How do I get a SIM to use in London and Paris?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macswitcha2, Jun 1, 2013.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I will be with wife on a vacation. We have two unlocked iPhone 5's. Her is sued with Verizon while I'm on At&T.

Or vacation is two weeks long. What data plan I get and where do I get a SIM to use?

2. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

You won't be able to use the Verison one here. CDMA is not available.
    the AT&T iPhone can be used. You just need to pick up a sim here.
    Most carriers here now have PAYG nano sims. I'm on Vodaphone which is also good with a bolt on for Europe.

3. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

The Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked for GSM use so you should be fine.

And I'd suggest using a pre-paid carrier, I've heard those are all over Europe.

EDIT: You can't use GSM LTE with the VZW iP5, although I doubt you'd get it with a pre-paid carrier anyway.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You take the AT&T phone to any phone shop in the UK, and buy a pay-as-you-go sim card with as much money on it as you want. Pay-as-you-go means no surprise charges; when you run out of money it stops working. For example, O2 gives you I think 250 minutes plus 250 MB to be used within a month for £10. If you run out, you pay another £10. In Paris, you probably do the exact same thing.

5. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Just find an O2 shop when you get to London and get a pre-paid SIM. Depending on the offer that week, you might need to pay a small amount for the SIM, or you might get it free (which is usually the case).

If all you're using it for is Yelp/Maps/Google Searches/Occasional email, 100 or 200 MB will be more than enough.

Depending on how much the roaming costs, you might be able to use the same SIM in Paris... or just repeat the same process when you get to France.

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Isn't Vodaphone Verizon's parent company or something?

Anyway, I'd call Verizon and AT&T and ask if they have any partners in Europe. The Verizon i5 is unlocked for GSM, so you can probably get 3G. You probably need to call AT&T and get that phone unlocked. Fair warning that if you're still on contract they may not do it for you.

7. 617aircav Suspended

In London just walk into any shop that sells food, magazines, etc and buy a SIM for one pound.

8. IndyBob macrumors member

IndyBob

Check out this site. I have used them before with good results.

telestial.com

9. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

I concur that at least in the UK it is straightforward to pick up pay-as-you-go (pre-paid) sims. There are various companies, Vodafone, O2, Orange/T-mobile(EE) are the most obvious.

10. abz1981 macrumors 65816

11. DEG1 macrumors member

Or.... turn the damn phones off. You're on vacation!

12. 617aircav Suspended

Because being on vacation does not involve getting in touch with close family members now and then, or because vacation time means one is totally out of touch with what's going on at home, or one may not need to make an emergency call.

13. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

HAHA.. I feel you. However, it's not to call but mainly for DATA usage and location services.

14. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

At least on AT&T you can get international data plans that work in the UK and France that give you some amount of data. don't know cost vs the O2 since I was only going to be in London for 2 days I didn't want the hasle of going to a store etc. But it is an option but I don't know comparable costs.

15. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

As someone who just returned from Germany and Paris, everyone is correct. Your best bet is to buy a prepaid sim from the local carrier of your choice. One thing I will say is being that you plan on traveling to separate countries in Europe is to actually have them set up the account online so you can add funds as you will need to pay for/buy data and or minutes as your travel. I bought my first prepaid Sim in Germany and figured it would suffice for the time I was there, so I never set up a true revolving prepaid account with t mobile. When i got to France I received a text saying I could use my German t mobile Sim here but at a higher rate and since I never set up my account i could not add funds, and this was my only device to access the internet with so I was SOL and had to buy a french prepaid card for another 15 euro's instead of adding 5-10 to use the service in France. Just FYI :)