How do reminders work?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by MrMacBookPro, Oct 21, 2012.

1. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

can someone explain or link me on how Reminders work.. I set a time hoping for a Alert and nothing happens. What am i doing wrong?

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

So you're adding a time stamp to them? Like this? And none of them work?

Attached Files:

3. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

Better question to ask would be, what's the difference in setting a reminder on the reminders app versus setting up a reminder on the calendar app?

If i have to "wash the dishes on October 24th @ 7pm", i would just put that on my calendar and set it to remind me.

Other than the geo-fencing (which is pretty shady at best when working) the 2 apps are redundant IMO.

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I love the geo-fencing and use it regularly. I've never once had an issue with it. It reminds me when I tell it to. Whether leaving or arriving.

5. Appleseeds macrumors regular

Ditto. Use it all the time.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It depends on what you use it for. If I use iCal and make an event like "change A/C filter on Monday @ 7PM?... and I never get around to changing the filter... the "task" is gone from view and off my radar so to speak. If I set it up as a task in Reminders, the items will still be there as a due item for me to see on Saturday when I get around to changing the A/C filter.

If you only occasionally have tasks like this, I could see just using an event in iCal. I just find Reminders easier to keep track and organize things.

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I used to enjoy the Geo Fencing features... until Apple's Maps decided I (and everyone around me) moved into the middle of nowhere.

Otherwise, I use reminders for tasks that don't have to be done at a specific time, but I don't want to forget about, and shopping lists.

8. MrMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 6502

yes... I got to be doing something wrong. The "Alert" notification should pop up correct?

9. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

I love the geo fencing, it works great for where I work, but unfortunately my address is not well known on any mapping service (not just iOS) so I only get reminders for arriving/leaving home if I go one direction out of my house (the way I almost never go!) and go down the road for a few hundred metres! pain!

Anyone know if I can add a pin on maps and use that as my home location??

10. ericdubya macrumors newbie

When the 4S first came out I tried some of the geo-fencing reminders and they failed a few times. I haven't tried it for a year, this thread has reminded me that I should give it another go.

A project for this week I suppose.

11. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Yes, it should be. Mine pops for when the reminder is set to remind me. Are notifications on for Reminders?

12. MrMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 6502

Notifications are on but is location supposed to be "on"... I didn't think reminders needed to know your location?

still no alert.... Notifications on, Location on, remind at location on, still nothing...

looks like i'll use the Calender

13. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

That's pretty strange. If it's a must, you can always try to restore it as new to see if it works. Of course run an iCloud or iTunes backup first so you can restore it if you'd like.

14. MrMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 6502

not a big deal really.. I guess i'll just calender and get reminders that way...

I'm not sure why it isn't working...

15. MrMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 6502

i got reminders to work.. I was checking the box in "Today" but all that did was tell the reminder it was already completed thats why i didn't get the Alert...

16. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    While we're on this subject, is there any way to delete completed reminders? I've done a search of the forums, but so far haven't found a way to do a mass delete while keeping my current reminders.

Thanks.

17. MrMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 6502

should be able to to.. its either under "edit" or click the little area in "Today" and delete is at the bottom

18. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Once completed, I click the little box, they get checked off, and disappear from the list and go to the 'Completed' list. I suppose, for me, it's 'out of sight, out of mind' since I don't feel the need to delete them once they've been moved... and, memory being what it is, I occasionally am glad it's there and checked off so I know I actually did it.

19. Avatarshark macrumors regular

I see this way, Calendar is for something that is planned in advanced, few days to a few weeks, even months. Reminders is for short-term, a few days max, just to give your memory a jog, great for the daily stuff though. That is too cumbersome to do in a Calendar, like putting the thermostat down when you leave the house.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

When we first got an iPad, I used my Apple Account for it although technically it was my wife's. Now I have my own iPad and established a separate Apple account for my wife. She is telling me that my reminders are appearing on her iPad. Can anyone tell me what controls this and where? I know it is possible to share reminders, but I have not intentionally set them up. Thanks!

21. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

Go to Settings->iCloud

At the top will be the account that is used for all the apps below which you can turn on and off individually. You can delete the account from the phone at the bottom. It does not delete the entire account. You will lose any iCloud data unless you save it to the phone first.

22. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Good thing you didn't have any suspicious-sounding reminders! :eek:

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks! My Apple ID was still listed for her iCloud. :rolleyes:

Girlfriend reminders committed to memory! :p