how do you backup your data with your MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kidwithdimples, Feb 7, 2011.

1. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Just wondering what methods people use to backup their data.

Is it the infamous Time Machine?

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

No, I use My Book World Edition. Have it set up to constantly back up both the Mac side and the Bootcamp Windows side.

3. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Yup time machine onto my 2 TB external HDD.

4. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Time Machine.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the infamous Time Machine and carbon copy cloner:cool:

6. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Ccc so easy

7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

8. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I have three external G Technology drives. One is dedicated to Time Machine and the others are duplicates containing images and business documents.

9. RKpro macrumors 6502

I have two CCC backups, one is an incremental backup that I do on a daily basis.

The other is a disk image (it's really just a bootable/clonable partition on an external disk) with a clean install of 10.6 and my essential software. This way I can re-clone and go to a "clean" install in 10 minutes if I ever need to.

10. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did the entire HDD clone last night. Took about an hour and 15 mins.

I was wondering if I do the incremental backup... do you just choose what files you want to backup and will it override my clone?

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

12. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Why infamous? (I use Time Machine too.)

13. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Time machine on Time Capsule daily

external HD with Super duper once a month

(both kept on site)

then another external kept off site backed up every 3-4 months just in case of fire or theft.

simple, multiple times just in case

(I had a bad experience with my time machine BU failing and a Super Duper BU which failed too so I lost some data) Doesn't happen often, but happened once so I can't be too careful with my family photos and files!)

14. INEEDANOTEBOOK macrumors member

Why infamous? Time Capsule is (in)famous for letting you down without warning but TM... why?

15. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I use Time Machine because I am too lazy and not proactive enough to use something better. It has a lot of problems, I won't go into them all but my main beef with TM is that it does not recognise the computer correctly after restoring from a backup. So if I do a complete restore, TM then attempts to back up my whole computer again and I run out of space on my backup drive. This results in me having to delete all my old backups and start from scratch which somewhat kills the advantage of having incremental backups in the first place.

However, it has never actually led to any data loss for me so I'm not rushing to find a better solution.

16. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

my backup solution...

I have a 1TB nas western digital my book that i transfer everything onto - but i also have a passport western digi 500gb that i use for out and about and that seems to suit me fine - plus i can plug this into the 1tb and set the drive to copy anything off onto the 1tb auto :D

i dont actually backup the mac with time machine or anything like that - just if i need to format i'll format...

nothing major is stored on the mbpro think worst case would be i'd loose my fav's and maybe a few wallpapers...

all my email accounts are imap!

17. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Time Machine has let me down twice now when I`ve needed to do a full restore so I have little faith in it now.
    CCC and dual manual backups on external drives now.
    I still use TM but have little faith in it for full restores in the event of a mojor problem.

18. c1phr macrumors 6502

For right now, I just save anything essential to dropbox (Xcode/Eclipse projects, school documents, etc).

I have a external hard drive, but it has to be shared with a Windows machine, so I have a 150gb TM partition. But when I used it, it was a big hassle to always plug that thing in with its tiny cord, and I'm not always at my desk where it is.

I've been looking for another solution, thinking I might have to go with a NAS.

19. TheRocketmac, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

TheRocketmac macrumors member

TheRocketmac

1. Local backup with TM or CCC (depending on how I feel), then goes into firesafe (TL-15 rated).
    2. Local backup with copy to another drive (from the first backup)
    3. Crashplan remote backup of entire HD and external drive with all pictures/music that doesn't stay on the macbook pro.
    4. Copy made in 2 goes to my bank safe deposit box every week (haven't been doing this lately ~ lazy).

20. menomano macrumors member

jeez, what kind of mission critical CIA stuff do you work on at home or are you just OCD?

21. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

If he tells you, he'll have to kill you.

22. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

I currently do CCC as well. Do you do incremental or entire backup?
    I also use Dropbox (since I have 18.48GB) for school work basically. It's easy.

Jebus Christ!

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use CCC. You do an entire backup initially, then update that backup with incremental backups periodically.