How do you carry an iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by piatti, Feb 5, 2012.

1. piatti macrumors 6502a

piatti

We do have a car but I would like to see how I could carry the iMac in my public bus.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Subish macrumors member

With a gun at your side! lol

That iLugger looks neat but where are you carrying that thing to? Starbucks?

Don't be THAT guy.

[​IMG]

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Another debt you have to pay :D

OP: I would get what the previous poster suggested or a pelican box, or the box that it came it.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

6. piatti thread starter macrumors 6502a

piatti

And then since it's so heavy, what kind of wheeled thing do you place it in?

7. Chorny macrumors member

I was going to post that café pic . . .

I've been car-free for about a decade and am well versed in taking various things on transit.

I'd use original box and packaging if you still have it.

Wind packing or duct tape around the bottom and the top multiple times, leaving 2-3" of slack on the top each time. and then fold/crunch the loose part in on itself to make a carry handle.

I do this for all sorts of things from electronics to pies.

The only thing is this is a one-time solution-- you have to cut the tape to extract the mac at your destination.

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I'm male so its not a problem as it even has a handle on top of the box.

9. simsaladimbamba

The strange thing though, the iMac box, and all other Mac boxes, include a handle, thus all thus taping is not required.
    [​IMG]

----------

http://megacase.de/custom/27-imac-trolley-flightcase-with-accessoires-box/?lng=en

10. Chorny macrumors member

Good call. My blank white box from my 2010 refurb is sitting arm's reach from me and if it wasn't covered with junk I would have caught that . . .

----------

So, original box plus one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref...,n:15743161,k:luggage+cart&sort=relevancerank

Should = happiness?

11. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2466

Of course this only applies to an iMac G5 but I think Intel processor iMac's would have the same instructions.

12. simsaladimbamba

I guess, removing cables is implied when transporting a machine, though nowadays I don't know.

13. leman macrumors 604

Well, the 27" its around 20 kg, not really comfortable, but I wouldn't call it heavy. And the handle is great. I agree that it might be a bit problematic if you are a small, tender woman, but than again, in that case you probably know a guy or two that would carry it for you. If you are a healthy guy, you don't have any excuse for not doing it yourself :)

14. MissReena macrumors newbie

Be careful with the original boxes....even though they have a handle, I wouldn't trust it. When we moved a few months ago, the only thing in the box was my iMac, packed the way it was when I bought it, and when my husband picked up the box by the handle, the handle actually came out of the box. Luckily it happened when someone else was around, and they were able to grab the other end of the box!

15. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

lol

16. bungiefan89 macrumors 6502a

I will add pics to this post later today, but for now, I'll say that I hold my 27" iMac in an upright position with the screen facing towards my body and holding it under both my arms in front. I can also manage to hold it under just one arm, although this causes some strain after a while.

I'm also blessed with a super delightful not-available-in-stores (because it was a homemade birthday present ;) ) cover for my iMac, which is kind of like a small, thick mattress cover that clings to the front of the computer's glorious screen. The cover only protects the front and glass of the computer because the rest is made of aluminum and thus doesn't need protection! :D

As for carrying around the keyboard and power cord and whatever else, that should go in like a backpack or something.

17. camardelle macrumors 6502

This is timely since I'll need to be bringing my iMac to school to update the os maybe. Updating via home internet is sketchy due to being on HughesNet (ripoff) and exceeding my daily allowance. I updated my MacBook Pro today and it was a 1.3+gig downlowad. Way too much for my home internet to handle unfortunately.

18. simsaladimbamba

Why not download the COMBO or CLIENT UPDATE for whatever version you want to update via your MBP and transfer that file to your iMac at home?

19. camardelle macrumors 6502

I'm at the Apple website now. I just download the update and copy it to my iMac? Would I then click on it and it'd install itself?

Also, I should get the client copy, not the server one correct?

Honestly, I totally appreciate the help. I'm learning Mac stuff as fast as I can but it's still very new. Noob apologies extended Sim.

----------

Also, I can just carry it home via usb stick if I can get the file from the Apple site, right?

20. simsaladimbamba

Yes and yes.

Yes. If you are still unsure what version to get, tell us what Mac OS X version you have now and what version you want. But I guess it is 10.7.3 you want and 10.7.2 you have, then this is the correct one you need to download and copy and install. It is the Combo installer, which can be used with 10.7.0, 10.7.1 and 10.7.2. It seems Apple has not uploaded an update from 10.7.2 to 10.7.3.

Honestly, I totally appreciate the help. I'm learning Mac stuff as fast as I can but it's still very new. Noob apologies extended Sim.

Yes, as a USB flash memory thumb drive is just a storage medium.

21. camardelle macrumors 6502

Done!

Got the download and it just finished copying to my thumbdrive. I'll get it updated tonight when I get home. I love our fast connection at school. :D:D

Thanks again Sim. You must be an Apple genius, or some 12 year old home school Einstein working online college classes, right? Kudos to you again for your help. :apple:

22. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

carry it like a shield with your forearm under the pedestal between the back of the iMac and the pedestal.

23. simsaladimbamba

I am neither. Open me a Terminal window and I am baffled, though not completely. And I am still learning after seven years of having Mac OS X. Just the day before yesterday I learnt about the service order in System Preferences > Network, to have one network connection preferred over another.

24. camardelle macrumors 6502

LOL Thanks again Sim. I always appreciate the efforts of everyone here on the boards. Have a great day.

25. camardelle macrumors 6502

Just as a follow up and completely off topic from the OP's post, I did as Sim said and it worked like a charm. Thanks again guys!