How do I set my 4S to "no ringtone"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applefan289, Oct 22, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Under "sounds" in Settings, I set all the notifications to not make a noise, but instead vibrate. I want it to be this way for when I get a phone call as well.

But when you select ringing tone, there is no option for "none".

How would I set my ringer as just "vibrate" just like all the other notifications?

2. Skika macrumors 68030

Make an custom ringtone with 30s of silence.

You could also took a song from you iTunes library limit it to 30 seconds volume adjust to -100% export to AAC move to desktop rename m4a to m4r and import back in iTunes.

3. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

You've gotta be kidding me! Even on my flip phone there was an option to set it to just vibrate. But I'll look into that iTunes thing for my ringtone.

4. mrochester macrumors 65816

I may be missing something very obvious here, but can't you just switch the silent switch to silent and achieve the exact same thing?

5. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I've had my first iPhone, a 4S, for a little over a week. I am impressed by its quality of screen display if not the size of the screen and its smoothness of operation, but...compared to a top of the line Android phone or even, as you point out, a flip phone, it is sorely lacking in many areas of utility and abundant in areas that have little appeal for me.

6. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Good idea, I just thought there would be a setting for vibration only.

7. mrochester macrumors 65816

In options, make sure that when in silent mode, vibrate is switched on, then flip the switch. Simples!

8. j4zb4 macrumors 6502a

j4zb4

Just flip the mute switch above the volume buttons... No ringtones... Only vibrate... :s

9. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Also, any way to not have the number keypad on the phone make those noises?

10. UneElle macrumors member

Settings > Sounds > Keyboard Clicks > "OFF"

11. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Did that, but when I go to make a call and press the numbers it makes the phone dial sound.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

Slide the mute switch to mute...

13. dickdaney macrumors regular

Dude just flip the mute switch. No alert sounds, no keyboard sounds, no anything.

14. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah but I want other things to sound like videos and such...

15. PJ. macrumors regular

I have my phone set to silent then when on say, the YouTube app you slide the volume up, this is just for the video and the ring is still silent.

PJ

16. saldawop macrumors regular

Flip the switch and see how it affects video and music. I just tried it. Took me 30 seconds.

17. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Yes

18. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the responses.

Also, when you're talking to someone on speaker do the volume buttons have any bearing on the call? The reason I'm asking is because there seems to be different volume controls for everything - one for notifications, one for "general" volume, like music, apps, etc.

19. mrochester macrumors 65816

Volumes are independent of one another and context specific. When you are on a call the volume buttons will change the in call volume, but as soon as the call is over and you're back on the home screen, the volume buttons will control ringer volume. Start the MP3 player and the volume buttons will control the music volume, plug in a pair of headphones and the volume control is different again! This allows you to set different volume levels for each specific task rather than just having one master volume control.

20. fastfinger macrumors member

Two things I miss from my Blackberry, the ability to easily assign a silent ringtone to certain people and the ability to have the phone go silent automatically during set times, like between 10pm-7am at night or during weekly meetings.

21. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

Is there anyway to set "notification" sounds at a different (lower) level than the ringtone level?

22. mrochester macrumors 65816

No, the ringer and alert volume are one and the same.

23. jdpruitt Suspended

-------Everyone above this line just got trolled---------------

Everyone above this line just got trolled

24. aesselstein macrumors newbie

my users are jumping

back to android because of this. never realized it was such a big deal till i switched back to iphone when my android phone broke.

i just wanted to set different notifications per account...but i literally have had 5 people return 4S to go back to original moto droid for this.

was there ever a jailbreak solution? i've sent a few custom ringtones but thats really lame... :(

25. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

In silent mode...

Anything you *force* to make sound such as starting a video, or playing music will play.

Anything that you don't expect will be silenced, such as ringers, or most apps (unless you tell the app to make sound, like certain games)