How disappointed I am right now

Discussion in 'iPad' started by azure247, Mar 27, 2012.

1. azure247, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

azure247 macrumors 6502

Opened up my new ipad 64 GB with giddiness only to find a silver nick on the top left side of my ipad! A clean 1 mm nick going horizontally from the edge of the silver case. Unbelievable... also not sure if I have a yellow tint or not since I dont have an ipad 2 to compare it with.

I ordered it from bhphotovideo.com, do they accept returns without charging us shipping?

Update:
    My screen (is it yellow tinged?)
    http://imageshack.us/f/12/photo1wh.jpg/

My nick!
    http://imageshack.us/f/88/photohcj.jpg/

2. brentsg macrumors 68040

If you don't see any yellow then it's not there. If you need a direct comparison to detect it then it's fine.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Pic? Those are one of the cons about not buying at the apple store or local retailer.

4. azure247 thread starter macrumors 6502

If I showed a picture, would you be able to tell? I should show you guys the nick too, its unbelievable what passes through QC.

The plastic that wraps around the ipad actually does not fully cover the whole device. Funny is how the nick is on region with no plastic coverage. Somehow, it was nicked during manufacturing.

5. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I have a tiny nick on mine in the top left too but it's number 4 I've had and this one has a perfect screen so it's staying. If your screen looks fine to you, stick it in a case and enjoy it. Much better to have a good screen and a slightly marked case than a duff screen.

I think the damage to mine looks like something hot like a soldering iron has touched it.

6. azure247 thread starter macrumors 6502

I like your analogy. It looks like a very clean deep nick into the case, leaving a shiny silver reflection when you put it in sunlight.

7. gigaguy macrumors 65816

B&H has a 30 day return policy. Oh, yea, you pay shipping, better insure it.

8. azure247 thread starter macrumors 6502

That brings me down. :( If I have more bad luck it could cost me heavily.. I guess I dont have a choice but to keep it. Aside from the nick, I think I am good but I am not sure.

9. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Yeah - precisely. The one one mine is doing no harm. If something happens to it during the warranty period Apple will replace it.

Been through the screen lottery. Not going there again!

10. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

11. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Why would they do that if it was purchased from B&H?

12. pat park macrumors 6502a

They will not swap it at the Apple store. If the iPad was purchased outside of the Apple Store Apple Store's cannot take it back. They can only exchange product that was purchased originally at the Apple Store.

The op will have to deal with B&H. They are a great seller and I have purchased a from them over the years. Great company.

13. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

14. azure247 thread starter macrumors 6502

15. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

If it's covered under warranty they'll take it.

16. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Seriously? You have to ask if your screen is yellow? That's like asking us if you like ice cream.

17. dstar macrumors regular

+1

my first gen ipad that i bought at a Best Buy was exchanged at an Apple store.
    a second gen ipad that i bought at Tekserve was exchanged at an Apple store.

just schedule a genius appointment. they exchanged without issue and even knew where they were purchased when scanned.

18. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

Mine had a small nick at the bottom, a little dent at the top right hand corner, and a nick in the rubber seal around the screen on the right. I took it back and exchanged it for a perfect one. I see no reason why you wouldn't. If you're unhappy with it then exchange it!

19. Eric052492 macrumors member

I've been through four already, all of which had damaged cases. I can't see accepting a $500+ device with damage to the case, but maybe that's just me.

20. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

+1

Basically, you can't return a product to the Apple Store for a REFUND unless you purchased it from there. However, for warranty service/exchanges, they will accept them. I bought an iPod Touch for someone who lives in Tennessee at a Best Buy here in Anchorage, and when it stopped working, she was able to take it into the Apple Store in Knoxville with no issues at all.

21. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

i find it interesting how you worry about such a miniscule nick on your iPad while still sporting all the 'ugly as hell' stickers on your laptop :/

22. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

lol +1

23. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

It seems to me that production was rushed in order to satisfy demand. These imperfectins are the cost. One of my new ipads had a black scratch on the back straight out the box. Really dissapointed. Its not the Apple I know.

24. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

25. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Apple won't obviously return a product for money if it was not bought through apple but after the 30 days you have to bring it to apple for any issues or exchanges for a referbished no matter where it's bought ( apple authorized dealer of course)