Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RareEarthMetal

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
I've been waiting for 6 months for this refresh. I have wanted one since i heard of its rumors, so i'd still buy one whether or not it had a camera but I have to admit it makes me excited to think that it might be a good camera, capable of recording and taking pictures to the capacity of the ipod.

plus new app compatibility.They'd probably be wack but its the novelty of the idea.

I cant wait much longer.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Another vote for "could care less about a camera". But I hope it's there for the folks that want it. Choice is good.

iphonefreakz

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
I would be disappointed, i am not sure if i buy the new touch anyway, but if it has a camera the chance i will buy it would be a lot higher :rolleyes:

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I think it'd be pretty cool to have a camera, but it's certainly not a dealbreaker for me. The only thing I'll be really disappointed with is if they don't bump up capacity to at least 64GB. As long as they do that, count me in!

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
I kinda hope it has a magnetometer. Then I could play all those cool games that use it to look around (Aircoaster :p).

Oman

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008

I am more interested in having a 64GB iPod touch. I am ready to move on from my 5G iPod. So it does not matter to me if it has a camera or not, the only reason I do not have a touch now is the space limitation. 64GB should be able to to hold all my music and videos just fine. can't wait!!

buxtone17

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2009
Actually, videos lie all the time, and they can be Photoshop'd. Then moving all of the edited frames to After Effects and putting it together into a smooth video.

Or they could have drilled a hole in the back of a 2nd Gen touch and dropped a convincing camera in the hole.

The photos and video are insanely blurry. And in one of the photos you can see in the reflection on the touch that whoever is shooting is using a digital Leica (which is an insanely awesome brand). Digital Leicas are anywhere from $400 to $7000. Anyone who's spending that much money on a digital camera is going to know how to shoot a sharp image.

You think maybe they "manufactured" a "3rd Gen" touch and then made blurry images and video so no one would notice?

buxtone17

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2009
As far as the camera goes, it's not a make or break for me.

I've been wanting a touch for several months now, so I'll probably get one regardless of the upgrades.

But for Apple, it would be stupid to not add a camera. Apple is the unchallenged leader of the MP3 player industry. They've always been one step ahead of the competition. And now that the competition is adding cameras, HD output and OLED displays, Apple needs to at least stay on par or consumers are going to look elsewhere.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
With 3rd party software my 3G takes far better pcitures than my 3Gs.
If its the same camera and software as the 3Gs and there isn't a decent third camera app it won't be a show stoppr for me.

If Snapature supported the newer cameras I would be delighted.

txhockey9404

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
Well, honestly, a camera doesn't matter to me. Unless it is 5MP+, I probably wouldn't use it anyway. 99.9% of the time I have my iPod touch, I have my Blackberry Storm, so I don't need another camera for those quickie snapshots. I am fine with 32gb, so I don't need a bigger iPod yet, and I've used the microphone in my headphones with my iPod maybe twice, possibly three times. Honestly, I just want a worthy upgrade to the nano line. 32gb, a bit larger screen while retaining its size, more durable, faster processor for cover flow. I need an iPod for school that has no wifi, so I can't really use my touch anyway. I don't play games on it, and my Blackberry has taken over calendar, email, and contacts duty, so all I really use it for is music and videos. I would use my old iPod 5gs, but 2/3 have no battery life, and one's hard drive is so corrupt it requires a reformat every two weeks, and can't handle more than one pass of zeroing.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
Well Appleinsider just confirmed that September 9th with bring new ipods with cameras and other new features. Along with itunes 9.

dynamo22

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
Coming from a 1st gen ipod touch and I held off from the 2nd gen.. I'm 110% confident that I will get the 3rd gen the moment it is available.. yes I will be buying it at the apple retail store and not online. I seriously can not wait, and I hope I waited long enough for a good reason.

-M

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
Coming from a 1st gen ipod touch and I held off from the 2nd gen.. I'm 110% confident that I will get the 3rd gen the moment it is available.. yes I will be buying it at the apple retail store and not online. I seriously can not wait, and I hope I waited long enough for a good reason.

-M

You took the words literally right out of my mouth. I also have a 1st gen and skipped the 2nd and will buy the 3rd gen from the Apple Store the day it comes out.

tabasco70

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Japan
Not including a $10 vid/still camera module . . . that would be disappointing to the extent that it would be unlikely that owners of older models would upgrade and new customers will examine what other platforms are available for less. In short, it would likely mean stagnant sales of the Touch for at least a year . . . and not give them much to pitch for the holidays.

Yep, because even if it does have a camera, I would still consider the Zii Egg Plaszma.

ElijahPost

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I'd like a camera, and higher storage capacities. That is all. We should not expect a change in design.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
IMHO a camera is a stupid thing to put on an iPod. I must be in a minority, but I buy my iPod to listen to music. Not to take pictures of myself making peace signs to put on myspace.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i don't need a camera as i always have my phone. I just want the price to go down. Maybe up the HDD size would be nice too but i can live with 32. I would like a mic for shazam and other apps.

Silencer

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
London
I myself would want just the speed boost, increased battery life and 16gb entry model alone.

Very likely to have a camera.

Alasta

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
Wellington, New Zealand
I was planning on buying a Touch anyway so I will probably buy the new one even though the camera isn't particularly important to me. To be honest I would be pretty happy with the current model, but I figure I might as well wait for the new one or perhaps some cheap run out deals on the old one.

For me there would be much more value in a GPS than a camera, but people seem to be divided as to whether that's going to happen. My gut feeling is that it won't.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
IMHO a camera is a stupid thing to put on an iPod. I must be in a minority, but I buy my iPod to listen to music. Not to take pictures of myself making peace signs to put on myspace.

There's more to the camera than just that for the iPod Touch. iPod Touch is a media device and music is not the sole function. I want the camera not necessarily for "peace signs of myself on myspace," though I admit I'll take a few snapshots here and there because I can, but I'm more interested in the expandability of different Apps, more specifically augmented reality just to name one.

I am actually surprised that more people haven't talked more about the magnetometer. I think it would be fairly simple to integrate into the 3G and again expand app usability. From Apple's standpoint, they want to be able to sell as many apps as possible and bringing the 3G up to speed as much as possible with app compatibility is in their best interest. The only one that I see them most likely not going (though I would LOVE if it were included) would be GPS. Though it would make sense for navigational apps to combine both magnetometer and GPS so I almost think that they may come in a pair.

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
If the iPod 3rd gen does have a camera, that will in itself be a reason for me to not buy it. It's a waste of space in a good music player - space which could have been spent on higher storage or battery capacity. I have a digital camera already. Oh - and I also have a camera in my mobile telephone (never use it).

Rob Philips

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
The fact that about half of the people including myself cannot care less about a camera is probably something Apple is aware of.

SO.... There must be something else on the new 3G that will appeal to us lot:p

itouch22

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2009
The camera will not be the main selling point for me. The rumors also mention the poss. of it having a microphone which would essentially remove the need for a house phone if you have wireless. Skype would love that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.