smallest detail. For example, on the Macbook models that were plastic before the unibody metal or plastic ones (2006-early 2008 models), they had screws that have no function on the side just for cosmetic purposes to match the other side...

20. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

Hate to point out the obvious, but if it were to be symmetrical, than there would be four. i.e. arm on the right arm on the left...

21. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

Arm? There are two seams on the bottom. One one on each side. Symmetrical.

22. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

Approximate symmetry. The two seams on the bottom mimic the black bottom of the iPhone 2G.

23. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Look at how many people bitched about the seams to begin with. Can you imagine the bitch mongering that would have taken place with only 2 seams?

It's for the better.

I had no issues with the seams. I like the look and still do. Can't wait to have it in my hot little hands! :D

24. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

are you seriously complaining... wow

25. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

what about the top seem? that is not symmetrical, that is asymmetrical. if you're gonna put 1 seem in for symmetry then why not do it all over?