Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
now how to 'smuggle' it. I did get a personal insurance policy for it just in case too. I decided to wrap the ring in tissue paper and stuff it in the emptied out container of dental floss with the top portion still looking like dental floss.
I too got the insurance and tried a dental floss case, I abandoned the floss case early on as the ring couldn't quite fit. Thinking back on it I'm glad I had something easy to open...I couldn't risk dropping it!

Poseidon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2007
Coralville, IA
I was going to pick her up on a friday, at the airport, from a business trip in Miami. She was coming out of the gate at Tampa, with coworkers, and lots of other random people. I gave her a hug a kiss, and bent down to "tie my shoe." While she was talking to her friends, I took out the ring, and just sat there, on one knee. here friends noticed, and started freaking out. She turned to me, and was like" Shut up...... you are not doing this here!!!!!!" Well, people started staring, and stopped to see what was gonna happen, and I was like, "Well????"

After about a minute, she said yes.

P.S. We're getting married on Friday.

This one cracked me up - I'm just imagining some guy on his face with the "Well, Yes or No?!" look to it.

macmama

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2006
New Jersey
I'll tell my husband's story:

We'd been talking engagement for a while; one lovely June day we decided to head up to Fortunoff to pick out a ring. I picked it out, he bought it, they sized it, and we picked it up a few days later. Then we drove to my folks' house and showed it to them.

Sound kinda lame? It was perfect in my book. Gawd, I hate romantic schmoopy stuff, and my husband –bless him– knows that. 6 years later, we're still happy. :cool:

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
We both had the same day off and it so happened that her dental appointment was near the ward office, so I suggested that we stop by and get married before she had her teeth looked at... this is true ...

:::::::

I asked her parents afterwards (this is Japan, so a must)

I told mine much later.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
We were in bed and I put the ring on her pinky toe and said "wanna get married?" She loved it. Lame I know, but hell I was 18.

150hp

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2004
Door County, WI, USA
Alright, so I had been living with my girlfriend for a few years with marriage talk happening now & again. one day we went antique shopping & she found a ring she said would be exactly what she would want in an engagement ring. I noted that statement & got that ring sometime later & hid it in a '70's McDonalds mini trash can bank until the appropriate time, which was after she graduated from college.

Well, she passed her last exam & now the pressure was on me. She held up her end of the bargain. We went out for a seafood dinner. It didn't take long enough as I wanted to hit the spot @ sunset so luckily for me, a lady in the parking lot needed a jump start as her car wouldn't start so I did that & then we were off to the waterside park. Walked down to a bench & I ended up on one knee & asked her & she did that typical woman response of gasping sharply & covering her mouth with both hands. Sweet. She also said "Yes"! We hugged & cried for a few minutes & then I couldn't help but ask if she recognized the ring. "Its the one you picked out". Then a few more tears of joy. So we got married on our 5th anniversary of dating & have been happily married almost 3 years now.

A story from she told me well after I proposed was one time I drove her to the shore of Lake Michigan which she finds romantic as she did not grow up near it. We stayed in the car & I seemed excited. I reached under her seat & pulled out what she thought was going to be a ring. Instead it turned out to be binoculars I kept there because I wanted a better look at a lake freighter going by. She was so let down then but didn't let me know it then. Atleast I got it right a couple years later.

jenn221

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2007
Louisiana
I wanna tell my hubby's story too! He doesn't do the online forum thing...

We actually got "engaged" when we were in high school. His cousin was in a material science class, and they were making rings. My guess was that he didn't really need/want a ring, so either Mike asked him, or his cousin offered... but either way, we went bowling together, and I hadn't gone since I was very young, so he was trying to teach me. He told me I needed to take off my ring cuz it would mess up my aim, and he pocketed it for me. This was how he got an approximate size. Then his cousin made the ring with J+M on the front in the shape of a heart, and "Mike loves Jenniffer" engraved on the inside.

One night, I think it was in December, we were on our way to dinner with my parents, and he stopped me as I was leaving the bedroom and told me to close my eyes. When he told me to open them, he was on one knee with the ring in front of me. I about died (remember, I was about 15 at the time).

We lived together after high school for several years, and always discussed but never put a date to a wedding. Then in September of 2005 he was getting ready to graduate commercial diving school and move to Louisiana from WA state. I needed to stay in WA, so the marriage talk came back up....

We were walking in the parking lot of QFC (we lived across the street from it) when it just kind of came to an agreement. "So, June sounds like a good month to you?" "Yep. Sounds good." "Cool, now I just need to ask your dad."

We have been married for almost 10 months now. Our dating anniversary is just a few weeks before our wedding anniversary, and that will mark 9 years all together. I'm as happy as a clam.

lanray

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2005
2 stories

The first: my Dad actually had to drag-race my Grandfather for my Mom's hand in marriage. Seriously, my Mom says that her Dad told my pops that all he had to do was win. Well, he won, and here I am.

Mine: my wife is egalitarian, which is one of the things I love about her. She just couldn't think of the whole "boys-asks-girl" bit. So, we designed our rings, and my parents made them. Then, we went to a retreat house in the country. We both put together our proposals before and during the trip. The 2nd night, we ate well, then just sat and asked each other to marry. She went first (and, might I say, her proposal was better than mine - I was so nervous even though I knew the answer). We smooched and said yes, and then had snug-time by the fire. We'll be married 2 years in a month or so.

And, just to say, all you who are planning weddings - elope! Our wedding(s) were fun, but, really, most folks I talk to wish they would've eloped and then had a big party.

This is a great thread, really.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
Well, since I am 19 and single, I will share my parents' story.

My dad asked my mother during a commerical break on TV, with no ring, no knee, just casually "Would you marry me?" My mom said "Sure." Then she goes home to her grandmother "I think I am engaged. I am not sure" because she wasn't sure if he was being hypothetical or not....and had to ask my dad the next day if they were engaged or not! :p But they have been married 30+ years, so I guesss it stuck!

Reactions: bopajuice

TheDance511

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
California soon
Well, since I am 19 and single, I will share my parents' story.

My dad asked my mother during a commerical break on TV, with no ring, no knee, just casually "Would you marry me?" My mom said "Sure." Then she goes home to her grandmother "I think I am engaged. I am not sure" because she wasn't sure if he was being hypothetical or not....and had to ask my dad the next day if they were engaged or not! :p But they have been married 30+ years, so I guesss it stuck!

19 and single you say??????;)

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
O RLY? ;)

ron_wink.gif

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I guess I could add "the rest of the story".

I did ask her parents (though I think they knew it was going to happen). I did get down on one knee (she was sitting down). But the other part of it was I had told her that we couldn't get engaged until I had a job. Well, I had accepted a position earlier that week. (I had a good feeling about this job, but it took forever for them to call me back!) So I not only asked her to marry me, I got to tell her I had a new job!

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
I didn't get to. She beat me to it!!

Closing in on three years in July, and first baby in May!

Sorry to go OT on this for a sec.... Congrats on the baby! I'll refrain from giving unsolicited advice although I have plenty of ideas that come to mind. :) Good luck!

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
We were both adults, and both had been married before, but I still asked her parents and her son for permission.

We were down at the beach. Beautiful afternoon. This was a SoCal beach I spent much of my childhood at surfing. We were sitting on a lifeguard tower watching the sun go down. I had the ring with me and decided it was the perfect moment, but I froze. I could not get the words out. For me to be speechless is almost unimaginable. I started to realize how serious this was, especially since my first marriage did not end so well.

After what seemed like an eternity I proposed to her on the lifeguard tower. After our emotional moment we started to talk to another couple who were sitting about 20 yards away. they had been sipping champagne and were leaving at the same time we were. Come to find out they were celebrating 25 years of marriage. Good omen... 23 years later and after 20 years of marriage, my wife and I are still married and as happy as ever.

After all this time if there is any advise I could give, is be friends first and let the little things go. She's my best friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0002378
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.