How did you pay for your Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iTone, Jun 16, 2007.

1. iTone macrumors member

iTone

Did you save up for months (years?) to get your Mac?

Or did you go the American way and put it on a credit card? Are you still paying for it?

Have any of you ever used that Juniper card Apple offers all the time?

I'm curious, since allot of you seem to be buying everything as soon as it's released.

:D

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Been saving for my MBP for about a year...well actually have had the money for a while now, but was waiting for an update. Needless to say my 2.4 SR MBP is on the way (sometime in the next 3-5 weeks...:( )

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I have paid for all of my macs except for my mini. Mac Classic was $35, Apple IIc was $45, iMac G3 was $120. Mini was $799, not paid for by me. iBook was $365. (THAT was complete hell working it off)

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I bought my MBP with cash on impulse :rolleyes:

This is my 5th Mac, none of them have been on credit.

5. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Paid in "cash" with my debit card. Just saved money :D

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I either pay by credit card, or by Purchase Order.

7. ahuman7341 macrumors regular

For my iMac G5, I got a summer job at a camping and scuba store working at $7.15/hr. My Powerbook I won in a fake investing contest at school (put all my money into Apple). All my other stuff has been given to me or taken from the local university's "please take this junk" warehouse I have access to because my father works there. But really the best thing ever gotten from there is my G4.

8. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Cash is how I paid.

I work two jobs and go to University. :p

Admittedly I only bought the base model MacBook. ;)

9. Edandlindz28 macrumors regular

MacBook used the credit card, so I could get the miles, then I pay it off every month. CC balances is a bad bad thing.

My iBook, I opened a Juniper Card just so I wasn't out 1500 bucks right away. Used the 90 day no interest and paid it off.

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

credit card, but most of that will be paid with the funds i got from selling my macbook. the rest i'll pay with whatever i have in my checking account.

11. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Worked over the summer to earn enough money to get the mid-range macbook and to have money to goto university with.

12. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I saved for it.

Paying for something that depreciates like a brick by installment sounds dumb to me.

13. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Saved a bit (€400ish), got a bit of cash as a present (€250), sold my 12"pb (bit over €500), credit carded the rest (about €350) which got cleared in a routine clearout of my card about 2 months later using funds from a short term savings account that's used for annual bills and miscellaneous stuff.

14. showtime macrumors 6502

15. Patch^ macrumors regular

My very first mac I bought the 12" powerbook G4 was about £1100 and I paid for half and my parents paid the other (I was 16-17 I think). For my PowerMac G5 Dual 2.3 I bought entirely myself, which was £1705!! FFS! lol (That was when I was 18 to :O ).

My newest Mac i have is the MBP 2.2 SR and I paid for this by selling my powerbook g4 12" for around £300 and then the rest was paid by me and what was left of my student loan and now i'm 19-20 it cost me £1100 :O lol. Age probably doesn't matter..but now that I think about it I've bought 3 macs in the last 3 years and a couple of iPods.

I bought all my macs with educational discount too, so it helps being a student ^_^ lol. Plus I work very hard and save up!

16. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

mum paid for ibook g3, it was a gift.
    mum paid for powermac g5 up front, I paid half back later, and paid for all upgrades.
    mum paid for macbookpro halfway and Paid for other half.

I will be paying in full cash for the octo with xserve raid, well debit card.

17. Stadsport macrumors regular

My old laptop had a warranty. When it broke, they were going to repair it but Acer no longer sold the motherboard for it (which was what was needed). They told me they were going to replace it with one of the same specs and I said **** no, so I got a refund. The whole ordeal took several months during which I was without a computer, so when the check finally came I cashed it and bought my MacBook at the Apple Store with cash.

18. AppleMan101 macrumors regular

Save, save, save. "Count the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves" Incidentally, £25.57 of my iMac G5 was paid for with pennies, although Admittedly, I did change them for "real money" before going to buy it.

19. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

saved up for them

this is not a question for the mac forums, but an economics one

you do know that you might as well save for *anything*, because you'll pay for it anyway, and when you save for it...your finances free up (that's a good thing, no matter what the credit companies tell you)

lesson #101...if you need to borrow to buy something, you can't afford it

20. Queso macrumors G4

I used the company charge card. My Macs actually belong to the company I work for and are normally used for business stuff.

21. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

1. Performa 630CD - had the money saved up (a fortune, really, for the same price of a 630CD with a printer, not even counting inflation in the 13 years since then, I could have gotten the base configuration dual core 3.0 GHz Mac Pro :eek:)

2. PowerMac 7500 - didn't have the money, so I signed up for one of those "Buy now - Pay later" cards, which when the time is up turns into a frelling expensive credit card, to take advantage of the suckers who don't manage to save up in the mean time. Of course when my six months was up I paid it in full. :cool:

3. PowerBook G3 (Pismo) - got my girlfriend to pay it for me, nothing beats that... ;)

4. iBook G4 - had the money saved up.

5. MacBook - Had my main employer buy it to me, not a bad deal, either... :)

22. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Credit Card clearing the balance so as not to incur interest charges.

23. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I only buy used computers and only pay cash. Best deals in the world.

24. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

25. brgnewman macrumors member

When I bought my black Macbook through my work (Future Shop) there was a few hurdles because of my bank.

My bank (TD) would not let me raise my limit past $1000 on debit because I was on a "Youth Account" but my mom didn't want me walking around with $2000 of cash in my wallet and I couldn't pay for the laptop on my mom's credit card or any gift cards bought by her cause that was a violation at work of staff purchasing (Big issues at work with that).

So what we ended up doing (before the new macbooks launched at our store) was my mom and I picked up the money from my debit account from the bank, went to Future Shop and then I did a full layaway deposit so basically I paid for it before I had it. When I picked it up I just gave them my receipt and it was done lol.

It's an awesome laptop though; a little expensive but amazing!
    - Barret