How did you switch to mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Crash-n-Burn, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Crash-n-Burn macrumors regular

I'm having a dilemma. I would love to switch to mac, but I can't seem to do it. I have a MBP and a custom built Windows machine that I am using. I am a pretty big gamer current job is repairing Windows machines, so I use them all the time.

Would the easiest way be to buy a mac desktop? The only reason that I haven't done that yet is because of the gaming. I feel like if I bought a desktop I would be using windows more then Leopard or Tiger.

How did you guys make the switch?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Custom built PCs are always gonna beat other computers from any manufacturer when it comes to gaming. If you're really that deep into your gaming, just use your PC for gaming and your MBP for everything else. We'll forgive you for that ;)

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

There's really no need to "switch". Life isn't a black and white, either/or affair. If you need to use Windows, use it. If you need to use OS X, use it. Don't let your personal identity become tangled up with which inanimate object you sit down to in the morning. Life's far too short for that kind of stuff. Computers are tools, not signs (or flaws) of character, not fashion accessories, and definitely not things you have to switch "into" or "out of". You are not a PC. I am not a Mac. We're people. Leave that other wankery to the fanboys.

4. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

This is a great post.

In answer to the OP, I "switched" by buying an old iMac on eBay. But I have windows machines too for windows stuff. Just use what you need to do what you want and don't worry about it.

5. Chris88 macrumors member

Like everyone is saying use both. I love my Mac's and I would like to set up my old pc just for gaming. Plus I use pc's at work. I have some games on my 24" iMac I have no problems running them.

6. evilyankeefan macrumors regular

evilyankeefan

Or take the extreme route like I did and see how water resistant your PC is. :eek:

What a crisis at the time, but it opened a whole new world for me.

Life has a funny way of doing things and everyone handles it different. Whatever you do, enjoy it.

7. splashtech macrumors regular

My switching started when a work colleague allowed me to borrow his iBook. I liked it so much that I decided to go and buy myself a brand new MacBook in September. And I like that so much (OSX is a BIG factor in this, not jsut the hardware), that I've decided to buy an iMac after xmas. Then my switching journey will be complete. :D

8. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I've always used Macs up until my Dad decided to purchase a PC.

Boy did things go down hill.

My uncle then gave me his G3 PowerMac and I started to learn everything, and now I have a Mac Pro (after going through 5-6 different Macs).

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

10. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Well, iPod convinced my parents to let me get by iMac, and my moms next computer will likely be a mac- she loves the media features and low startup time of macs.

11. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

Personally, I think the best way to really switch, which means you start to understand the concepts of the Mac interface and why they act the way they do, is to use the Mac by itself for a few weeks.

But you don't really need to switch, like someone above me said. I've used Windows XP and Mac OS X for a long time. First, we had two computers and then when we finally replaced that one PC with a Mac, I had to use XP at work all the time. It just made me appreciate OS X more.

12. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

I was use to switching....

I went from DOS/Windows 3.1 to Linux as my primary OS back in 1994.

Then 1999 I went from Linux to Solaris on a sun box as my primary system (reason being Sun's can have Windows cards which allow to run windows and Solaris at the same time (Virutalization was still slow back then)... Macs had something simular too but I wanted a Unix platform.

Then in 2002 I got myself a powerbook. Because it had a unix core wich allowed me to do what I am use to. A laptop wich was a major reason. and was compatible enough to allow me to work on Windows networks easeier then Linux and Unix and on Unix networks easier then Windows.

So things that allowed to stich were tools like Fink. But for your case if you only want one computer I would sugest that you use bootcamp to play your games and reboot back to OS X for work. Or use Parallels or VMWare for some of your lighter games...

13. soemochris macrumors member

Well when i was 13/14 i went to my aunts, she had a power mac, she was making me a website, and i seemed to be easy, i was using dreamweaver on windows, and i could do nothing, went on the mac, fell in love.

Then went back to canada to see family, went to my aunts house, spent a whole day on the mac, fell in love again

i should be switching to an imac this christmas, well im gunna keep my windows laptop untill i can buy somthing like an ibook for school use, imac for film editing, picture stuff, and just to have a good time on which i havent experienced with a windows machine.

14. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I don't really do much gaming on computers. That's what my 360 is for.

My switch story started with the 20GB 4th generation iPod. Ahh yes. I still remember dropping nearly $500 on that thing, racing home as fast as (legally) possible, and opening it up. The excitement (and smell) was orgasmic.

That was 2004. I never even thought of using a Mac before that, and I was even a person to ask why one would use a Mac, since Windows was the most popular platform. I met my (now ex) girlfriend that year, in my first year of university. She had a G4 iBook. I really liked the look of it, but could never understand why one would use a Mac. But, once I saw it had terminal, and was running Unix, I became pretty inquisitive.

I really liked the look of it, and the OS was beautiful as well. I liked the fact that there are no buttons on the outside of it, and the overall fit and finish was great, despite her abuse.

Fast forward to September 2005. I had a job at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, at their computer store. I was still not really into the idea of a Mac, especially with the price difference. However, after playing around on a G5 PowerMac, I was hooked.

I started looking for a 17" PowerBook, which was what the head of administrative computing was using. He let me play with it, and I loved it. They let me take home a 15" PowerBook to play with over the weekend. Again, I was hooked.

One day, a professor ordered a 17" PowerBook with an upgrade to 120GB hard drive and 1GB of RAM in one chip. He put down a $500 deposit on it. Since it was a custom order, he couldn't cancel it. He canceled it, and lost his deposit. After bargaining with the sales manager at the store, I bought my new PowerBook to the library to open it up for the first time.

I will never forget how beautiful it was. A girl watched the birth of what is now known as Thor, and probably thought I was insane. I remember pressing my nose deep in the rear vents and inhaling deeply. I remember my excitement on its first boot, and my sheer joy when the lights went down in one of my criminal psychology classes, when the screen dimmed and the keyboard lit up.

Now, I have an iMac, as well as a few other older Macs. I will never go back to Windows, except when I eventually get a new MacBook Pro, and the only reason I'll use Windows then is to use Flight Simulator.

I have never looked back, except for Flight Simulator. And I owe it all to the iPod and the cute girl I met in first year university.

15. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It wasn't difficult to me. Tandy discontinued the Color Computer 3, so I had to find something else.

16. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

When I first switched to Macs, this is what I did: I had a Commodore 64 for gaming (which had tons and tons more games available than what you could get for Macs) and my Macintosh IIsi for everything else. However, the Commodore eventually died and I never replaced it. Around 2000, I installed a Commodore 64 emulator on my Pismo that allowed me to play all of my favorite Commodore games, once again (at full speed).

Maybe this is the best option for you. Keep a PC for gaming and a Mac for everything else. When the PC dies, don't replace it and simply play your games on the Mac either in Bootcamp or Parallels.

17. Diejws macrumors member

Diejws

Mine seems rather bland compared to all of these stories, but basically, the power supply in my Dell died for the !@#$%th time, and this time it was out of warranty. I figured it was a time for a new computer, and the Macbooks had C2Ds in them at the time, which led me to purchase one. I would've went for the MPB, and wanted to, except for the price difference. My Mac experience beforehand had simply been limited to use at school and lots of research online, but I was sure I'd be happy with my choice. And, of course, I am. :cool:

18. atthecross macrumors 6502

I just straight out sold ALL my windows devices (handheld included) and took the plunge.

I have found that there is nothing that can not be done with a Mac that I did with my windows machines.

I must say however, that I am not a gamer.

19. Rollershapple macrumors regular

I found this website a year ago. And here we are :)

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I much agree with this post. I was reading MR for 2 years before I bought my first Mac, and it certainly taught me a lot.

However, OP, I feel for your situation. I don't game, so for me it was a non-issue. I can do anything/everything I want on my mbp. In your case, I think the iMac would simply be a waste of money. :eek:

Honestly, if you're looking to game, OS X is not for you. Not to mention the fact that the iMac has very restrictive hardware. With the money you can sink into a new iMac, you can go pretty far with your own gaming tower.

You mentioned you have a mbp, how do you like Tiger/Leopard on that? If you still feel that OS X is more efficient for your work, you could keep the tower for gaming and the mbp for work.

21. GoodWatch macrumors 6502a

GoodWatch

Well.... One of my first computers was an Apple ][+ but I know that doesn't count. ;) The main reasons were the overall design and package Apple presents and the fact that for home use I don't need a PC. And now I have all I need in one, neat package. I already had several Nano's and my next purchase will be an iPhone.

22. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

I wanted to start video editing and was planning on buying a new computer (I was using a very old PC). Almost everyone (friends/family/coworkers) recommended a Mac so I bought a Dual 867mhz G4, this was in 2002 I belive.

At first it was slightly confusing getting used to the non Windows interface but that quickly faded. I really like the stability of the system. Im on my second Mac now and in the last ~ 6 years being on a Mac...Ive only been down a total of 4 days or so (due to HD issues)

Im glad "I switched". I dont see myself purchasing another PC in the future. Im not a gamer and I have a PC at work (Its also great to get home and use OSX after being stuck on windows all day ;) )

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I never really switched, to tell you the truth. The first computer I ever experienced was my brother's Apple //e back in 1983 - it's the computer I grew up on. Then he bought a Mac SE/30 in 1989-ish and I continued using it. In the meantime I was exposed to PCs at school, and we did ultimately get a PC when my brother left, but I've always been a Mac guy. ;) Back in the day I was big inot gaming though, so I built my own PC in '94 and '98, but always still liked Macs.

Then I bought my own 17" 1.25 GHz G4 iMac in 2003 and my new 24" iMac just arrived last Friday. :)

24. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

i've been mac pretty much from the beginning, so can't really answer your question there. Use the microtard computer for what it does well, and use the mactard computer for what it does well. Or invest in the one system that actually runs both incredibly. Does anyone have any suggestions here???:rolleyes:

25. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

my swap,work teaching windows basics at college thought there has gotta be
    more to life than this, went to the apple store in london aint looked back since
    only wish i did'nt need bootcamp but gotta mark stuff