How do you all protect your MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Meltdownblitz, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

I just bought a new 13" MacBook Pro retina. It's my first MacBook although I have had an iPad and iPhone 3-5. Im debating on how i want to use/protect it. How do you all protect your MacBook? Clear skin, case, sleeve, etc..?

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Sleeve - my was purchased used with minor scuffs on it. Which causes me not to freak out about its condition and saved me money on it!

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

4. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I like this slip case / sleeve from Rasfox. I have the one for my rMBP 15" and it fits perfectly. It has nice memory foam style protection and the edges of the computer. Then when you zip the case up, there is fabric protecting the metal so the zippers won't scratch your computer.

It runs generally in the low $20 range which is cheaper than the standard Incase/Incipio sleeves.

Amazon link: http://tinyurl.com/bbf6jqj

5. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I own an iMac for 6 years but the 15" rMBP is my first MBP as well. I'm always pretty worried about it's condition and I'm very careful with it.. After all, I spent €2.5k on it and I want it to be as good as possible for some years. I always keep it on a Incase retina ready sleeve and then put it on a Jeep backpack that has a special container for laptops. It fits perfectly. I'm thinking about buying the Moshi keyboard and palm protector as well but haven't decided about that yet.
    Also, I clean it regularly with a cleaning kit for LCDs I got off of a electronics store.

6. kensic macrumors 6502

hardshell case, keyboard protector, palm and pad protector.

sleeve only helps when you're transporting it. scratches and dings come from when poeple are handling/using it.

7. ninja2000 macrumors 6502

I use an icarbons skin (as I love the look and feel and didn't want to put a bulku hard case on a sleek laptop) and put it in an incase sleeve

8. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

I shove it in a colcasac sleeve before I put it in my backpack or messenger bag.

9. DayVe3000 macrumors member

I've bought a hard plastic 'speck' shell - Would recommend to anyone!

Fits perfect without increasing the profile of the machine too much. Will prevent the top scratches and edge bumps you see on many of the second hand MBP's for sale.

If I have to travel, The MBP goes into a neoprene laptop sleeve and then into the laptop compartment of my Jansport backpack.

Touch wood - its still in perfect condition.

10. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Book arc when home. Puma sleeve when in transport. No skins or cases to change looks or change ability to radiate heat.

Never eat or drink when near it :eek:

11. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I would recommend getting an elevator stand, an external keyboard, and a USB mouse.

The elevator stand helps to keep it level with your eyes, which decreases neck pain/discomfort. Furthermore, it helps to protect from spills (as it will be lifted off of the surface).

An external keyboard and mouse will decrease the amount of wear-and-tear on your MBPs keyboard and trackpad, keeping them in better condition, for longer.

You can also buy a keyboard sleeve/protector for fairly cheaply ($7-$30), depending on which brand you decide to go with.

Although I don't like the look of speck cases (even clear ones), that's probably another great way to protect it from scratches and dents.

I believe the most important way to protect your MBP is with common sense, which isn't actually that common. Don't eat or drink over your MBP, and in fact, don't eat when using it at all. Crumbs, oils, or ingredients in general, will slowly transfer from your fingers to your device. Don't carry it with only one hand, always use two. Don't do "stupid" things with it either. For example, when I drink coffee I a) NEVER drink it over my computer, I always turn my head/chair to take a sip, and b) I always plant my coffee a significant difference away from my device, so that in the case of dropping, tipping, or spilling it, there's a very unlikely chance it will reach and/or splash onto my MBP.

12. Haifisch macrumors regular

+1. I'm babying mine like crazy.

13. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Indeed, I can say the same. I take every precaution necessary :p

14. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

My biggest thing is using two hands when carrying the thing. My heart would sink so much if it slipped out of my grasp!

15. saporiti macrumors regular

I just use a Targus sleeve. Although it has a speciall caracteristic: It has a zipper, and when open, I can use my MBP inside, covering the down and up part.

For me it's enough, I strongly think that hard-cases can damage your laptop.

16. Bambooisland macrumors newbie

Using Moshi iGlaze pro but it is the 15 inch version. I am not sure if there is also a version for the 13 inch. But i am very satisfied with it.

17. snaky69 macrumors 603

I don't. Put it in my backpack's laptop sleeve, period.

18. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Nothing. Still looks absolutely fine. Can't be bothered over-protecting it. By the time it's looking tatty in a few years' time it'll probably be laughably underpowered, but then it'll probably be the son's computer for school and a few dings aren't going to affect it!

19. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

My Late 2008 MBP is still in great condition, I have a Timbuk2 Commuter bag and I simply pay attention to where beverages are and potential problems. I picked up it's second replacement battery yesterday and fought the urge to check out the rMBP's on display.

20. kensic macrumors 6502

in which way do you think the hard case will damage the laptop?

i can say in experience. been using 13 mbp with the speck hardcase for 2 years now. No damage what so ever. the aluminum casing is just as new as day 1 when i took it out of the box.

on the other hand, the hardcase has all these scratches on the them...it would have been transferred to the aluminum if it wasn't for the hard case.
    i have had a many occasions where i slightly bang the laptop on hard surfaces. the hardcase saved it from what would have been many little dents on the aluminum.

in your case, seems like doesn't really vent the heat well. from how i understand those sleeves work. it doesn't vent at all.

21. eco7777 macrumors regular

i have very stupid way of protecting it.

While i am in the USA with a wooden floor i never drop it.
    When i am in the caribbean and i have a real floor under my feet i drop it at least once each 6 months, arrrrggghhhh.

I pray while it is going down in a free fall! :D

22. mslide macrumors 6502a

I use nothing other than common sense. I do, however, use an elevated stand while it's docked just incase I spill a drink or something on my desk.

23. kensic macrumors 6502

yea common sense is a good enough reason for protection. but you can't expect other to have the same common sense as you. when things are not theirs they treat it as such.

24. spartacvs macrumors member

Mine only has a sleeve, I want them naked as much as possible. Lol

25. Meltdownblitz thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for all the replies. I ordered an Incase sleeve as well because I had found a deal on one. However I understand the sleeve part, but what happens when you pull it out to use it? It's naked. I was thinking about possibly getting a skin or clear speck case for use with my sleeve.