How do you back up/ manage your pictures?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by chad.petree, Jan 17, 2015.

1. chad.petree, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015

chad.petree macrumors 6502

chad.petree

I don't know how to manage and back up my pictures, I can't use the "send to the my photostream" option or because I like having my old pictures on my phone too, and then I end up having duplicates on my mac because the phone sends to my library the new pictures I take with the camera and the old ones I had, ios 8 apparently is not able to detect that I already have those pictures on my library / and icloud i's nice but I like having my pics on my hard drive plus 5 gb of storage is a joke, what do you guys do to manage your pictures?

:confused:

2. Paul Chown macrumors member

I use 'windows photo gallery' to import them into dropbox folders

Photo gallery doesn't have any stupid database files like iPhoto on my iMac. Photo gallery changes/adds meta data the individual photo and therefore can be accessed and managed from any of my windows devises (something you cant do with iPhoto!)

As for photo stream, it will keep the last 1,000 images on your device... you will need to restore from a iTunes back up when you upgrade to keep them though.

3. Jessica Lares, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015

Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I use Image Capture, and just drag my stuff into a folder, and then use Snapselect to deal with duplicates and narrow it all down as much as I can, and then narrow it down even further with Finder and the Quick View thing. Then I make folders for events in iCloud Drive, and just give names to everything else.

I am totally done with saving 20 different shots of the same thing. I am not doing that anymore. I am sure a lot of people have that problem. Really, just open them all side by side, figure out which one you like best, and throw the others out. It will make your life easier.

4. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

iCloud photos for syncing between devices. Dropbox for backup with a local folder on my Mac. And then I guess the occasional time machine backup on top of that.

Waiting on photos for Mac and might drop Dropbox if it works better.

5. Beelzbub macrumors regular

OneDrive, Microsoft gives you 30 GB of free space. The app backs up pictures and videos perfectly.

6. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

iCloud Photo Library with the 20gb iCloud storage upgrade.

7. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I sync with iPhoto on my Mac. I keep photos on my iPhone for about a year before I delete them off of that. Since iCloud Photo Library was originally a mess, I'm waiting for the Photos app for the Mac before I commit fully. I'll probably have to anyway if they kill iPhoto. I used to also sync to Dropbox, but I figured the duplicates were unnecessary. Hopefully iCloud Photo Library can eventually take care of all of that without duplicates.

Back in the day I used to sync my Canon digital camera to my Mac and organize the photos into folders in Finder by event. I haven't used that camera in years though.

8. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

9. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

10. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

This is great advice for anyone. Using image capture is easier than iPhoto and narrowing down your pictures is need as well. I was one of those who had 10 pictures of the same thing at slightly different distances and angles. Well, once you do that for so long you have 100s of useless photos. It took a while but I picked one or two of each and saved a lot of space.

But I don't know how well storing them in iCloud Drive works with photo editors like Lightroom, but maybe Ms. Lares doesn't use that.

I import my DSLR and iPhone photos into LR. I have one "Library" folder with many subfolders for events. I edit and organize them this way. Occasionally I back up that one "Library" folder to my 1TB of OneDrive as a back up.

The ones I want on my iOS devices I will export (in batches for events) as 3MB JPEGs and import them into a highly controlled iPhoto library. I don't want to use Adobe Creative cloud to sync with LR mobile and the 3MB JPEG compression is fine for showing on an iOS device.

11. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I use Aperture for images.

I have two backups of my system, an additional backup of my photo library, and I back up all of my phone captures and about 80% of my Nikon shots to iCloud with the 20g upgrade.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

- Upload to Dropbox
    - Copy to Macbook HD
    - Copy to external HD I keep in a safe
    - Copy to external HD I keep near the Macbook.
    - Delete from Dropbox
    - Delete from Camera Roll

13. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Once my Camera Roll starts getting too big, I import the photos into Aperture, categorize them a bit, then sync them back to the phone using iTunes. They get a lot smaller because iTunes resizes them for the phone, so I don't have the full size pictures there.

For videos, I occasionally offload them from the phone and into a "Raw digicam videos" folder on my computer that's backed up. Anything that I want to be able to see whenever I want, I upload to YouTube. Typically I want to be able to access videos on my phone to be able to show other people, so the vids are often already on YouTube at that point anyway.

My Mac backs up using time machine to a time capsule. On top of that I occasionally sync my Aperture library to my laptop so I have two copies of it. Videos get backed up to the TC; I should probably do an offsite back up of those. :)

14. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I don't have my Yosemite setup finished yet. I reinstalled after the wifi and iTunes issues showed up in the later betas.

Would be better to just keep your exports in Drive and keep the database local.

15. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I just don't like storing my library in a cloud folder because it will result in constant syncing while doing edits, I don't like to risk sync errors.

16. chad.petree, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015

chad.petree thread starter macrumors 6502

chad.petree

So turns out photostream was duplicating my photos because I transfer my photos with airdrop so the iphone recognizes saves them in the camera roll, I HAVE to use itunes in order for the iphone to save my photos in a different folder :rolleyes: , well I will be sticking to dropbox to import my photos from the Iphone to my computer until photos is ready for showtime, Iphoto is a laggy ugly mess :confused:

17. vexorg, Jan 19, 2015

vexorg macrumors 6502a

I use iCloud for some and PC for others. I like to keep personal photos on the phone and PC; and work photos on my macbook.

It's easy with iPhoto, no so easy to use explorer to browse the files.

18. bransoj macrumors 6502a

This for me as well plus i have the little OneDrive folder sync application installed on my laptop so when thats on it syncs with the cloud drive so they are on the laptop as well. Use similar options for various things just utilising free space that various providers give me.

Dropbox for my general stuff, Google Drive for the My Documents stuff on the home laptop, OneDrive as above and a 50gb Box account for photos off the digital camera.

19. Rhonindk, Jan 19, 2015

Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Very ol' Fashioned.

Primary - I plug in and dump the entire library into a "TBD" folder on my external HDD (Windows). Then I schedule time to cull anything I don't want or dups. Once culled, I split them into proper folders and mirror the finished items on a second HDD.

Secondary - I'll dump them into Dropbox until I can perform a HDD dump.

On my iPhone, once I have dumped them, I will select and delete anything I don't want locally. I will then copy the remaining photos into specific folders. I tend to minimize the number of "on device" photos as this tends (or appears) to grow the "Other" mem eater on my device.

It works and encourages me to keep up with my culling.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This is what I do. It seems like the easiest, most efficient way. All of the photos I take are on all of my devices and also on iCloud.com. You need to always keep large capacity devices though.

21. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

All my photos all 40k of them get uploaded to my Mac via iphoto when I plug in my phone to charge or sync to iTunes. I don't use icloud for back up I still straight back up to ITunes the old fashion way lol

22. kissfan macrumors regular

kissfan

iPhoto on the iMac, imported and then managed into events/faces/etc.

Events are then synced back to the iPhone/iPad as I deem them necessary.

23. vexorg macrumors 6502a

Fine if you want to keep all photos. I have personal and work photos on my phone. I don't keep personal photos on my work macbook, it would be nice if it didn't try to download previously deleted photos every time you connect. An option of 'all' or 'new from last import' would be good to stop it offering all iPhone photos every time.

24. gordon1234, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015

gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

I've been quite happy with Dropbox (well, Carousel) On my phone. It automatically backs up all my photos whenever I'm on WiFi. They recently added a feature where you can actually have Carousel delete photos from your device if they've been backed up and local space is low. I may look at iCloud Photo Library when it's out of beta.

25. LaurieAnn macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

I upload them via Amazon Prime Photo, Google + Photo, and OneDrive Apps. Then I copy them to external drives.

Amazon Prime offers unlimited full size photo storage. Google + offers unlimited photo storage but they shrink each picture size if you're set to unlimited storage. OneDrive is the fastest and easiest to navigate but my storage limit is only 30gb.