How Do I Keep All My App Data When I Sync With My New MacBook

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sloken, Feb 3, 2011.

1. sloken macrumors member

I have been syncing my iPhone 4 with my Win 7 laptop but want to finally start syncing with my MacBook. I have copied over all of my music, movies, apps, etc... and authorized the computer.

When I connect the iPhone to iTunes on the MacBook and try to sync, it tells me that all my data will be erased.

I was wondering if I turn off auto sync, take a backup, sync with the MacBook then restore from backup, will I then be able to continue syncing with the MacBook or will my iPhone think that since the last time I synced I used the Win 7 laptop, all data must be erased again in order to sync with the MacBook?

Thank in advance for the help!

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

TURN OFF AUTOSYNC on the new Mac!
    Connect your phone to the new Mac, open Itunes, right click on your device, and select transfer purchases.
    That will transfer your apps from your IOS device to your Mac. The app data will remain on your phone, and will be transferred (backed up) to iTunes, the first time you sync.
    Before you sync for the first time, click the app portion of your device in iTunes and rearrange the apps to match your phone.

You didn't ask, so I assume you know how to transfer your photos, contacts, and songs. Be very careful or you will lose all of that.

3. sloken thread starter macrumors member

Wouldn't I backup my calendar, contacts, photos, vids, etc... by doing a backup of my iPhone prior to the sync then restore???

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

No, doesn't work like that.

5. sloken thread starter macrumors member

Then what do I need to do because I definitely DO NOT want to lose my pics and vids?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Are your pics in the camera roll or are they organized in folders?

7. sloken thread starter macrumors member

Camera roll as I have not been able to figure out how to organize them into folders. I'm new to the iPhone since the end of September so I'm still getting up to speed on anything more than basic use.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

OK, we will get you pics and vids done first, then worry about the apps later.
    What version of iPhoto do you have on your Mac?

9. sloken thread starter macrumors member

10. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Fantastic!:D I have been using iPhone for a long time but am a recent convert from windows. I have the same version of iPhoto, so that will make it much easier.

1) Connect your phone to your Mac. IF iTunes opens, close it!
    2) If you have photos in the camera roll on your phone, iPhoto should recognize your phone as a camera and open with the option to transfer your photos to your Mac.
    3) Click on the import all tab in upper right corner, or just select the ones that you want and import those,
    4) After the photos have downloaded to your computer, you can separate them into Albums, witch can then be selected in iTunes and later synced back to your phone.

Check iPhoto, to make sure that the photos downloaded, before deleting from your phone.

11. sloken thread starter macrumors member

I have copied all my photos and videos and they are in 1 folder. Once I get my iPhone syncing with this computer and the photos are back on, will they show up in the camera roll or will I have a folder named "Whatever I named the folder in iPhoto"?

12. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Before you disconnect your phone from your computer, make sure that you right click on your device in the left pane of iPhoto and select "Unmount".

Right now, you have all of yor photos in what is called an "event".
    We want to create some "albums" and then organize the Photos that you want on your phone into thos "albums that you are gonna create.
    In iPhoto, select file from the menubar and select >new>album. Make as many albums as you want. When you get that done we will move some of the photos from the "event" to the albums.

13. sloken thread starter macrumors member

Done! I have a bunch of events now and have unmounted.

14. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You have a bunch of events or albums?

15. sloken thread starter macrumors member

16. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You need to make some albums. Look at my previous post. You need to make some albums. We are gonna select those photos in the events and make them show up in the albums.

17. sloken thread starter macrumors member

I have 1 Album & 1 Smart Album and both have photos in them

18. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

How many photos do you have? You probably want it a little better organized than just two albums. The albums are what we are gonna sync back to your phone.

19. sloken thread starter macrumors member

318 photos and 64 videos. Almost all of the are of my son so 1 Album named after him is OK since I currently have them all in Camera Roll anyways. I can always create additional albums and move photos around and have them sync correct?

20. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

They aren't gonna be in your camera rolla after your first sync. Thae only place they will be is on your computer. Ok if you are satisfied with just the two albums, lets put some in those albums.

21. sloken thread starter macrumors member

I now have a couple more albums and have put events into those albums.

22. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Double click on one of the events, and it will open the event. Select the photos that you want in a certain album, hit the plus sign (add to) down at the bottom right corner, select the album you want and it should copy the photos to that album. When you get them in the albums like you want, we will get the apps.

23. sloken thread starter macrumors member

Photos are all sorted out! Now on to the apps?

24. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If you have auto sync turned on in iTtunes, turn if off
    After you turn autosync off, connect your phone to iTunes, select your device in the left pane and select 'TRANSFER PURCHASES".

25. sloken thread starter macrumors member