How do I disable administrator password?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by applefan289, Nov 30, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Multiple people use the iMac, and I would like to take away the "admin" aspect under users and accounts. By that, I mean that I don't want to require someone to enter an admin password every time they want to delete or install a program. Is there any way to disable the password?

2. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Make them an admin. That is the entire purpose of the limitation is to prevent them from performing Admin Functions.

3. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, all the people that use the iMac are under the same user account (admin). So, as an admin, is the any way to disable the a password requirement?

The Windows computer I had long ago did not require me to enter a password to install programs and stuff.

4. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

It is not possible to disable the need for a password on install. It is a fundamental of the OS Security. So you either need to give them the Admin password, or make them their own Admin account so they know their own password.

5. Oweng4000 macrumors newbie

Or you could modify permissions on the applications folder, but that would create a huge security problem.

6. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

If you can't remove the security function that's asking for a password then I suppose your best option is to set a very easy to type password.

7. Darby67 macrumors 6502

Or make the password blank as in "" where nothing is between the quotes.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

Monkeying around with permissions when you don't understand what they are for is an easy way to create an unbootable system.

9. Oweng4000 macrumors newbie

That's why I said that it would be a bad idea.