How do I properly quote a poem in the MLA way?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Sep 22, 2011.

1. waloshin, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I am trying to quote a poem and cannot remember the correct way.
    The format has to be MLA format.

A) Up! up! my Friend, and quit your books;(Wordsworth 1) / Books! 'tis a dull and endless strife (Wordworth 9)/ There's more of wisdom in it.”. (Wordsworth 12) In this quote from the poem the speaker is saying that reading is not worth it, that the character needs to put their books down. Book are dull and a waste of time. There's more to learn if you would just leave your books behind.

B) Up! up! my Friend, and quit your books; / Books! 'tis a dull and endless strife/ There's more of wisdom in it.” (Wordsworth 1,9,12). In this quote from the poem the speaker is saying that reading is not worth it, that the character needs to put their books down. Book are dull and a waste of time. There's more to learn if you would just leave your books behind.

Maybe neither.

2. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

4. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'm pretty sure these are frowned upon in this particular establishment. Sometimes instant banning from what I've heard.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Using the direct link is a Time-Out offense, but in this case, for something as simple as that (looking up MLA) I don't think there won't be any repercussions.