How do I permanently open certain video files with a specific App (ie, VLC)?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kierennyc, May 19, 2009.

1. kierennyc macrumors regular

For some reason my mac always resets my 'open with' preferences if I restart my computer.

So for instance, even if I go through the usual route of selecting a program as the default player (select file/get info/open with/change all), as soon as I restart my mac it will always revert back to the default players and not the newly selected one.

Is there a work around? A setting in OSX which im missing? Or perhaps a third party app which can handle this?

Any advice appreciated!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Another problem is that a lot of the newer media players guard their file associations very jealously, i.e. they will basically fight for precedence even though you set the default application in Finder. You may also need to go into the individual preferences of each media player you have installed and find if they have the option for "Maintain file associations" checked. The wording may differ but the theory is the same for all media players.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yea, that's a good caveat - an app can set its own association and overwrite other settings.