Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
It is quite simple.

1. Create a GMail account.
2. Go to forwarding under settings and enter your Hotmail address.
3. Look for a confirmation email to forward in your Hotmail inbox.
4. Start telling people your GMail name.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
I was under the impression that POP was basically download-and-delete. That is, you download the messages from the server and choose either to have the downloaded messages deleted or stored on the server (in order to access them via webmail later on). But you mean it actually syncs (un)read-statuses as well? Which clients would be able to use for this?

No, POP leaves the message on the server and is a sync service. You can set the client up to delete but it looks like iMail can't handle it. I tried with iMail and it failed then I tried with thunderbird and a few others and it worked. So, Apple failed on this one.

It was free until 2009, after that you had to use Windows Live Mail (the mail client bundled with MSN Messenger in Windows) in order for it to work properly.

As I mentioned below, it looks like they are allowing it. You don't have to use Windows Live, just a client program that allows IMAP to be used.
You probably need to dig a bit deeper. Setting up a Hotmail account in Mail.app (which I assume is what you call iMail) can be done as a POP, IMAP, Exchange or Exchange IMAP account. Only POP will work, unless you use one of those solutions you, I and others have mentioned. Also, it used to work until Microsoft stopped supporting it. So it's not really an "Apple won't allow it" issue, but a "Microsoft won't allow it" issue.

No, it is an Apple won't allow it. I have tried a few programs and only iMail won't allow me to configure IMAP for hotmail accounts. Other mail systems allow me to use it without any problems. In the past is was a feature that MS charged for (the reason I switched to GMail). Please feel free to post up the instructions on how to get IMAP working with Hotmail in the iMail client without third party tools since you seem to know better. Meh... I don't care any longer.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
No, POP leaves the message on the server and is a sync service. You can set the client up to delete but it looks like iMail can't handle it. I tried with iMail and it failed then I tried with thunderbird and a few others and it worked. So, Apple failed on this one.
When you're talking about iMail, are you talking about the native mail app, Mail, in OS X?

As far as I know, the only way of getting it to work (pushing read status, deleted mails) with Thunderbird is using the webmail plugin, or another solution like mBox Mail.

As I mentioned below, it looks like they are allowing it. You don't have to use Windows Live, just a client program that allows IMAP to be used.
Are you really trying to say Mail doesn't allow IMAP to be used? That's just not correct.

No, it is an Apple won't allow it. I have tried a few programs and only iMail won't allow me to configure IMAP for hotmail accounts. Other mail systems allow me to use it without any problems. In the past is was a feature that MS charged for (the reason I switched to GMail). Please feel free to post up the instructions on how to get IMAP working with Hotmail in the iMail client without third party tools since you seem to know better. Meh... I don't care any longer.
No, in the past Hotmail offered it to everyone. Since about two years you have to pay for it.

Do you really need instructions on how to add an account in Mail?

Why don't you explain to the OP, me and all the others that have been having problem setting up Hotmail properly how we should do it?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-02 at 14.27.09.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-02 at 14.27.09.png
    153 KB · Views: 139

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
When you're talking about iMail, are you talking about the native mail app, Mail, in OS X?

As far as I know, the only way of getting it to work (pushing read status, deleted mails) with Thunderbird is using the webmail plugin, or another solution like mBox Mail.

This is my last post on this as I am simply tired of arguing it. I do this daily and have been setting up and using POP and IMAP accounts for years. Yes, I am talking about the native mail account.

In Windows I can use any client (Eudora, Outlook, Thunderbird etc...) I want and have it delete using POP. This is nothing new and is possible but it is not immediate. The client has to sync with the server and send the request to have the message removed. Did this last night on my Windows box and it worked fine in Hotmail. Mail on Mac, on the other had, failed at removing the message. No additional anything was needed and never has been as this is the way POP works. What do you think we did before we had IMAP?

Are you really trying to say Mail doesn't allow IMAP to be used? That's just not correct.

I didn't say that at all, I said that you can't use IMAP will Hotmail via mail. I check my options and there was no way to change from POP (set by mail on setup) to IMAP. It is locked out...

No, in the past Hotmail offered it to everyone. Since about two years you have to pay for it.

Do you really need instructions on how to add an account in Mail?

Why don't you explain to the OP, me and all the others that have been having problem setting up Hotmail properly how we should do it?

As for the rest, say as you please. I have been a Microsoft dev for over 10 years now and have had my Hotmail account since the 90's and even paid for a premium account for a while, so I know what was offered. I also have a Windows phone and use it regularly now which works flawlessly with Hotmail. As for explaining how to get it working, that is what I was asking you to do since you seem to think that you can get mail to work with Hotmail on IMAP. I have not been successful at making the changes and at this point have lost interest.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
This is my last post on this as I am simply tired of arguing it. I do this daily and have been setting up and using POP and IMAP accounts for years. Yes, I am talking about the native mail account.

In Windows I can use any client (Eudora, Outlook, Thunderbird etc...) I want and have it delete using POP. This is nothing new and is possible but it is not immediate. The client has to sync with the server and send the request to have the message removed. Did this last night on my Windows box and it worked fine in Hotmail. Mail on Mac, on the other had, failed at removing the message. No additional anything was needed and never has been as this is the way POP works. What do you think we did before we had IMAP?
Are you only talking about syncing the deletion of e-mails in the inbox? I'm talking about push, folder syncing and all that is IMAP.

I didn't say that at all, I said that you can't use IMAP will Hotmail via mail. I check my options and there was no way to change from POP (set by mail on setup) to IMAP. It is locked out...
You can bypass the automatic setup and set it up as an IMAP account. But it won't work since Microsoft doesn't allow it. If you think it's Apple not allowing it, then why doesn't it work in Outlook 2011 either?

As for the rest, say as you please. I have been a Microsoft dev for over 10 years now and have had my Hotmail account since the 90's and even paid for a premium account for a while, so I know what was offered. I also have a Windows phone and use it regularly now which works flawlessly with Hotmail. As for explaining how to get it working, that is what I was asking you to do since you seem to think that you can get mail to work with Hotmail on IMAP. I have not been successful at making the changes and at this point have lost interest.
It seems like I got IMAP confused with WebDAV that used to be free, and DeltaSync that you need to pay for.

Have you read my posts? I've never said IMAP works for Hotmail in Mail (I've said nothing but the opposite in fact).

I have said you can set up an IMAP account for Hotmail in Mail. But since Microsoft doesn't support it, it won't work though.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007

Nope, POP wasn't deleting messages in Outlook from iPhone and vis-a-versa before we went to Google Apps.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Nope, POP wasn't deleting messages in Outlook from iPhone and vis-a-versa before we went to Google Apps.

You can set Outlook to delete the messages from the server, then you have to manually sync (or wait for Outlook to reach its sync interval) for the delete-command to be sent to Hotmail, which in turn will delete the e-mail. Then you will have to manually sync (or wait for the iPhone to reach its sync interval) for the deleted mail to disappear.

Outlook has the option to delete individual e-mails from the inbox, whilst as Mail only have the option to delete all downloaded e-mails or none at all. I don't remember whether or not iPhone had the option of deleting individual e-mails, all or none at all, but today you can set it up as an Exchange account using the server m.hotmail.com which gives you push, syncing of folders and so on.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Is there any post by the OP that made you believe that (s)he is using or have access to Entourage or Outlook 2011, or did you just completely forgot to mention that your "simple" solution requires the purchase of the Microsoft Office 2011 suite that will set the OP back 200 bucks?

I made the post to a subsequent response that said there was no mail client to do it. There is.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I made the post to a subsequent response that said there was no mail client to do it. There is.

Okay. Could you give us a step by step explanation to how to set up Hotmail as an account with "real time updates" (i.e. push) in Outlook 2011, please?

When I try it, I can only get it to work as a POP account (not as an Exchange account, not as an IMAP account), and when Microsoft explain how to set up Hotmail in Outlook 2011, it's as a POP account (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2352963).

domoo3

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2012
Solution

Hi,

faced the same problem, I think I found a solution

at you original hotmail account ( website ) Go to your name on the top right corner >> a drop down menu will appear >> options >> then on the left corner there choose "Mail" >> POP and deleting downloaded messeges >> click on " Do what my other program says ... " >> save.

at your mail program " Mail for mac " go to MAil >> preference >> accounts >> choose your account >> advanced tab >> Click on " remove copy from server ... " >> choose immediately or whatever you like.

Hope this will help .

Regards

Aksta

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
Surrey, UK
It is quite simple.

1. Create a GMail account.
2. Go to forwarding under settings and enter your Hotmail address.
3. Look for a confirmation email to forward in your Hotmail inbox.
4. Start telling people your GMail name.

i did this with 2 accounts so now all my email come through gmail and they are still in hotmail account incase i need to access them there. best solution i found to keep my hotmail addresses and have IMAP for email syncing over all devices.

Yemsky

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
Hi,

faced the same problem, I think I found a solution

at you original hotmail account ( website ) Go to your name on the top right corner >> a drop down menu will appear >> options >> then on the left corner there choose "Mail" >> POP and deleting downloaded messeges >> click on " Do what my other program says ... " >> save.

at your mail program " Mail for mac " go to MAil >> preference >> accounts >> choose your account >> advanced tab >> Click on " remove copy from server ... " >> choose immediately or whatever you like.

Hope this will help .

Regards

Don't do this unless you understand what it does.
It will not simply sync the deletion of eMails which you have deleted in Mail (the Mac program) to your Hotmail account. Instead: Every time you download messages from the Hotmail Server to "Mail" on your Mac all messages that have been downloaded from the Hotmail server will be deleted from the server. You now only have them on your Mac with no backup "in the cloud", ie on Microsoft's Hotmail server anymore.
Luckily, Mail will worn you before you switch this on with this message:

"Are you sure you want to remove the copies of downloaded messages from the server for the “Hotmail” POP account?

Only the copies of the messages still on your computer will remain. Any messages that you have downloaded and erased will be lost permanently."

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Odd that it works with the mail app in IOS. Why not included in even Mountain Lion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.