How do I decide between 16 and 32 gig?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dfcas, Jun 1, 2009.

1. dfcas macrumors newbie

I have no iPhone now, but plan to move my business phone in my residence to an iPhone when the new versions come out. I'll keep a small Bento database (142k backups) on it and probably some music, probably less than 1000 songs. I'll also web browse and save some of that stuff.

I've never had an iPod or iPhone, so I have no idea of what kind of storage needs I'll have. I tend to think I should buy the 32gig, but I have nothing to base that on.

Thanks, dan

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Simple, if you think 16 GB won't be enough, then if there is a 32 GB version get it. More room means more stuff you could potentially cram in the phone.

3. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

you wont even come close to the 32 gigs. but also think beyond right now... do you see your self expanding your music collection? or putting pictures on it? or movies? i would go with the 32 if you can afford it because it gives you room to grow and will be much easier to sell next year when you want a new iphone again hahaha. ive always bought the biggest size i could ( no, im not compensating for anything ) and im glad to spend the extra 100$

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

It really all depends on how much music you put on it. If you are only going to put 1000 songs on it depending on how big the files are which depends on how it was ripped so on average figure 4-8 mb per song so for 1000 songs that would be like 4-8 gb which would easily fit in the 16gb model.

Now if you start to put movies on their they are 2+gb each so that adds up fast.

As for apps and web browsing that stuff does not take up considerable room. It all comes down to how much music and movies you want on your phone.

5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

No they're not. I'f you're ripping them at that large of a file, you're wasting space. Using Handbrake I can create a 800MB-1.2GB file that looks perfect. If I load up the SD versions of the HD movies I've bought trough Itunes they are usually just over 1GB in size.

6. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Yes you are right. I was thinking of the movies I was ripping for my AppleTV.

7. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

The only reason NOT to get the highest capacity is money. If the $100 is more important to you, then don't get the 32. If you can easily live without $100 then get the 32. It is always better to have extra space then not enough.

Besides, we arn't even sure there will be a 32GB option yet.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No one is.

9. sd2009 macrumors 6502

16GB will be fine.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Considering that apple doesn't even have a 32gig version, the topic is a bit premature.

I own a 16gig and found it to be more then enough for my music, videos and apps. While the typical advice of waiting till WWDC is required, waiting till then to ask this question would also be better since apple may not even release a 32gig version.

11. williamgallas10 macrumors regular

+1 That is the only true answer.

12. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Here's how I decide. Do I want the entire 9 past seasons of American Idol on there or just 5 seasons. :D Ooooh and I need to save room for the "Hogan knows best" AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA AHHAH AHA - sorry iphone lags due to jailbrake

13. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I have an 8GB 3G phone. It has about 700 songs, two movies and a ton of applications installed. It has about one gigabyte of storage remaining. I would estimate from the graphical display of memory allocation in iTunes that I could add about four or five more movies if I removed the music. I say this only to give a sense of scale, not to advocate for buying a particular model. It really will depend on how much you need (or want :) ) to have stored on it.

14. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

It has been said before, but no one knows if there will be 16GB and 32GB options.

Money is always a factor though. Get what you can afford, or save some money. When getting the 3G, I opted to save money. I have 36GB of music, so I figured I would need to update the playlist for the phone regularly, whether it was 8GB or 16GB. And getting the 8GB meant I got it for free.

So I guess i'd say if you have more that about 30GB of music (presuming 32GB is the top) there is no point paying the extra as you will want to change and keep it updated anyway.

That is my thinking anyway. Feel free to disagree.

15. nfl46 macrumors 603

Well I'm on a family plan and one of the lines is eligible for an upgrade in September, so I'll be waiting then to get the hopefully 199/299, instead of paying full price (400) for an 8GB like I did last year b/c i wasn't eligible for an upgrade.

16. bjquach macrumors 6502

A 32GB iPhone is a safe bet for those that do not know how much space they will use on their device and for those that have the money to do it. It'll be only $100 more for double the room.