Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Don't say Handbrake. Handbrake has NEVER worked for me. It's always crashed on different operating systems and even different computers.

Whats another program that I can actually use to get my movies onto the iPad? Thanks

How about a little more info--what OS are you using, what format are your movies in now?

And sorry, I hate to be this guy but Google is your friend. Google search for Encode movies for iPad---tons of results.

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
You can use airvideo, either to stream movies directly to your iPad, or convert offline so you can add them fysically to your pad using iTunes

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
Are you using a Mac or Windows computer? Handbrake and VLC player on a MAC should do the trick. On a Windows machine you will need a decoder, but Handbrake works on that format also. I have used it on both OS's and works great for me with 300 plus movies...

Slimdude20

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2007
I also could use a hand. I tried handbrake. But i cant load any of the movies onto my ipad. i can to my ipod touch but for some reason it wont load to ipad. I followed this guys instructions and still itunes wont let me put it onto the ipad. any idea?

-Here's what this guy suggested-

to the OP, I've actually been doing the same thing and copying all of my personal DVDs to my computer so that I can then re-play them on my Apple TV, iPhone and soon to be iPad. Everyone has their own opinion on how to encode videos using Handbrake, this is mine. I've figured out that by selecting the iPhone preset and then upscaling the video, that will give me the same quality of video as iTunes does. pre-selecting the Apple Tv quality won't make it compatible with my iPhone or iPod nano, only Apple TV.

I did a lot of testing and I finally settled on one that makes me happy.

1. On the right Preset panel, Select iPhone & iPod touch.

2. I then manually changed the Quality to 1800 kbps. Also, make sure the Video Codec is set to H.264 (it should already be selected)

3.Then go into your Picture Setting on the top panel, and change the Anamorphic quality to Strict (this should give you the original quality of the video)

4. I personally use these filter settings to give me a nice clean image.

5. this is just a video preview of what the video will look like. Handbrake lets you preview 10-15-20-30 seconds of the video before you spend 2 hours encoding the video.

Final Result
[/QUOTE]

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Sorry, but Handbrake has been awesome for me. Doesn't make sense why it wouldn't work for you.

There are YouTube videos that will show you how to use it properly on a Mac so that it will work better for you.

Slimdude20

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2007
Sorry, but Handbrake has been awesome for me. Doesn't make sense why it wouldn't work for you.

There are YouTube videos that will show you how to use it properly on a Mac so that it will work better for you.

Thank you. I youtubed it and it turns out you need the 64bit Handbrake for it to work. Thanks works perfectly now.

doodude

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
pssst, look behind you...
Im using 'Im Too iPad Video Converter' to convert & so far its has done an excellent job. No problems playing any vids so far...

I use a PC, Windows 7, 32 bit & Ive done just drag & drop without a hitch.

Slimdude20

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2007
Yeah I just purchased airvideo. Wroks great. Might not be as crisp and clean as converting it yourself but the picture is still great to watch.

I have an ipad with 3g connectivity (havent purchased a 3g plan yet but I will next week.) Will i be able to convert movies over the network? It says you can but I was just wondering if anyone had any issues with it.

Lotso

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
OC, California
Okay good to know. Also should I turn on denoise and deblock? and if so at which settings? i'm mostly converting avi files to files for my ipad.

I've been using whatever the default is on the High Profile preset. It offers, I think, a good compromise between quality, file size, and compatabilty.

Yeah I just purchased airvideo. Wroks great. Might not be as crisp and clean as converting it yourself but the picture is still great to watch.

I have an ipad with 3g connectivity (havent purchased a 3g plan yet but I will next week.) Will i be able to convert movies over the network? It says you can but I was just wondering if anyone had any issues with it.

Yeah you can, it depends how powerful your computer is and how fast your Internet connection to you computer is.

guyducati

macrumors regular
Original poster
What are the sources of the movies or what format are they in?

Have you tried the latest Handbrake version yet?

Yes, I have the latest version, and my movies are in either .avi or .mp4 format

What format are your movies in? You can try videomonkey.

Im using 'Im Too iPad Video Converter' to convert & so far its has done an excellent job. No problems playing any vids so far...

I use a PC, Windows 7, 32 bit & Ive done just drag & drop without a hitch.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try these.

And I've tried Handbrake on 3 of my computers:

Macbook Pro w/ 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 ram, and a 9600m GT (Snow Leopard)

Desktop computer w/ Core 2 Quad 2.6GHZ, 8GB DDR3 ram, and a 9800GT (Vista Ultimate)

Other Desktop Core 2 Quad 2.4GHZ, 4GB DDR2 ram, 9600GT (Windows 7 Business)

Lotso

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
OC, California
@guyducati, sometimes if your didc is scratched and it cant read it properly it will crash Handbrake. Or if your settings are too high.

Slimdude20

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2007
I've been using whatever the default is on the High Profile preset. It offers, I think, a good compromise between quality, file size, and compatabilty.

Yeah you can, it depends how powerful your computer is and how fast your Internet connection to you computer is.

So i got a G5 intel not the newest one but still pretty quick. quad 2.8ghz 4gb ram. But it's on a dsl speed. which runs about 1.3Mb/sec. is that fast enough over 3g? I'm a verizon guy so I have no clue how fast the At&T network is.

Lotso

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
OC, California
So i got a G5 intel not the newest one but still pretty quick. quad 2.8ghz 4gb ram. But it's on a dsl speed. which runs about 1.3Mb/sec. is that fast enough over 3g? I'm a verizon guy so I have no clue how fast the At&T network is.

Yeah that's computers plenty quick, your Internet, not so much....I've noticed on one of comouters that it starts and stops if the wifi is low. Your just going to have to test it out your self

chris650

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I have a similar question...

All my huge DVD collection is in ISO files.

What can I do to view on iPad?

khanriazaoif

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2007
Don't say Handbrake. Handbrake has NEVER worked for me. It's always crashed on different operating systems and even different computers.

Whats another program that I can actually use to get my movies onto the iPad? Thanks

Try handbrake. Best one out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.