Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
Does anyone know a way to make notifications silent but not anything else?

I have my phone on silent 100% of the time, I wouldn't even know what the ring/message tones sound like so I certainly don't want my watch making alert noises at anytime, ever.

That said, I'm sad to not have sounds when I interact with it, such as starting a workout or playing a game etc.

I can't seem to find a combination of settings to stop the notification sounds but allow app sounds. Anyone know how to do it? Seems like a fairly obvious thing to want.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Does anyone know a way to make notifications silent but not anything else?

I have my phone on silent 100% of the time, I wouldn't even know what the ring/message tones sound like so I certainly don't want my watch making alert noises at anytime, ever.

That said, I'm sad to not have sounds when I interact with it, such as starting a workout or playing a game etc.

I can't seem to find a combination of settings to stop the notification sounds but allow app sounds. Anyone know how to do it? Seems like a fairly obvious thing to want.
On the Watch app on the iPhone, go in to each individual notification setting -- switch it to Custom (instead of Mirror iPhone) and toggle the sound off.

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
Yeah, this took me some time to figure out as well. If you want to be tapped on the wrist, the notification has to have sound on the iPhone. Luckily, if the notification hits the watch and taps you, the sound doesn't happen on the phone.

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
On the Watch app on the iPhone, go in to each individual notification setting -- switch it to Custom (instead of Mirror iPhone) and toggle the sound off.

Agh! It was so nearly perfect. Works well except for emails. For some reason there is no option to turn off alert sound for these, just off completely which would be silly. So frustrating, seems like such an obvious thing.

GrimmsGirl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
Agh! It was so nearly perfect. Works well except for emails. For some reason there is no option to turn off alert sound for these, just off completely which would be silly. So frustrating, seems like such an obvious thing.

Did you look under Notifications->Mail->Custom (checked). Now under each email account you should have the option to turn off sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.