How do I turn off "wrist raise" automatically at night?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Drecca, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Drecca macrumors regular

I sleep with my watch on. I have a good amount of battery left when I get home, so it's no problem.

But it's becoming a tad annoying to have to go into settings to disable wrist raise, and then remember to enable it when waking up.

Is there any way to schedule to turn this function on/off?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not that I know of. One possiblity I can think of is to make a modular watch face with everything turned off except for time, and pick one of the darker colors. Then, if you switch to this face when you go to bed, it shouldn't bother you too much when it lights up, and hopefully doesn't drain too much battery, either.

3. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

On your iPhone :apple: Watch app go to "General" then to "Wrist Detection" and turn it off.

I believe this will do what you want.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I believe OP wanted a faster way to turn that on and off. Diving into settings get tiring if you have to do it twice every day.

5. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Reminds me of the classic, "Doc! My arm hurts when I raise it like this!"

"Well then don't raise it like that!"

Just take off the watch before going to sleep, that would fix the issue. :)

6. Alith macrumors 6502

The taptic alarm is one of the watch's best functions! It's woken me up almost every day since launch.

The watch lighting up doesn't bother me, I'm always fast asleep in seconds so it doesn't have a chance to. I can see how it would bother some people though.

7. BlueMoon63, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015

BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Well, if you turn it off at night as the last thing you do, double tap the crown in the morning and it goes right back to the same spot to turn back on. That's what I do... maybe they will allow us to program the crown for three taps to do anything we want or the favorites button to do more because I don't use the favorites.

I wear the watch to bed every night for the silent alarm feature and it works perfectly. Now, there is a sleep tracking app for the watch that does more than just track your hours of sleep as it uses the heart rate monitor. If you have a spouse, they are very happy with the silent alarm if they don't have to get up with you.

8. PN4 macrumors member

What sleep app do you use?

9. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Sleep Pulse. Check it out... It costs $3.99 though but it has some great features.

10. Kahalu'u Bob macrumors 6502a

Kahalu'u Bob

Thanks for he Sleep Pulse suggestion. I'm going to give it a try.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The OP is wanting it to do it "automatically" which I am pretty sure is not going to happen.

12. Alith macrumors 6502

They could add it to 'Do Not Disturb' function pretty easily.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

"They" could do a lot of things:cool:

14. jschu22 macrumors regular

Unfortunately DND doesn't change the screen behavior.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Android Wear watchfaces often have an automatic night mode with a much dimmer nighttime face, usually a customizable color like gray, green or red.

Perhaps when WatchOS gets faces, developers can do the same.

16. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

I agree, everytime I go to the movies I wish this was a feature. Maybe they should have a 'theatre mode' of some sort. Probably just wishful thinking tho.

17. Hurley9192 macrumors newbie

Just put on theater mode before you go to sleep. There is no way to automatically do it.

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Newbies and there ability to find and resurrect old and outdated threads has always mystified. :D

19. Hurley9192 macrumors newbie

Considering that I was wondering the same thing and this was the top rated response link on google, I thought it would be helpful to give a relevant answer as no one else seemed to give one. It's not like I scrolled down 10 pages and then posted something that no one else will see.

20. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I'll be the first to say "Thank You" to the newbie for finding this unanswered question and finding a solution nobody else ever posted. Nothing wrong with answering a question regardless of how old it is.

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Nobody posted that answer because back when this thread was originally active, theater mode didn't exist yet.

22. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Probably because this is common knowledge now with wOS3 and freely posted on the Apple wOS site.:eek::D This thread FAR predates Theater Mode.
    Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 6.51.01 PM.png
    https://www.apple.com/watchos/

23. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Exactly, now that there is a solution someone needed to update the post for the next person who does a search and comes across it;)

24. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

This is why regular web forums suck. The best answer, which is also the most up-to-date answer, is now way down in the 17th post and can easily be missed if someone else skims through the thread.

Anyway, to add on: Now that we have Theater Mode (good idea for a name, supertomtom), before going to bed I swipe to a red-only Modular face, turn Theater Mode "on", and turn Mute "off" so that the alarm rings in the morning.

25. andrewface macrumors 6502

andrewface