how do i put .avi files on ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by peterjmay, Apr 22, 2011.

1. peterjmay macrumors newbie

i just got an ipad and downloaded a bunch of avi movies but they wont let me insert them in itunes??

howd i get them on there?

2. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

You need to do some research buddy. You Can't play Avi directly from iPad with any currenty available software. However take a look at Airvideo, it's a great app and will get you on your way.

3. peterjmay thread starter macrumors newbie

i was looking at airvideo but cant figure out what the server pin is?

how do i find that on my windows laptop??

4. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

I set mine up via IP address mate. But from what I remember the Airvideo software gives you a pin when you set it up.

Perhaps others will clarify... Would check myself but I'm on my iPhone at the moment, not near my pc.

5. peterjmay thread starter macrumors newbie

lol im so confused, i have a couple questions

1) Where do i find my IP address on my windows laptop, and is this ip address what i type in the SERVER PIN box in the box>

2) Does my laptop have to be in the same range as my ipad when i watch the video. For example: I want to put the videos from my laptop on my ipad when i go on vacation leaving my laptop at home and taking my ipad away?

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Did you go to the AirVideo website and download and install the free server software?

7. Flake macrumors regular

Flake

I wonder would Dropbox work?
    VLC isn't on the App store anymore :(

8. peterjmay thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i did

9. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

I would suggest that you probably stay clear of the IP adress option as you are probably on a dynamic IP which means your IP address could change at any time. So forget about this entirely.

Run the airvideo server on your laptop. In the task bar (bottom right of the screen) you should see the airvideo service running. Double click on it. It should bring up a settings box. Click the tab that says remote, in there it should say your server pin.

If you want to be able to watch videos from outside your home network you have to tick the "enable access from Internet" box. Then (assuming your laptop is switched on) you'll be able to watch you videos from anywhere in the world.

10. peterjmay thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm dont think this is gonna work for me.

What format should i convert the avi to so i can drop it into itunes? if i can

11. mrbunglez macrumors regular

mrbunglez

Like another poster said handbreak can convert them to many formats for the mac, iphone ipod and ipad. Thats how i do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Don't bother with Handbrake conversion or AirVideo.

Download Buzz Player HD from the app store - it plays all "unsupported" video formats locally and without conversion.

13. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Why are you being so negative towards the OP? That's why he/she is here trying to find an answer.

14. delirious1 macrumors newbie

Will this software find files on the ipad without importing from itunes. In other words, I have an SD card adapter that uploads avi from my camera and I find them in the photos area. Will it find the avi files from there? If so, I will purchase this app.

15. delirious1 macrumors newbie

Not sure this answers my question. Pretend I don't have a PC. I only have an Ipad and the SD card reader and a camera that takes AVI files that the Ipad currently won't read. They are imported from the SD card into photos. What program will open those AVI stored in photos and play the the AVI that the IPad won't?

16. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

I didn't think SD camera kit would even let you import videos not supported by iOS natively. Presumeably, if you can import a video into Camera Roll - you should be able to play it natively.

In any case, Buzz player lets you import videos via variety of ways - iTunes, network shares, web servers, other iPad apps that support inter-application file exchange.

17. Mitch2742 macrumors member

Air Video if you're using WiFi. Works flawlessly.

CineXPlayer for .avi if you want to put the actual files on your iPad. I haven't used it much yet--only tested it--and the video seemed to play alright. Quality wasn't bad and while video playback wasn't exactly smooth it was definitely watchable.

18. delirious1 macrumors newbie

iPad plays H.264 avi which is 30 fps. I have a game camera that takes avi files that play fine on the pc. I use my iPad via SD card to download avi and pictures so that I don't have to take my camera card home or take a laptop to my hunting lease. Without having to make a 3 dollar experiment, I'd like to know if any of these players can find files imported into the iPad library from the SD card. As if yet, the SD card does import the AVI files but only a gray icon appears that says avi. I can only see them in the photo library under last import. I can't select them to copy and paste into camera roll. I assume others are having problems playing AVI off their cameras and need a program such as buzz player. I have seen where VLC player will open the iPad library but I need confirmation that one of these other programs can find files imported from an SD card.

Thanks for your patience with me. It appears that the iPad is strict to the H.264 avi and won't open my camera cards file that is noted to be 10 FPS which is acceptable for a game camera

19. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

As mentioned use Handbrake on the ATV2 setting.

20. delirious1 macrumors newbie

This is an iPad app? I could not find it in the app store. I'm not looking for a conversion software that is used on a pc. I'm trying to do this straight from the SD card. Thanks

21. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

There are certainly ways to move your media from Camera Roll to third-party apps on your iPad. If you have something like GoodReader, you can:

1) in GoodReader, import video from your Camera Roll
    2) In GoodReader, do "Open-in" to open the video in Buzz player

I just tried it with a standard video, and it worked. I can't promise it will work with the exact AVI type you're trying to work with, but I think it should.

22. delirious1 macrumors newbie

Well I tried. Buzz player downloaded and good reader would not open the file. Says unrecognized format. On the pc, wm player will playnthe file. Not sure what's up.