How do I get AT&T to quit texting me?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by one1, Feb 13, 2008.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

I want to stop ALL texts to my phone. I do not have a text plan and I am on PYP prepaid. AT&T keeps texting me and costing me my balance!

If there is no simple way.......... whadda ya think will happen if I delete the SMS.app? If it never gets to my phone will I still be charged if it goes through the system? I wouldn't think, but............

2. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Why don't you just call them and tell them you want the messages to stop. I'm sure they can stop it on their end pretty easily.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The at&t texts are free. They do it so you can know what your balance is. If you want them to stop, call 611 (a free call) and ask them to stop. If you are getting them when you aren't making calls, someone else is using your account.

TEG

4. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

As far as I know, all AT&T messages sent by AT&T are free. I have never been charged for one from them. I don't think deleting the SMS app will do any good either. You can call AT&T and they will disable text messages for your phone, then you won't have anything to worry about.

5. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

They are not free because I just got charged for them for the last 8 hours they have been texting me. As I said I am on PYP prepaid so it deducts from my account balance each time I get a text.

I chose prepaid so I could get a feel for AT&T coverage and service in my area before I locked myself into a 2 yr contract. Things like this will be a deal breaker.

6. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Definitely call them and get them straightened out. There is no reason something simple like this should be a deal breaker.

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

All calls and texts from AT&T should be free, so if you are being charged for them then something is wrong and you need to contact AT&T and sort it out. I'm on prepaid as well and have never been charged for a text from AT&T.

8. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

^^ Do they charge you to call customer service? If so or if not, which way do you call? (number)

9. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

No they do not. I call '611' from my iPhone.

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

No charge for customer service. Call 611.

Also, the ballance txts are suppossed to be free. If not, I'd be demanding a refund.

TEG

11. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Log-in to wireless.att.com and there are various and sundry options including text preferences. But, I also agree they are FREEBIES.

12. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

They just keep sending me meaningless texts such as "Your plan is" and "you added XXX amount to your balance xxx days ago". Completely meaningless, but if they had not been charging me I could have overlooked them. Each time I get one my balance pops up and says "You were charged 15 cents for the last...."

What is that GPRS that keeps popping up?

Attached Files:

13. aerospace macrumors 6502a

call and ask something is wrong there. i have att prepaid on iphone and only get 1 text a month from them, when they add new minutes at the beginning of the month...and that one is free too

14. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I don't know how the Pay Per Use accounts work. When I log in to my account online I can go to my profile page and at the bottom there is a marketing settings section. You can choose what kind of emails, texts or calls you would like to receive from AT&T. I doubt that what you are receiving falls under marketing but either way you should not be getting charged for the types of texts that you are receiving. Give them a call and see what they say.

15. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

I called 611 and the operator said paygo plans are not setup for removal of features so they cannot remove the text messaging from a paygo plan. I was told there is nothing to do but call in for a refund if I get an unwanted text.

DEAL BREAKER.

I was however told that until the phone receives the message and it pops up in the system as "text received, confirmed" and not in "waiting" status I am not charged for the text no matter how many times they send it.

SOOOOOOO....."sms.app......delete" problem solved. FYI :) If the phone doesn't get the text, no charge.

16. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

but....

i thought you were just testing it out? a monthly billed account would allow you to stop texts to your phone.

sounds like you don't want an iphone...

17. kyleaa macrumors regular

While this may work, just because the phone has nothing to do with the text once it receives it doesn't mean that the network won't count the text as being delivered. Your phone will still have gotten the text.

18. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Please read the entire post. For clarification until it pops up on the phone, which confirms the text, it is not received. Exact words.

19. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Negative. I'm making a list of all the pros and cons of every option. My sprint service has been flawless for 6 yrs. They've got about 20% grace to screw this up before I decide not to buy into att service.

20. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

Something tells me deleting sms.app will not solve your problem.

21. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Tell something you'd been lead astray :D

I deleted it at 5:15 pm and text'd myself 25 times from several sources. None made it and none were charged. The att history log for "today" shows up instantly when you do something and log in to your account to view it.

Sorry ATT, if you can't help me I'll help myself. :) (much the same way I asked to be put on prepaid, you said no, and I handled it myself).

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The iPhone isn't for everyone...

"you can take the horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink!" If you've been with Sprint for 6 years and you're happy; be my guest, pick-up one of their "cheezy" touchscreen phones and you won't have to worry about a SIM Card and you can return to your smaller coverage zone (at least in Northern California and Hawaii) in comparison to AT&T. I speak from experience, after almost 10 years with Sprint. So do yourself a favor and sell your "Go iPhone" and hop back on that little yellow Sprint/Nextel bus; 'cause whining on this forum will just get you free downloads of "unlimited VIOLIN music!" :cool:

23. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

When you buy an iPhone you are agreeing to a two year contract with AT&T, so I wouldn't complain too much about AT&T not doing exactly what you want them to do when you are violating their TOS.

24. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Tell me there.... exactly why do I care what part of the country AT&T covers if I do not go there? Especially if both of the places you mentioned are thousands of miles from me?

...and why do I care what SMS phones sprint has if I don't want SMS?

You're a pretty negative person so I'll just let you be over there.

25. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

No, that would be incorrect. At no point in time did AT&T tell me I was required to be on a 2 yr agreement. The phone is not tied to the contract. AT&T said "IF YOU QUALIFY you will be locked into a two year agreement, otherwise you may sign up for prepaid as we give you this option. Prepaid is not a violation of TOS, it is an option given by the carrier right there in iTunes. I'm sorry if you didn't figure this out ahead of time that you could take a test drive before buying into the product for the next 2 yrs.

I swear between the fanboys, and the know it all's, this forum has a few kinks to iron out. Thankfully overall it is wonderful people. :)