how do the iPhone data plans work on Family Plans?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chriskzoo, Jun 2, 2010.

1. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

I have given my old (2G) iPhone to my wife a long time ago and have just been using my work phone. I was poking through adding another line and saw that the options for the voice plan had a 550 minutes a month (plus nights and weekends I think for $60) family plan, but then the data just showed the $30 a month unlimited (which we currently have on her phone) and then $5 a month for 200 text messages.

So can anyone with a Family Plan speak to how the data is used - do you have to have to pay for a data plan on each phone, or can you pick one data plan and then share it? My wife literally uses 10MB a month on her data so when the new plans go into effect we could share the 200MB a month for $15 plan if we can and I could grab a refurb 3GS if I can or see what the new iPhone offers.

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

A data plan would be required on each line. I speak from experience when me and my ex was together and I was paying for data on 2 of my 5 lines.

3. chriskzoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, OK so you don't share the data plan. I guess with the new data plans we would be good with the $15 plan each, $30 total which is what we are paying now for unlimited data + 200 text, but then we'd have to spring for $5 on each phoen for text messaging. So at the very least we're talking:

$60 for 550 minutes + nights and weekends shared (which is fine for us)
    $30 for the two $15 data plans
    $10 for the two $5 text plans
    -----
    $100 a month

Hmm, with that in mind, I think we'll just drop her to the $15 data plan, which I assume means we have to pickup the $5 text plan, as you can no longer couple them like on the 2G and save $10 a month. Right now we're paying like $58 after taxes for the data/text plan and Senior Nation 200 which they offerred us and is enough for my wife.

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

That's exactly how it will pan out. You can also just add the $30 for unlimited family text as well, but that's only if you text alot.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

The system is sort of complicated ...

You pay the Family Base Price for the Minute Plan ... and that covers two phones. Any additional phone (#3, #4, ect.) is 9.99 in addition to the Base Price (unless you choose the unlimited plan, then its 49.99 per additional line).

Each phone has it's own data plan ($30, $25 or $15, effective June 7).

Then you can choose other options such as texting, ect.

Hopefully that clears up some confusion.

6. chriskzoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Yup, I got it. I was hoping to be on the iPhone bandwagon again and thought we might be able to do it for an extra $15 a month or so, but it looks like it will be an extra $50 a month. I'll just have to stick to my work Blackberry and get all my Apple app love through the iPad.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

A much effective answer can be had by calling AT&T. I think your issue is too specific for us to answer, we can take a guess and it might be right.

My guess is, you are charged per smartphone line a data plan and not one big data plan for all.

8. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

No disrespect, but his question was pretty simple ... and answered more quickly than AT&T probably would have responded lol.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Probably so, but many things that look simple tend to be a big thing at AT&T... or at least they make a big deal out of it.

10. mshoo1 macrumors newbie

Any information on how tethering will work for family plans? Is it $20 for each iPhone on the family plan?