Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
I have a ring tone I downloaded and put in itunes (using my mac)...I want it to be my ring tone on Apple iPhone C
Went to Verizon store and AT&T....was told they had no clue how to do and there is NO apple store anywhere near me.

Can any tell me a simple way to accomplish this...please dont leave out any steps.
Thanks

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Make sure it is saved as a .m4r file, add it to library in iTunes. Sync your iPhone to iTunes and then go to Settings, Sounds, Ringtone on your iPhone and select the new file.

Reactions: timeconsumer

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I have a ring tone I downloaded and put in itunes (using my mac)...I want it to be my ring tone on Apple iPhone C
Went to Verizon store and AT&T....was told they had no clue how to do and there is NO apple store anywhere near me.

Can any tell me a simple way to accomplish this...please dont leave out any steps.
Thanks

A number of tutorials how...Google it.
The 3gp file will need to be converted...again google it.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
When I post on mac rumors I am looking for answers....everyone who posts on this site could just say: "hey go google an answer" Perhaps someone can actually answer my questions.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
When I post on mac rumors I am looking for answers....everyone who posts on this site could just say: "hey go google an answer" Perhaps someone can actually answer my questions.

If you want that custom ringtone, you gotta do the work.

I have one (custom ringtone)...you can too. If you're not willing to learn...then it wasn't that important.

PS. I never heard of a .m4r file either until I read how to do the custom ringtone. See the pattern?

Someone posted a tutorial link...you know what to do next.

Last edited:

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
In this scenario using Google to obtain your answer is a reasonable suggestion. You have a file in .3gp format and you need to convert it to a .m4r. I would recommend a Google search along the lines of "convert 3gp to m4r" or "3gp converter".

Alternatively, you can search for the ringtone you currently have in the correct m4r format as there are a lot of ringtone websites.

Once that is completed, @EDH667 provided instructions on how to get it onto your iPhone using iTunes.

Nobody is trying to be rude or unhelpful but without converting the file we can't really assist you. Unfortunately iOS does not make it easy to add ringtones unless in the correct format.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
There is also an app Tone Creator that lets you create your own ring tones for emails, messaging, etc. For my messaging ring tone from my daughter I have her voice saying, "Hey mom it's me". I also have my husbands voice for him with a different ring tone for messaging. You can also use a song or part of a song with this app. It's extremely easy to use.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
There is also an app Tone Creator that lets you create your own ring tones for emails, messaging, etc. For my messaging ring tone from my daughter I have her voice saying, "Hey mom it's me". I also have my husbands voice for him with a different ring tone for messaging. You can also use a song or part of a song with this app. It's extremely easy to use.

Never heard of this app, but to do custom ringtones even w/this means spending a few dollars.

When the OP reads the tutorial and rolls his own, it's a snap to do other ones. And following the tutorial is really no different than someone posting the steps here...it's the same steps.

Hence why I said, get to it.

Otherwise, settle for whatever.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
It is so ridiculous that a tutorial is needed for something that should be so easy to do. This is precisely why I left iPhones years ago.
I used to make ringtones but due to having to mess with file conversions and iTunes syncing I no longer bother. It would be far simpler to just drag & drop the file to the device then set it as my ringtone and be done with it.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
It is so ridiculous that a tutorial is needed for something that should be so easy to do. This is precisely why I left iPhones years ago.

The tutorial isn't too hard really, but some could find it daunting, I suppose.

Is Android that much easier? It would be a nice plus if it is.

fsfty

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2014
The tutorial isn't too hard really, but some could find it daunting, I suppose.

Is Android that much easier? It would be a nice plus if it is.
On Android there are multiple free apps dedicated to ring tones. Find the ring tone you want and click download. It goes right to your ring tones library. It couldn't be any easier. Not dealing with ITunes for anything is great.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
On Android there are multiple free apps dedicated to ring tones. Find the ring tone you want and click download. It goes right to your ring tones library. It couldn't be any easier. Not dealing with ITunes for anything is great.

We have a winner!

Apple could learn a few things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.