How do I disable Data on my 3G Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by champloo11, Jul 3, 2011.

1. champloo11 macrumors newbie

Here is my current issue. I'm living at home with my parents, and the pay the cellular bill. For the last say 8 months I've had an iPhone 3G that uses a SIM card from an older phone. I disabled 3G and Edge on my iPhone in the settings, and I haven't re-enabled them. Well, in this last billing cycle AT&T charged by parents an extra $25.00 on top of what they normally pay for my service. They do not wish to continue paying this amount for my phone. Which is perfectly acceptable, however, I wish to use my iPhone for texting, games, calls, ecettera. However, a part of AT&T's new plan retrieves the phones information and charges extra for any smart phone. Is there any way that I can avoid this? I understand that process of jailbreaking, and would be willing to hack my phone to any extent in order to get my phone to not be picked up as an iPhone.

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Your only other choice is to stick your SIM card in an old phone, call AT&T, get them to put a data block on your account, and then put the SIM back into the iPhone. You will probably get away with it for a while doing this.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

AT&T and Verizon both mandate a data plan for all iPhones. Unfortunately not a lot you can do about it.

4. champloo11 thread starter macrumors newbie

So there is no possible way to modify the phone so it displays as a different brand/model via a jailbreak or file edit?

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It sounds like you were getting away without a data plan but AT&T figured it out and added the 2GB plan for you.

You can do what awadeee said, but likely, the same thing is going to happen.

The only way to make your iPhone appear as some other dumb phone is to change the IEMI, but that's not really possible and it's "highly" illegal (if I remember reading correctly).

My suggestion is to try to opt for the $15 data plan or buy an original iPhone since AT&T does not impose a data plan requirement.

6. champloo11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I looked a little further into editing the IMEI of the phone, and apparently it is a federal offense under "phone phreaking". Thank you for the suggestions everyone, I'll see if I can't find a way to add some extra money to my pocket so I can pay for it.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That won't work.
    Data on the iPhone 3G is mandatory on post paid plans.
    Only way to avoid it is to use a prepaid AT&T sim or unlock it and use it on Tmobile.

No.

8. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Meanwhile, have them switch it to the $15 250mb plan.

It stinks that you can't do this.... I just replaced my phone on Verizon and my contract was old enough to NOT require data. Apparently I could have bought the iPhone outright and kept it that way....

Maybe you can offer to do some extras around the house for the $15?