How do I get my DVD's onto my ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Game 161, May 9, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Anybody know? got a mac so was wondering if it's possible to do and how?

2. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

There's lots of existing thread on this already, so do a little searching and you'll find all you need. Most involve the use of a free program called Handbrake and it's very easy.

Happy searching!

3. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Just downloading. DVD to iPad + iPad Movie Converter + iPad Transfer Suite. Guessing this will be ok?

4. Bradison macrumors regular

You can just use Handbrake and it'll automatically convert it onto an iPad/iTunes friendly format. Once it's ripped the DVD you can drag and drop it into iTunes.

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Another vote for Handbrake.
    Also, have VLC Player installed and running and you can rip copy-protected DVD`s with no problems (local laws allowing of course ;))

6. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

How much is handbrake?

7. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

handbrake is free bro... Just google it. It's a great program. or you can just buy movies from itunes.. saves you the hassle of ripping...

8. brayhite macrumors 6502a

I hate when people don't read all the posts in their own thread.

And I second Handbrake. Even their beta Handbrake Nightly is great. Let's you rip specific parts of the DVD (outtakes, special features, etc.). Also, make sure you download VLC Player like someone else said.

All of this free, of course.

9. dexthageek macrumors 6502

10. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Another suggestion is to use Air Video - keep the DVD rips on your computer and stream them to your iPad. The iPad is not much of a storage device, but streams just fine.

11. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

what happens once i download handbrake? do i just put my DVD in and it will work? how do i get into onto itunes and then onto my ipad?

12. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Google "handbrake": you'll find instructions. It's easy to use.

13. elan123 macrumors 6502

cool bro

14. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

Handbrake and VLC is the way to go. However, it is not straight up simple. You will have to google handbrake, and do some reading on what you need to do to make it all work, as it has some nuance's to it. Once you figure out all the steps, it works great. Both are free.
    Then, once you get them into ITunes, you should be able to sync them to your IPad. Of course, I had some issues with that as well so I google'd that in order to get some additional help.

http://handbrake.fr/

http://download.cnet.com/VLC-Media-Player/3000-13632_4-10267151.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sLMSEnX3rw

15. jwebster420 macrumors newbie

Why does no one address the issue of the error message, stating you can't use 32 bit Handbrake with 64 bit VLC? It seems like a lot us are getting that error and we have tried to download the appropriate VLC software. I download the 64 bit VLC and my Mac won't let me open it, even though I have a 64 bit machine.

16. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Why do you have 32 bit Handbrake ? Do you have your Mac booting into the 64 bit mode ? What Mac do you have, 8,1 9,1 ect..?

17. xraytech macrumors 68020

Handbreak is all you need. Trust me.

18. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

19. jwebster420 macrumors newbie

Just went with WinX DVD Ripper for Mac. Yea I paid $35 for it, but it was really simple and works awesome. Definitely worth the purchase

20. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I use ripit and handbrake... No problems with either of them.. First I rip the DVD with ripit then use handbrake to convert it for itunes.. After it's converted when in itunes just click on add to library find the converted movie and it will add the movie to your itunes list.. Then just sync your ipad and wholla it's on your ipad...

James

21. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

You can go straight to handbrake. Itll rip the dvd on its own.

22. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

When I use rip it it takes 20 mins to put the DVD on my hardrive VS using handbrake and it takes over an 1 hr easy on some movies.. I would rather have it read off my hardrive than my disk drive for that long.. I know these drives are tough but I don't want to have to replace it that much sooner.. Besides my daughter loves to grab my DVD's so I use ripit so I can make a copy and if she gets a hold of that then so be it...

James

23. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

So handbrake seems like the best option then

is it that easy, just download it and put dvd in?

24. mstrze macrumors 68000

If you REALLY want to make it easy, download the scripts and follow the direction in this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=805573

I've done dozens of DVDs this way...put in DVD, choose whether it's a movie or TV show, choose the name of the film from the online database (for tagging), it rips it, then you can schedule encoding to run overnight on a batch of them if you want and you can even automatically get them transferred over to iTunes. Plus the system will even alert you as to when stuff is complete using Growl. It may look difficult at first glance, but you will be up-and-running in 15 minutes TOPS.

While it is true you can just pop in a DVD and have Handbrake encode it directly from the disc I do not recommend this unless you are only encoding a very few DVDs. The reason is it will lead to the early death of your DVD drive since the drive will need to spin constantly as it's encoding. When you rip first, it will take 5-15 minutes to load the entire DVD into your computer, then the encoding works off that 'image' . If you encode from the DVD, the DVD will continually spin and it may take as many as 3 hours to encode, depending on your computer's speed.

2-3 hours of spinning compared to 10-15 minutes...multiplied by however many DVDs you want to encode...

25. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a

Very easy steps to get DVDs (or even blu-rays) onto the iPad:

1) Pick a disc, doesn't matter

2) Get your iPad

3) Place disc on top of the screen.

4) Enjoy, your DVD is now on your iPad

Okay okay, but yeah just google directions "DVD to iPad"

Big fan* of handbreak. (*literally, I've never heard my cpu fan kick in so fast)

Of course protect obey your laws.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to see if the above procedure works for CDs.