Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sirpapadeuce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
I bought a verizon iphone for my girlfriend and after discussion she decided she wants to wait and see if an iphone 5 comes out this summer. Is it possible to sell this phone on ebay? Isnt it already tied to her account??? Any help would be much appreciated...

Fresh1

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
Maryland, USA
I bought a verizon iphone for my girlfriend and after discussion she decided she wants to wait and see if an iphone 5 comes out this summer. Is it possible to sell this phone on ebay? Isnt it already tied to her account??? Any help would be much appreciated...

Activate it on her account, then reactivate her current phone. Then you can sell it.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is most likely a way to "deactivate" the phone with Verizon. But, seeing as it's so early in the contract, I'd be surprised if you couldn't just get a refund.

There will be a new iPhone this summer, by the way. It's not yet known if it will support CDMA networks.

sirpapadeuce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
I'd really like to avoid opening it if possible. And if I can make a profit out of this situation I'd rather do that then take it back and get a refund...

tophat1

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2011
you might make a profit on this one, but she'll lose her upgrade and pay full price for the next one (unless you have another upgrade somewhere)

try ebay

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
return it. you should be able to without trouble and you should get your upgrade back but it could take several days for that to process through the Verizon system.

tsolt

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2011
Nevada
lol all these stupid threads. Why don't you search for a thread instead of making a new one.

nickws234

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
Am I missing something? Why on earth is everyone voting to return this phone to Verizon? A Verizon Iphone can be had with your upgrade credits for about $200, yet market price for one through alternate means appears to be $350-450. So if you are good with throwing away your upgrade credit and reverting back to any number of verizon phones the average customer has laying around his or her house, you're looking at about $200 risk-free profit, correct?
If you happen to have a family plan with 5 people who don't like iphones, then you're looking at closer to 1K. Right? Or am I totally missing something?

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is most likely a way to "deactivate" the phone with Verizon. But, seeing as it's so early in the contract, I'd be surprised if you couldn't just get a refund.

There will be a new iPhone this summer, by the way. It's not yet known if it will support CDMA networks.

the iPhone 5/4s what the hell ever will launch on verizon the same day it launches on att, this was confirmed by verizon and engadget, and is posted somewhere on engadget. I would venture a guess that it would work exactly like iPad 2. same device, same day. Would also venture a guess that it will be this way from now on. I do hope apple sticks to exclusivity with vzw/att, with one phone capable of both networks. It would be nice if you could make them interchangeable if unlocked, vzw phone work on att, and vice versa, could be dreaming. None the less it would be great. i buy and sell alot on Craigslist and ebay and so many people have told me that their att iPhone is unlocked for use on vzw, and i tell them that its not possible, and the argue, and we go back and forth til i say " well by all means, ill take it, let me call verizon first and activate it, if it works ill take em all". Then i leave with the exact same iPhone i walked in with lol

Carl G35c

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
Am I missing something? Why on earth is everyone voting to return this phone to Verizon? A Verizon Iphone can be had with your upgrade credits for about $200, yet market price for one through alternate means appears to be $350-450. So if you are good with throwing away your upgrade credit and reverting back to any number of verizon phones the average customer has laying around his or her house, you're looking at about $200 risk-free profit, correct?
If you happen to have a family plan with 5 people who don't like iphones, then you're looking at closer to 1K. Right? Or am I totally missing something?

BC the original poster's girlfriend wants the next version of the iphone. Sure she could sell it for $450 but she would using her upgrade. Then when she went to get the iPhone 5 or whatever its called, she'd be buying at the retail price of $650 So she would be $200 in the red

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
BC the original poster's girlfriend wants the next version of the iphone. Sure she could sell it for $450 but she would using her upgrade. Then when she went to get the iPhone 5 or whatever its called, she'd be buying at the retail price of $650 So she would be $200 in the red

Wouldn't waiting for the iPhone 5 cost $199 plus tax later anyways? By buying iPhone 4 now she will be able to upgrade earlier the next time (the contract starts now instead of a couple months later)

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Wouldn't waiting for the iPhone 5 cost $199 plus tax later anyways? By buying iPhone 4 now she will be able to upgrade earlier the next time (the contract starts now instead of a couple months later)

Yes, but I think you are missing the point. She wants iPhone 5 when it comes out, not next year.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Yes, but I think you are missing the point. She wants iPhone 5 when it comes out, not next year.

exactly.. buy iphone 4 now ($200+tax) and sell it once iphone 5 comes out (net $200 to get iphone 5 after selling iphone 4). point is she would still be paying $200+tax if she wanted for iphone 5

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
exactly.. buy iphone 4 now ($200+tax) and sell it once iphone 5 comes out (net $200 to get iphone 5 after selling iphone 4). point is she would still be paying $200+tax if she wanted for iphone 5

You're not very good at math, are you? The Verizon contract is 2 years, so she can't just buy the iPhone 4 now, then buy the iPhone 5 when it comes out at contract price. I have no idea where you get the idea that buying the iPhone 4 now will let her upgrade earlier next time. So that leaves the following options:

Buy iPhone 4 now: $200 (contract price)
Sell iPhone 4 later: -$450 (estimated)
Buy iPhone 5 later: $650 (retail price)
Total cost: $400

Or...

Buy iPhone 4 now: $650 (retail price)
Sell iPhone 4 later: -$450 (estimated)
Buy iPhone 5 later: $200 (contract price)
Total cost: $400

Or...

Buy iPhone 4 later: $200 (contract price)
Total cost: $200

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.