How do I FULL restore LION from time machine?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by imahawki, Aug 8, 2011.

1. imahawki macrumors 6502a

OK, so I had to exchange my iMac that already had Lion on it so the backup I made RIGHT before I took it in needs to be loaded. However, the replacement I got has SL on it. When I did my initial boot, it asks if I want to restore from a backup. I've done this before. But it won't let me do it since the OS version is newer.

SO, I went ahead and went through setup and now am installing Lion. Once its done, how do I load my backup?!

2. gr8tfly, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

At the end of the install, you'll be given the option to migrate from Time Machine. Select your TM drive, and you should be good.

Edit: I think I misunderstood. You are installing Lion as an update to the SL you received and had to do a new setup in SL first? When you're done, you'll be left in Lion with the user you setup for SL. After all that, you should have the Recovery HD. You can startup on that (cmd-R), and choose restore from Time Machine - this will, of course, replace your new Lion setup, but I think that's what you want. The alternative is to run the Migration Assistant manually from your fresh Lion install. Hope this isn't too confusing... :)

3. imahawki thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly