Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mkz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Manchester, UK
Hi there,

I plan to purchase an iPhone whenever i have the money and I also plan to hack it and put my Orange (United Kingdom) SIM Card in it. Would this automatically work or not?

Does anyone know if the iPhone works with Orange in the UK?
Also, does anyone know if I bought an iPhone from America, would it work in the UK?

Thanks alot :]
Max

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Hi there,

I plan to purchase an iPhone whenever i have the money and I also plan to hack it and put my Orange (United Kingdom) SIM Card in it. Would this automatically work or not?

Does anyone know if the iPhone works with Orange in the UK?
Also, does anyone know if I bought an iPhone from America, would it work in the UK?

Thanks alot :]
Max

Any iPhone works anywhere, as long as you unlock it

jamescwarren

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2005
Isle of Man
I've used ZiPhone twice now. Once to unlock my OOTB 1.1.3 16 GB iPhone, and the second time was to update to 1.1.4. Go ahead and use ZiPhone, it's fantastic!

intoxicated662

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
you can also just buy a cheap $5 pre paid sim card and use that. make a call and if it works then obviously you can use it however you'd like.

Mkz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Manchester, UK
Thanks alot for your replies.

If I put my SIM card into an iPhone and I dont want it to try and connect to EDGE (Because I dont have a data plan) can I turn that off? And only allow it to connect to WiFi?

How would I do that?

akwarner

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2006
I use an app called Boss Prefs (version 1.56 is the one I have) and it will allow you to selectively turn off Edge, WiFi, Bluetooth and various email addresses. Works well. I typically leave WiFi on and turn of Edge so that I do not inadvertently use data on Edge. You can install Boss Prefs from Installer after you jailbreak your phone. I used ZiPhone and it put the Installer app onto the phone automatically.

Hope that helps.

A.

Thanks alot for your replies.

If I put my SIM card into an iPhone and I dont want it to try and connect to EDGE (Because I dont have a data plan) can I turn that off? And only allow it to connect to WiFi?

How would I do that?

Mkz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2007
Manchester, UK
I read on another forums this post:

You could SSH into your phone and edit the EDGE settings manually.

SSH to: private/var/preferences/SystemConfiguration

then open the preferences.plist

scroll down to the following:

<key>DeviceName</key>
<string>ip1</string>
<key>Hardware</key>
<string>com.apple.CommCenter</string>
<key>Type</key>
<string>com.apple.CommCenter</string>
</dict>
<key>com.apple.CommCenter</key>
<dict>
<key>AllowNetworkAccess</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Available</key>
<integer>0</integer>
<key>Setup</key>
<dict>
<key>apn</key>
<string>smartsites.t-mobile</string>
<key>password</key>
<string>t-mobile</string>
<key>username</key>
<string>tm</string>

and erase the bold text from your preferences.plist(it wont be bold on your phones list).
Save it and reboot your phone.

Done.

This is my preferences.plist from T-Mo, so actually when you using AT&T there should be other APN, username and password.

And apparently this worked but I am a bit confused about what this means: "You could SSH into your phone"

Im assuming this is some sort of editor that would allow me to change files or something like that? Can anyone help me out here on what this is?

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
I'm in the UK too, with a 1.1.4 phone unlocked and jailbroken using iPlus (great tool).

I'm not sure you need to worry about Edge if you don't have a data contract, as your SIM won't be set up to connect to it.

I just did that Wednesday this week, and at the moment I have my Tesco Mobile pay-as-you-go SIM card in there. If I'm near my wifi the phone connects and uses the internet that way. So Google Maps, You Tube, etc work a treat.

If I haven't a wifi connection,, and open one of those apps, the phone gives the message "can't connect to the Edge network, you are not subscribed to Edge", and the internet apps don't work.

I have just been and signed up to a monthly SIM-only contract for minutes and texts, plus a web-browsing add-on that will allow the Edge connection. (I chose O2 but it could equally have been any of the other 2G networks - but not 3 who are 3G only.) When I get that SIM in the phone, it will be able to connect to Edge.

I think that all means that:
1. Yes your Orange card will work
2. You'll only get internet on wifi
3. You could get Orange's internet add-on (£7.50 a month) if you wanted to have internet on the go

PS. 4. Just don't get a "pay per Mb" internet data contract

dickovski

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2007
Norwich, UK
I'm using an Orange PAYG sim in my iPhone (1.1.4 unlocked with ziphone). It works perfectly on Edge where available (hardly anywhere in Norfolk) otherwise it reverts to GPRS but you do need to enter the correct edge settings otherwise it won't work at all. You can turn it off or on whenever you want if you install Boss Tools. It even works with the mail app which my O2 PAYG sim doesn't (I have a Yahoo email account).

I try not to use it to much when not on wifi as it does eat through your credit but find if I prepay for 16mb (4 quid) it will just about get me through the month. The key is to use mobile optimised sites when browsing on gprs rather than the full blown sites and obviously no YouTube or video!

All in all, out of all the PAYG sims I've tried in my iPhone Orange works best for me. If it had an unlimited data plan for say a fiver a month it would be perfect!:rolleyes:

dickovski

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2007
Norwich, UK
I think that all means that:
1. Yes your Orange card will work
2. You'll only get internet on wifi
3. You could get Orange's internet add-on (£7.50 a month) if you wanted to have internet on the go

PS. 4. Just don't get a "pay per Mb" internet data contract

I can get on the internet with or without a data plan. It's just more expensive without - quid a megabyte I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.