How do they check if you are student?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iOrlando, Jul 23, 2008.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

Ordering macbook from online...what sorts of checks do they have to see if you are in fact a student/educator?

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Apparently if you just order online, they have random audits.

For in person checks, student ids, .edu mail addresses, acceptance letters, etc. have all been acceptable methods of id.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. Pau! macrumors newbie

When i bought mine they asked for my drivers license but i don't think that was to confirm the student discount.

5. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Please DON'T abuse the system!

Those of us who actually ARE students (like me) do not want Apple canceling the student discount because fake people abuse it! Macs are expensive and overpriced enough! I can't afford paying even more on my next Mac.

6. EmptyCalm macrumors member

they asked nothing from me when i got it online...im a student anyway so i wasn't worried..

7. Zimpaz macrumors regular

ive just graduated, but i think im gonna try and still get student discount when they eventually update the macbooks!

Whats the worst that can happen? they find me out and i pay full price

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If that is how you feel, either don't buy them or don't complain.

9. jokun macrumors member

Actually, I was curious about that too. I'm a year into my degree already without a laptop and figured since my classes were just going to get more difficult from here that'd I'd be better off with a laptop so I can work anywhere.

Nice to know I'm not going to have to jump through any hoops to get the discount. I did expect it to be a little more involved, though.

10. Mjmar macrumors 65816

At Best Buy the lady looked at my sisters college ID for about 2 seconds and was like "okay, good enough for me"... Then I got 10% off of my new MacBook. :)

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I second the "not abusing the system" comment!!!! If you are a legitimate educator or student- go ahead an enjoy the discount. If not, then don't try to get the discount.

I enjoy when companies work on somewhat of an honor system with things such as this. However, we are seeing more and more hard and fast policies at retailers (brick and mortar and online) that make sure people don't abuse policies. There are so many companies that have had to get rid of these types of privilege programs (various discount programs, open return policies, etc.) due to abuse.

Don't be one of the ones that says things like "they are a big company- they can affford it!" or "no one will ever know if I lie and take a discount." What I teach my elementary students is "what if everyone did it?" Apply the "what if everyone did it" theory to this situation and the educators and students probably would no longer get the much needed discount.

12. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

It's there for a reason

Strongly second this. Although I'm a manager at a private company, one of my other hats is professor at a mid-size university. I use the academic discount because my company is psychotically anti-Mac (other managers get PCs bought for them) and a huge part of my PB's workload is prepping for and teaching my university classes. But the discount is relatively meager in Japan, and I'd give it up if necessary to preserve it for my students, who mostly work part-time jobs while studying.

Quite a few years ago while driving across Oregon I picked up a recent MA graduate in psychology from Univ of Arizona. He gave me an eloquent speech about how he had no intention of repaying his student loans until "society lived up to its end of the bargain" by awarding this lad a high-paying prestigious position, which he was confident he deserved. After dropping him off, his attitude left a very bad taste (also, he vigorously picked his nose and dropped the excavation yield on the floor of my Volvo).:mad:

Anyway, an honor system can only survive if its spirit is appreciated.

13. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

No, that's not the worst thing that can happen. The worst thing is that you get away with it and have to live with the knowledge that you benefitted by "gaming the system," aka deception. Not saying that I've always walked the straight-n-narrow myself, but these things do stick with you...

14. aosman macrumors 6502

I guess the worst thing that can happen is being part of the group of people that might push apple to change their educational discount policies...

15. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Uh, NO. I want to buy Macs that are not overpriced. If no one says they ARE overpriced, why should Apple do anything about it?

16. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I don't know if this is jsut USA citizens getting a free ride, but in Canada, when you order online as a student you use the separate "Education Store" and you have to sign in with your student number. Same for staff.

17. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

In the US you do log into an Education Store, but there are no log ins required.

However, Apple reserves the right to audit all purchases and will charge you the discount difference it turns out you weren't a student.

18. Scathach macrumors newbie

They have always asked me to show a student ID or an acceptance letter. I find it disgusting that people would abuse the system, I would hate for Apple to cancel their student discount because of dishonest individuals.

19. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

If you Apple ID is linked to a .edu address you shouldn't have a problem. If its anything else then they may ask you to email / fax in some sort of proof.

20. tdevers macrumors regular

I used the Education discount for my MacBook and my parents iMac without incident. I'm a college student and my mom is an elementary school teacher. So no worries anyways.

I honestly find this a great incentive to buy Apple.

21. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

did you buy online or at a store? a store i would understand. .

i signed up with an apple ID last year to gain access to the itunes store. i just ordered a macbook online, and got the student discount. my email is my "professional" email and not my student email. . i managed to get it without problems (so far). and i would hate to see apple cancel the student discount as well! it saved me money and drove me more to buy a mac!

22. halcyo macrumors newbie

You guys are so...... honest........ I think I'm impressed. I don't see it much anymore, and I'm not always myself, but it's rare nowadays!

The rumor is that Apple is gonna drop the prices on their new models soon, so do we really not think that apple was charging a bit of a premium just because they could? How much of the cost for Apple is entirely 'honest'?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing. But how many people get a student that they know to buy the thing FOR them, just to get the discount. I don't think Apple is that concerned about it. They don't discount it as a FAVOR to students, it's marketing for christ's sake! It is more like a 'coupon' or a PROMOTION than anything else. It's not them just being 'generous', it's to get you in the door to buy one! They would probably rather you illegitimately take the student discount and buy an apple product than buy another companies computer, trust me!

halcyo

23. danimal99 macrumors regular

You can get the student discounts at Best Buy? My nearest Best Buy is half the distance to the nearest Apple store. Does that include the IPod Touch rebate too? (And how is that handled, do they just give you a rebate coupon to send in?)

I'm needing a laptop for this Fall semester and am debating between a MacBook and something like a Dell. The free Touch is a big incentive right now.

24. illidian macrumors 6502

Best Buy is under no obligation to offer any kind of student discount.

However, it seems that many managers are more concerned about getting a discounted sale than a customer walking out and ordering from Apple.

25. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

To bad it doesnt apply to High School students. However, when I bought my iBook in the AppleStore, the guy could clearly see that I was in Junior High but he still gave me the discount which was nice.