how do I disable the lockscreen completely?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SarahKirschbaum, Feb 14, 2017.

1. SarahKirschbaum macrumors regular

how do I disable the lockscreen completely?

I do not use passcode or touch ID. (in fact,
    I have never locked any of my Macbooks or
    phones, Android, iPhone, or otherwise)

Thanks!

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Settings, General, Passcode Lock will turn it off so that you don't have to enter passcode.

You would do well to reconsider your current practice. If your device gets lost or stolen, that would be bad for you.

3. SarahKirschbaum thread starter macrumors regular

already tried that... it still makes me slide to unlock... :(

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Correct. Like I said, it prevents you from having to unlock with your passcode. What you want is not possible.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's there to prevent accidental unintended interactions with the phone and can't be disabled. Perhaps there's some jailbreak tweak that might allow for that if your phone is jailbroken, but otherwise there isn't anymore more that can be done.

6. SarahKirschbaum thread starter macrumors regular

I came from the Android side, where it's possible to leave the swipe to unlock screen off. (at least on my previous phone such as the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, 5, 7 and S5, S6, S7) I pick up the phone and press the home button and I immediately see the homescreen.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, what iPhone are we talking about specifically here (and what specific iOS version)?

That aside, there are things that are doable with Android (in some cases rooted and in other cases even without rooted devices), just as there are things that are doable with jailbroken iOS, which are different than stock iOS.

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You can pick up the iPhone, press the home button, and be at the home screen using Touch ID.

9. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

Use TouchID and you won't have to swipe. Just put your finger on the home button and press; the phone will wake and unlock.

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

With TouchID you can set it so that you don't even have to press the home button to bypass the lock screen. Simply press the home button to wake your phone (or use raise to wake if it's a 6s or newer) and unlock your phone simply by letting your finger linger on the button for a moment.

Not to preach, but in this day and age it's not smart to leave your phone with no security. Anyone's phone can be lost or stolen, and I'd be surprised if there's no information on it that you wouldn't want a thief to have.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cannot bypass that with an iPhone.
    Unlike android with stock iOS you are stuck following the way Apple wants you to do things.
    Welcome to iOS:)

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

So you say. Yet…

Your first statement is at odds with the part of your second statement which I have highlited in red.

You do lock your screen. Even if you don't recognize that this is what you are doing, it is in fact what is happening.

If your screen was not locked you would not have to press the home button. The action of pressing the home button unlocks the phone.

There is a indeed a difference between pressing the home button and sliding to unlock. It's this difference that makes assigning the home button in Activator to lock/unlock one of the first actions I do when I jailbreak. I came to iPhone from Windows Mobile where pressing the home button locks and unlocks. So I feel your agitation.

But other than the physical difference between the two there is no logical difference.

As has already been said your option is either TouchID or jailbreaking. However, to my knowledge no tweak has ever been created that would disable the lockscreen.

It's possible to set your device to never lock and use either 20 Second Lockscreen or Dim Me to dim your screen while unlocked but that doesn't disable the lock screen.

PS. Anyone…doesn't iOS 10 already have the "Press to unlock" thing to replace slide to unlock? Perhaps OP's answer is to update?

13. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

As to your PS., yes, it does.

14. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I see what you're saying. The slide to unlock is restricted from being disabled. I would prefer to have it disabled as well, but It's the same way for answering calls, unless your using the iPhone at the time of the call, which you can just tap to answer.

15. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

Touch ID is so quick, easy and secure. It amazes me when people refuse to use it.

16. bufffilm, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

If putting your finger to the button to unlock your screen is too onerous, you have a real problem.

I really don't know why people are continually suggesting anything at this point.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well…there's one reason. The courts have ruled that law enforcement can force you to unlock your phone using TouchID without a warrant.

The same does not apply using a passcode.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I refused for years to use a code or finger print to open my device as it was too much trouble.

BUT, it works so well and is so fast I now keep it protected. You hardly even know it is working it is so fast.

No doubt my phone and it's data is safer for sure.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.
    But if you are afraid of LE getting into your phone and forcing you to unlock it with touch ID after they arrest you then you probably have bigger problems to worry about :D

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

They don't have to arrest you. Maybe probable cause, but essentially they can walk up and demand it.

The ruling was based on one guy who happened to be at a party. Completely innocent and uninvolved with whatever was happening but the cops wanted to see what was on everyone's phone.

21. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Settings --> General --> Accessibility --> Home Button ---- Turn on Rest Finger to Open.

Now I never hit any buttons. Rise to wake, rest finger on home button, BAM I'm into my phone. It cannot get easier or faster than this. The only problem is if your fingers are a little wet or sweaty.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting, sounds like a crappy situation and some abuse of power.

--- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2017 ---
    Nice, I didn't know about that one.
    I just turned it on my i7 Plus.
    Thank you.

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah. The argument is along the lines of how government can compel you to provide a fingerprint for a license (driver's or otherwise).

Past rulings have decreed that a code, in this case, your lockscreen code, is personal and cannot be compelled because of your right not to incriminate yourself.

All of this said, I do not have TouchID active on my iPhone (I use a passcode/tweak that uses a password) but I do have it active on my iPad. Law enforcement would find an unhealthy addiction to tech and computers but nothing else either way. :)

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    I hear you.
    They might have been looking for videos that people might have taken from the incident that incriminate the LE agents and wanted to delete them so they dont get in trouble.
    Many years ago a friend of mine recorded a cop arresting someone while the person was resisting.
    Once the cop noticed there was video of the incident also arrested my friend and took his phone and deleted the footage.
    He had to spend the night in jail. I'm not sure if they charged him with anything.
    Messed up situation for sure ;)

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's not possible within the confines of iOS.

As for fingerprint compelling, it's very easy to use the wrong finger five times very quickly.