Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Okay. I'm having a big problem. My whole family uses macs, except for my older brother. He had a PC custom built for himself, for $600, and it's about as powerfull as my $1600 (at the time of purchase) G4 Tower.

To the point. He thinks PC's are better than macs. He thinks they can do everything mac's can, and he thinks that Windows XP can do everything Mac OS X can do, just in different ways. He says that Windows XP and Mac OS X each have a few things that the other cannot do, and overall, they are about equal operating systems.

He says the PC can do everything he needs, and that macs are too expensive. I can't think of anything to tell him. I just know macs are infinetaly superior to PC's. How do I get it through to him? How do I show him something on my mac that will make him realise how much better they are?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Don't. Just let him make his own decisions. I'd hate someone trying to convince me that decision I have made is the wrong one - it's my decision, let me deal with it.

Yeah, the evangelism must stop. It's time to stop the conversions and let people come over on their own. Just keep using your machine, say nothing.

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
macgeek2005 said:
He says the PC can do everything he needs, and that macs are too expensive. I can't think of anything to tell him. I just know macs are infinetaly superior to PC's. How do I get it through to him? How do I show him something on my mac that will make him realise how much better they are?

A PC can do anything a Mac can....and now and with the upcoming Macs, a Mac can do pretty much anything a PC can do, minus some software here and there.

A Mac isn't for everyone. Best bang for the buck outside of software still lies in the PC market.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Like Chundles said, you don't.

All you will do is antagonise him. Don't worry about it. Use your Mac and enjoy it along with the rest of the enlightened members of your family. It may be that if he uses them occasionally, he becomes more enamoured with them. Or it might be if you produce fun stuff with iLife, he becomes more impressed.

They can both do similar things. It's a question of usability where I think the Macs are stronger but if you're an expert Windows user, then it might be that you are just as quick using Windows. I know I had to 'unlearn' Windows behaviour when I first got my OS X Mac but you have to be prepared and willing to do that.

My biggest reason for convincing family to get Macs is that since they're not particularly tech-aware and don't understand the dangers of malware, using Windows was a problem since they just ignored updates :rolleyes: if it wasn't convenient. That probably doesn't apply to your brother.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Perhaps the question you should ask is why you need to convince him Macs are better. Unless you are having connection problems or Apple are giving you commission on sales, I don't see how it matters what he uses. Apart from the above-mentioned evangelistic reasons, that is.

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
I got a load of grief recently from somebody I persuaded to buy a Mac. He called me to say this interactive CD to help pass the Driving Theory Test would not run and blamed me for it:eek:

Basically leave well alone.

Show the benefits but dont preach about it.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I honestly don't think anyone is going to lay down, at the very least, nearly $1000 for a new computer, simply because icons disappear in a puff of smoke, windows slide here and there, and get "sucked" down into the dock.

Macs appeal to different personalities, and are not for everyone.

If someone really wants a Mac, they will get one.

If they don't, they won't, and shouldn't.

The Mac vs PC debate is more similar to a "Pants before socks, or vice versa" debate.

Everyone has their own style.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Applespider said:
Like Chundles said, you don't.

All you will do is antagonise him. Don't worry about it. Use your Mac and enjoy it along with the rest of the enlightened members of your family. It may be that if he uses them occasionally, he becomes more enamoured with them. Or it might be if you produce fun stuff with iLife, he becomes more impressed.

Ask him to try to make dvd on that PC if it has dvd burner+software.. once he mad of trying to make/burn a dvd then show him the quick way to burn a dvd if you got SD and iDVD..:D :eek: :cool:

jeshepard

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
Friends vs Parents

I have this argument with my roommate all the time, and it basically goes...]

"You're Compaq is big, ugly, and windows sucks."

to which he replies

"You're Apple is way too expesive and doesn't do anything mine doesn't."

There is never anyway to convince either of us, but it's fun to argue. The only person that I've ever convinced is my Dad. I bought my parents and iMac G5 for their 25th wedding aniversary last year. When I would come home from college they used to have laundry lists of what was wrong with his PC before (a Dell), but now he never has any problems and if he does he's able to fix them himself. Now I know my dad would never have spent the money on one himself, but now that he's used one I'm hoping he won't go back.

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
iphil said:
Ask him to try to make dvd on that PC if it has dvd burner+software.. once he mad of trying to make/burn a dvd then show him the quick way to burn a dvd if you got SD and iDVD..:D :eek: :cool:

Que?

What's wrong with Nero? :confused:

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Josh said:
I honestly don't think anyone is going to lay down, at the very least, nearly $1000 for a new computer, simply because icons disappear in a puff of smoke, windows slide here and there, and get "sucked" down into the dock.

Macs appeal to different personalities, and are not for everyone.

If someone really wants a Mac, they will get one.

If they don't, they won't, and shouldn't.

The Mac vs PC debate is more similar to a "Pants before socks, or vice versa" debate.

Everyone has their own style.

Josh i was the same way before.. I thought PC could do everything that i wanted it to do but 3 years ago that changed :eek: :eek:

that was the time that my brother burned a DVD for our father for father's day and ever since then i've been bitten by the Apple bug :D

So last year i wanted a dvd burner for the xp box and got it,Got Confused/Mad:mad: :mad:

Then I saw the light after that ;)

stoid

macrumors 601
Might I suggest the "Mallet O' Understanding"?

:D

comic2.jpg

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
iphil said:
Josh i was the same way before.. I thought PC could do everything that i wanted it to do but 3 years ago that changed :eek: :eek:

that was the time that my brother burned a DVD for our father for father's day and ever since then i've been bitten by the Apple bug :D

So last year i wanted a dvd burner for the xp box and got it,Got Confused/Mad:mad: :mad:

Then I saw the light after that ;)

I'll admit, iMovie+iDVD is pretty cool.

But you can do those things on a PC too. Granted, the software usually doesn't come on most PC's (PC's, done the right way, or left for the user to configure how they want - no default installation will be what everyone wants).

I remember when I won a trip to LA for Pepsi's Play for a Billion game. One night at a party they had, I was roaming around and discovered the room where guys were capturing all the video from the party and making slide shows and music videos out of them, later used in advertisements and things.

Out of all of the computers in the room, not one was a Mac.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
As a Windows user married to a mac user, I agree with Chundles. You can ask the hubby, nbs2, about my reaction whenever he talks about chucking my PC laptop and getting a new MacBook to replace it. Annoyed and aggravated is the phrase that I think best describes it.

You have to let the people come over when they're ready. I have every intention of making my next laptop a Mac, but I'm just not ready to give up the PC yet. Mostly because I want to somehow make up for that feeling somehow of wasted my money on a PC. I may have problems with my PC, but I'm not going to throw it out right away after spending $1.5K on it. That would just hurt too much.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Apple - "Tastes Great!"
Windows - "Less Filling!"
:D

The deep, dark secret here is that Macs and PCs *can* do many of the same things, each with their strengths and weaknesses, which leaves the decisions down to individual style, OS security and hardware price. I wouldn't turn down a cheap laptop just because it's a PC, but I can't tolerate security flaws and crashes endemic to Windows on my desktop.

I used to prosletyze (sp?) Macs much more than I now do - although I absolutely insist our nonprofit operate on a Mac platform, this is mainly for ease of administration. There's always going to be folks in the PC camp (my partner included) who are happy to stay there, and won't be swayed by either "The Truth" or "the truth" about Macs. I've heard folks give reasons for staying with PCs that run the gamut from "I hate the OS X GUI" to "gaming is more important" to "I can't afford it even though I like it." There's bits of truth to all of these arguments, so it really boils down to what's most important for the individual user.

Wait until the next major Windows virus outbreak and the rest of your family is surfing the 'Net fine and dandy while your brother's PC is hosed. ;)

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
macgeek2005 said:

Don't bother! Who really cares what he thinks? Don't be one of those people who constantly asks their co-workers and strangers at the supermarket, "have you accepted christ into your life?" Evangelism is bogus -- if you have something better than what everybody else has, then live your life better. People will notice and ask questions, so give them straightforward answers. Its not your duty in life to convert the masses, though.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
FoxyKaye said:
Wait until the next major Windows virus outbreak and the rest of your family is surfing the 'Net fine and dandy while your brother's PC is hosed. ;)

I dont think that is going to happen. Based on how he speaks about his brother his brother is an above average Windows user who keeps their computer to upto date. All the major worms that have hit the net are using secuirty holes M$ patch 6+ months before hand.
the ones writing the stuff goes though the read mes on what was patch. Then they figure out how to export an unpatch system.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Airforce said:
Que?

What's wrong with Nero? :confused:

I'm not saying that nero is bad or anything but I can understand on Using Windows apps but burning dvd in XP is MADD i say !!:mad:

I tried to burn 2 separate dvds @ different times of course and the result i got was :mad: :confused: :mad: :confused:

Josh said:
I'll admit, iMovie+iDVD is pretty cool.

But you can do those things on a PC too. Granted, the software usually doesn't come on most PC's (PC's, done the right way, or left for the user to configure how they want - no default installation will be what everyone wants).

I remember when I won a trip to LA for Pepsi's Play for a Billion game. One night at a party they had, I was roaming around and discovered the room where guys were capturing all the video from the party and making slide shows and music videos out of them, later used in advertisements and things.

Out of all of the computers in the room, not one was a Mac.

They must have PHDs in xp dvd burning .. Because i never could understand why windows' dvd burning software companies make it so hard to burn,while apple has it down to a simple process to burn dvd.. :confused: :confused: :eek:

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
iphil said:
They must have PHDs in xp dvd burning .. Because i never could understand why windows' dvd burning software companies make it so hard to burn,while apple has it down to a simple process to burn dvd.. :confused: :confused: :eek:

Not sure why you would need a PHD....

All you do is go to Nero, select the type of DVD you want to make, load up your files, then click burn....

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Airforce said:
Not sure why you would need a PHD....

All you do is go to Nero, select the type of DVD you want to make, load up your files, then click burn....

Ok. what if you wanna make a photo slideshow with music and your music is all iTunes format, Nero won't burn a dvd of photo slide show with iTunes music .. Thats what i was trying to do, once i got my dvd burner in xp ..:mad: :p :mad:

Nero will burn music photo slide show but in WMP format but i already had over a Gig of music from iTunes of Course and my own CDs.. i didn't wanna have to re-rip my music to use it with nero ..:mad: :mad:

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
I don't think you can show him that Macs are superior. I prefer them, but I don't know if they're superior for everyone. Also, I agree with your brother. I can do the same things on my Mac that I can do on my PC (minus expose). It's just a matter of choice at this point, XP is at the point where it's stable for everyday use, and I'm looking forward to Vista. But, I'll ALWAYS use an apple laptop.

MP

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
savar said:
Don't bother! Who really cares what he thinks? Don't be one of those people who constantly asks their co-workers and strangers at the supermarket, "have you accepted christ into your life?" Evangelism is bogus -- if you have something better than what everybody else has, then live your life better. People will notice and ask questions, so give them straightforward answers. Its not your duty in life to convert the masses, though.

*shudders* Those people scare me. I was at the county fair last summer, there was a 'Come to Jesus' booth, i was looking at their display for laughs and giggles, and all of a sudden there's an old lady asking me to go sit with her to talk about God. I tried to refuse, but I didn't see the harm. Soon she's going on about how I need to be saved and yada yada yada. Suddenly, she praying that I will accept Jesus as my personal lord and savior, yada yada yada. Then I got a booklet telling me how I need to go to church(been there), get baptized(done that), and all this other stuff. Then, she hands me a certificate that said that i was brought to Jesus by her(so much for a lifetime of church-going). And apparantly they do that to everyone that happens to look at that booth.

You definetly don't wanna be that kind of person, only with Macs and not Jesus. Then all you will do is tick me off.:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.