Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
Big fan* of handbreak. (*literally, I've never heard my cpu fan kick in so fast)

HaHa Yep.
It got to 102 degrees for me last night. :eek:
You can also cook eggs on your MBP whilst ripping, that`s what I call a featureset.

Don`t let this put you off OP, handbrake does make your machine run hot but it`s never given me a problem.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Handbrake won't run without VLC installed. VLC just runs in the background when Handbrake is doing its thing.

Handbrake will run without VLC being installed, it just won't break copy protection. If you do like some people and rip the DVD to a disk drive first (for back up purposes) using another free program like Mac the Ripper, HB works fine. I also believe that HB will go direct from DVD with just Mac the Ripper installed. I just don't remember when I installed VLC.

I do have a question. Why do people use non free software when Handbrake works so well? What does a $35 program provide that HB and Mac the Ripper doesn't ?

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Handbrake is the defacto standard for this task. I don't store all the movies/tv shows on my iPads tho, I stream them using AirVideo or StreamToMe. No reason to waste storage space. :)

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
I use MakeMKV, then to Handbrake to encode.

The MKV it produces from the blu-rays is outstanding. Handbrake is then used to rip to Apple TV or iPad (or both)

mrtibbs

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
If your willing to spend some money ...the elagato turbo .264 HD software + dongle....its flawless for ipad/ipod/psp/HD.....faster then handbrake and with the USB dongle it takes all the work off the CPU...i've seen them as low as $99

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
If your willing to spend some money ...the elagato turbo .264 HD software + dongle....its flawless for ipad/ipod/psp/HD.....faster then handbrake and with the USB dongle it takes all the work off the CPU...i've seen them as low as $99

It can't be faster than an iMac i7?

I have always wondered just how much that does to be honest. I have the newly released i7 version of the iMac. Is that thing faster than my imac?

mrtibbs

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010
I use ripit and handbrake... No problems with either of them.. First I rip the DVD with ripit then use handbrake to convert it for itunes.. After it's converted when in itunes just click on add to library find the converted movie and it will add the movie to your itunes list.. Then just sync your ipad and wholla it's on your ipad...

James

+1. Ripit is a great $20 investment.

Philipppa

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
How do I get my DVD's onto my ipad 2?

BigDukeSix has given you a right answer. With the converter, you can easily enjoy DVD on iPad 2 anywhere you go.

Shailen

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
Well, Handbrake may be the easiest one and free to use, if you do not need any extra options.

However, I am stilling looking for the best way to add subtitle into mp4 for iPad 2 viewing......

What is the best way to save the subtitles of a DVD into .srt format on Mac?

Handbrake plus Subler has some problem when playing (not smooth if I turn on the subtitle). Any ideas?
Copied DVD OK but left out language & subtitle options, Left out secondary languages and subtitles... perhaps there is a trick but I couldnt find it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.