How do I set up my new hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Du273, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Du273 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, my hard drive is toast so I had to buy a new one. Quick question though, how do I load High Sierra onto the new hard drive? My old HD was backed up to time machine on my external HD. There is another Mac in the house I can use to download stuff onto my external. Thanks for the help!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Install the new drive then attach the Time Machine backup and hold the option key when you boot. Then select the TM disk to boot from. You will see a recovery screen. From there use Disk Utility to format the new drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then quit Disk Utility and click restore and sit back and wait for it to finish.

Once the restore is done, shutdown disconnect the TM disk. Then restart and go to System Prefs / Startup Disk and pick the new drive as the boot drive.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

You might want to get a USB to SATA cable to install High Sierra on the new drive before you install it…depending on how difficult it will be for you to take it back out if something doesn’t seem to be working properly.