How do I hide my IP address?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Flashy, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Flashy macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, can anyone tell me if there is a free program that would allow me to hide my IP address? Thanks

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

You need to be much more specific with what you're trying to achieve in your question if you want to get any useful answers.

3. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Assuming you talking pr0n I will suggest Tor. Google for it:rolleyes:

4. Flashy thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to visit a site but I know that a spyware software will detect my IP. so how can I view the site without being recognised?

Thanks for your reply Mydel. What does pr0n mean? and where can I download Tor?

5. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

6. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Or he could be trying to breach a major security network or he could be trying to get into the Pentagon or worse... MacRumors...

Seriously though, is this for pr0n or something else?

7. Flashy thread starter macrumors newbie

I am definately not talking pr0n! nor am I trying to do anything illegal!!
    I just wanted to see someones profile on myspace without being spotted..

8. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

he wants to join in on the anonymous attack against scientology. everyone join in!

9. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I still don't get what the hell Scientology is about... Seriously, it's been a while since Tom Cruise said he believed in Scientology and to this day, I still don't know what the hell it's about.

Well Flashy, I'm not sure if the profile owner can see your IP address let alone know who it belongs to.

I also doubt that the owner will go through the trouble of contacting the ISP of every IP address he receives (that is if he can find out the IP addresses). Correct me if I'm wrong, please...

So if... If it isn't pr0n or anything illegal, I'm guessing you're checking some one out on MySpace and don't want to get caught, right? Go to your local computer lab, it's the BEST way.

10. Flashy thread starter macrumors newbie

KJ thanks for the reply. The profile owner, an ex, has caught me looking at his profile just a week ago. He wasn't upset about it but he told me that he has some spyware that detects my IP. He lives in Spain now and I live in Italy. He does check every IP address that visits his profile This is a bit silly.. I realise.. I am a newby and don't know anything about these spyware programs. This has nothing to do with Pr0n or anything illegal. If I go to my local computer lab he'll still know it's me!

11. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Another way to do it is just use a browser proxy from another country. It'll be quite slow (dial-up speed) but if it's only for viewing his page a few times, then it won't really matter, not like your downloading stuff.

Just google something like "USA Proxy" After you've put it in your browser, if he looks at IP address it will look like you are someone from America etc (depending on what country you use).

12. Flashy thread starter macrumors newbie

What I would like to know now is if I use proxify.com will the spyware still detect my IP address?

Thanks Lisa! You understand what I want to do. I will try some USA proxy. Ciao

13. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

No. You will look like you are from the country you used the IP from. If you want to absolutely check it's working before you go to the MySpace page or whatnot then just go to this IP Tracker. Good luck.

14. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Hmm... Now I'm not a pro or a major geek in networking, I know a little like setting up my home network and such but from what I Google'd, would a proxy work?

Any pros at networking, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I noticed this site
    http://www.eatproxy.com/
    found out my IP, so I used their own proxy to visit the same website and the IP address was different.
    http://www.eatproxy.com/proxy
    After, to confirm, I used an IP locator (address on 2nd image) to find out the address of the IP. The proxy's IP was located to a place ~9,000 miles from where I lived (don't correct me on that one lol).

First image, the left side is where I went to the website w/o the proxy and the right is when I used the proxy on their own site. IP addresses are different.

[​IMG]

Second image, the smaller window is the address the website tracked the proxy's IP address down to and the bigger window is my real IP tracked (note that I don't live in Seoul, a lot more south of the city so I guess my ISP is acting as a proxy for me, which it seems that their HQ is based in Seoul).
    http://www.ip-adress.com/

[​IMG]

Again, some one please correct me if I'm wrong.

LAWL DAMN!! Some one beat me to it, I was edit my post and taking pictures lol!

15. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

You could try netshade but I think you're being a bit paranoid.

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Go to an Internet cafe or anywhere else where there is free Internet access.

17. coolbits macrumors member

Will not help hiding you IP if you then login and check that profile LOL

Just logout and check it :)

18. Flashy thread starter macrumors newbie

KJmoon thanks man! I am trying what you wrote about just now.
    :D

19. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Well in other words, use a proxy or go to your local computer lab or library. Although going on MySpace in a library seems really really wrong... Best to try a local computer lab.

Or if you use a laptop, go to a Starbucks/Barnes and Noble and use their wireless internet (I'm guessing it's free, right?).

Good luck

20. Flashy thread starter macrumors newbie

There are no Sturbucks here in Milan :( so I can't get a good muffin unless I make it myself! Unfortunately there's not wireless connection anywhere. how sad! we are so much behind you guys..

21. britpop macrumors member

22. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

More obvious answer is:

Get over your ex. Go out dancing and go meet someone else. Don't stalk...

23. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Wait, you can't stalk MySpace without hiding your IP? Who's going to see it?

24. Flashy thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not stalking anyone! you can't judge a situation you do not know anything about. Mine was just a "technical" question. in any case why can't we have some privacy while we surf the net?

25. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Because every time you make a request to a server, such as wanting to view a web page, the server needs to know where to send the data. Thus you must expose your IP address.

Your IP address is your like your home address. No one can send you a package, unless you first give them your address.