How do I anonymously publish something to the internet?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by StephenCampbell, Dec 7, 2009.

1. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

I have a document that i'd like to put on a blog page or something, but I want to have a false name/email address attached to it. I want to be able to claim copyright and profit if it makes it big, but I don't want anyone to know that it's me who wrote it. I know there's a way to do this. Any tips?

Thanks.

2. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

uh, use a fake email/name? then keep records that the email you set up is yours.
    Really though, you should either take credit from the beginning or just stay anonymous; trying to claim something later gets messy, since no one will believe you.

3. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

It doesn't matter, as long as I have a bank account/paypal account linked to that name and email address so that I can collect the money if it sells, right? Or is it illegal to claim money under a false name?

4. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

I guess. What are you posting that means you can't use your real identity?

5. StephenCampbell thread starter macrumors 65816

It's just a story. Do you know if it's illegal to publish and claim money under a different name/email address?

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

No, it's not. You might want to take a look at this.

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I'm not particularly interested in publishing under a pen name at the moment, but that's an interesting link---thanks for sharing.

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Tor is your friend.

-or-

Shave your head, grow a seedy mustache, get goggly glasses, create a fake Gmail account, buy a Greyhound ticket (no ID required) into a neighbouring city, and use the library's free internet.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You can do that. Plenty of writers do. They use a false name to publish. Just be sure to have everything in order when you want to claim something.

No, it's not illegal because you are not using someone else's ID, you are creating a new one. Also, best way for online is to use Gmail account with fake name. Want to be truly anonymous? Use a proxy or two to do anything on the Internet. Again, everything I've said is legal.

10. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

An interesting way to hide paper trails as far as money goes when working under a pen name would be to set up a paypal account with a prepaid credit card, and set up another paypal under your name and your normal bank account to do transfers. There will be a few small fees for transfers and maintainance of course but if you're expecting a fairly decent income the fees are easy to deal with, and it leaves a confounding paper trail for anyone beyond sanctioned agencies who bothers to pry into your business. Here in the U.S. other than the IRS, government officials, or credit bureaus, anybody who digs that deeply into a private citizens banking records is likely to get thrown in jail for looking into bank records that have nothing to do with them (the data is relatively private from citizen to citizen) so it's not a common investigation tactic used by those not affiliated with such an agency (likely an obsessed fan would not even go as far as hacking bank records unless they are stupid) government agencies would probably care less about you using a pen name as long as you filed the proper paperwork and kept up on the income taxes for anything earned.