How did you adapt to the weight increase?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ftlum, Sep 27, 2015.

1. ftlum macrumors regular

I want from a 5s to 6s+ (I also recently got a 6 from my workplace), and am finding that the weight of the 6s plus is difficult to get used to. In particular, the size makes it feel like its digging uncomfortably into the distal joints of my fingers and I find I can't hold the device for as long as before. I've had to support it a little with my other hand when using it for long periods. Getting an Apple branded leather case helps a little. Also, carrying this and the work phone in my front pocket is rather heavy.

Does anyone have any tips on how they adjusted to the increased weight? Or is this something you just get used to?

Thanks!

2. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

3. xRYD3Rx macrumors 6502

4. James717 macrumors regular

I always put a protective cover on my phone. A case I mean.

Good case-heavier
    Stylish case-not as heavy, but looks good.
    naked phone- why? I'm a guy, I don't carry a purse. my phone is in my pockets 99% of the time when I walk outside. I also don't carry my phone in my hand texting (look at the pretty people!), play games while I walk (nerd!!), on my hands as if I'm gonna get a phone call any second (gimme a break, mr. hollywood agent), or looking at maps (lol, yeah, tourist), or reading texts from my mistress (I'm such a stud), or playing Pokemon Go (actually, I'm trying to catch the Lucario).

ok, what's the question?
    Yeah, I put a protective case on it so it's safer. And heavier, I guess

5. ftlum thread starter macrumors regular

I want from a 5s to 6s+ (I also recently got a 6 from my workplace), and am finding that the weight of the 6s plus is difficult to get used to. In particular, the size and weight makes it feel like its digging uncomfortably into the distal joints of my fingers and I find I can't hold the device for as long as before. I've had to support it a little with my other hand when using it for long periods. Getting an Apple branded leather case helps a little. Also, carrying this and the work phone in my front pocket is rather heavy.

Does anyone have any tips on how they adjusted to the increased weight? Or is this something you just get used to?

Thanks!

6. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

I started hitting the free weights more at the gym... with a focus on curls. That with some protein bars and I think I am on track to be a successful iPhone user.

7. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

I went from the regular 6 to the 6s+ and although I'm returning back to the regular I don't find weight a massive issue.

8. RossMak macrumors 6502

RossMak

I got myself a personal trainer. I got a 6 plus last year but was to weak to use it.

Been in hard training for a year. Completed 3 rounds of insanity. I think I am almost there.

9. toughnut macrumors member

I add additional 20g plate to my usual barbell routine.

10. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I went from the 6 to the 6 Plus. I'm not sure adding additional weight was a wise move. The people who bent their phones wasn't worth it the weight increase.

The 6 Plus, I agree, it's on the heavy side, not very comfortable to use honestly. When I pick up my regular 6 now, it feels like a feather.

11. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

What weight difference ?... I can't tell ...feels the same to me

12. lugworm macrumors 6502

lugworm

Is this serious ? The difference is a few grams, not a few ounces !

13. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I honestly don't notice it when I use a case, on the 6s anyway. I can see how the Plus would be substantially different as compared to the regular 6 or even 5s.

14. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

I think the 6S Plus is easy and comfortable to use. I honestly don't find the weight an issue and I thought it was a given due to the change in size from the regular to the plus. One of the biggest gripes for me is the sheer size of it in public and not being able to use it one handed. Again, it's comfortable to use if you're using two hands and it's not heavy but trying to one hand the plus is totally not doable (to extent that you're actually using your device and not just tapping one or two things, I mean actually web browsing or looking up for map directions) not because of the weight but the size.

15. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Yeah..
    "How much do you deadlift, bro?"
    "Oh, just 200.02kg"
    "Sweet! You got 0.02kg on me!"

16. hutrebug macrumors regular

My previous phone the Sony Xperia C3 is exactly the same size as the iPhone 6S Plus.

However, the C3 is much lighter around 140g.

You may notice the weight difference more if you:

1) Use the phone one-handed often.
    2) Put it in your pocket.
    3) Twirl the phone with your fingers.

17. vannibombonato macrumors 6502

Sir, you do win the prize for the dumbest question of 2015.

18. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

The 5S is 112g, the 6S+ is 192g.

That's a weight increase of 71% ! Not insignificant...

19. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Humans can adapt and you will get used to it.

20. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Great points. See, I think I do try to at least hold it one handed some, so that may be why I'm complaining of the weight. Not sure. I'm just not sure which size I prefer. Both have their strong points. Overall, you can't really go wrong, if you can learn to compromise either way to some extent.

21. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

And you're comparing a 4" phone to a 5.5"? I don't know what people really expect? I'm sorry we can't build the iPhone with space rocks right now so we're going to have to deal with an increase of weight if you want to buy a big phone.

22. makotoisle macrumors 6502

This.

23. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Gym membership.

24. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Yepp, the core experience is there. You still get an awesome experience and if you can live with the bigger size then you'll get some added incentives (but at a higher price point).

Yeah the sheer size of the device does limit you in some conditions. It's a beast of a device but I'm personally wanting something a little smaller.

I would love to see a 5" device because that is the perfect size for me imo.

25. Lunfai, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai