How did you save up money for your Mac?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Glick, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Glick macrumors newbie

Christmas is quickly approaching and a big deal this year is money. With this type of economy in the U.S. it’s getting tougher to pull together money. I really want an iMac for Christmas but I only got about 500 saved up. I was wondering how did you save up money for your Mac?

2. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have a job. I can buy a Mac after one or two paychecks. Not much saving to do there ;)

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Selling the old one, and a bit of my tax refund. :D

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Queue bragging

. :rolleyes:

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Heh! Exactly.

I make so much money, I earn enough for a Mac in the time it takes me to click through the Apple Store.

:D

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

9. Glick thread starter macrumors newbie

It's hard since I'm only 15 and I am not eligible to work with a paycheck. How did you save up when you were my age?

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Unless you have a steady income, it can be quite hard to save at that age.

11. Glick thread starter macrumors newbie

I use google adsense but I usually dont get a lot of clicks.

12. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I was able to work at your age, but if you can't hold some sort of real job, I'd imagine it's pretty tough. Before I could legally work, I mowed lawns for $5, but that's obviously not enough to pay for a big ticket item like a Mac. Although I did buy the original Nintendo (Deluxe Edition, including the robot!) with my lawn mowing money. :)

Once I got a work permit at 15, I worked Summers at the Museum of Science and Industry as a teacher's assistant. That's when I was finally able to save up for something big.

13. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

College sucks doesn't it. I'm not even in yet and this is where I am.:( Oh well, the idea is that this will all pay off in the long run.:eek:

14. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Don't have kids before you finish college and don't think about having kids and starting a home with the girl before making your career. I've got no regrets of my kids - I love them in this life and the next. Just wish I had started my career just 1yr before.

Oh yeah Avoid contract work - unless you get paid as much as Zombie Acorn does. ;)

15. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Self control. Before you buy anything, even if it's just $1, ask yourself whether you want it or need it more than you want or need your new computer (or whatever else you're saving for). Most people I know spend at least $5 a day on things they don't really need, even if it's just snacks and sodas. Pack lunch instead of buying across the street from work. Buy your clothes from the thrift shop instead of the high street. It adds up.

If you get an allowance, save it instead of spending it. If you don't (or even if you do), ask everyone you know (and have your parents ask everyone they know) if they could use someone to babysit, mow lawns, clear spyware off their computers, shovel snow, walk dogs, cat sit... whatever's in demand where you live.

16. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Get a high enough paying job. :p

But seriously, it's all about priorities. You have to make a choice about what you want to spend your money on, and save up according to that.

17. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I had a good paying job that week. I earned enough for my mini in a days work.

18. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Says the girl who goes on lavish trips to London all by herself. :p

19. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Way to throw your penis out on the table or lack thereof.

20. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

It took me all summer working about 5-6 hours, 2-3 days a week to buy my mac.

21. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I bought mine primarily for work. It was a low-interest loan.

22. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Get an account on YouTube, be funny, become a partner, get thousands of dollars of ad revenue. :D

Apparently YouTube "celebrities" like Fred and supermac18 are making a killing doing what they do.

As for how I saved up for my Macs, the most recent ones have been from tax refunds and good old fashioned saving. Put away $100 a month into a savings account and force yourself not to touch it. In a year's time, you've got a MacBook or an iMac.

The first one I bought, my PowerBook G4, was an Apple financing deal that I should not have taken given my financial situation at the time. Long story short I ended up oweing a LOT of money on credit at something like 28% interest, and it took years to pay it off. I don't even WANT to know how many hundreds (thousands?!) of dollars in interest I threw away on that PowerBook. Don't make that mistake!

It gets easier after the first one because you can resell the old one to recoup some of the cost of a new one.

23. AngryApple macrumors 6502

I use(d) Treasuretrooper.com. It is legit and totally free to use. I got my check from them yesterday and I am cashing it in today. If you have any questions or want proof of the check, feel free to PM me.

And guys; I'm not trying to advertise. It's how I earn money for my Mac so that's why I'm sharing it with him.

24. chaosbringer macrumors member

chaosbringer

i can buy one with two pay checks along with some upgrades and other items, so yes, i save for about 3-4 months to buy one and still have money for other stuff (Bills, cinema, ...) :)